You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Gareth Thomas Documentary Alfie v Homophobia T
September 19 2019 5.46pm

Gareth Thomas Documentary Alfie v Homophobia T

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 7 of 42 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Goalpost1's Profile Goalpost1 Flag Worcester Park 28 Jul 17 2.20pm Send a Private Message to Goalpost1 Add Goalpost1 as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

Have you ever tried one?

I am a carnivore and whilst my local hostelry does an excellent burger the veggie burger is actually nicer

Just have a burger at the Palace, there is f*** all meat in them!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Frickin Saweet's Profile Frickin Saweet Flag Just outside The Cronx 28 Jul 17 2.30pm Send a Private Message to Frickin Saweet Add Frickin Saweet as a friend

Originally posted by Goldfiinger


Agreed, you couldn't and wouldn't singing racist chants and just label them banter. People should try to understand it's a very similar thing.

this is where there is a nuance though. It's not like Palace fans are singing 'we hate gays' at matches, and I seriously doubt that many Palace fans really hate or feel threatened by a gay person (who really cares about someone's sexuality these days). It's just the thing we take the p1ss out of Brighton fans for and unless you're one of either supporter, or have a similar rivalry with another club, you'll ever get it. Right or wrong as that may be, Gareth Thomas' documentary was always going to be what it was, whether there was any input from fans or not. Those who thought about meeting him and didn't made a wise decision.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View c_block_shedevil's Profile c_block_shedevil Flag London 28 Jul 17 2.38pm Send a Private Message to c_block_shedevil Add c_block_shedevil as a friend

Originally posted by Lyons550

Its a shame its been deleted, though I appreciate the reasoning for it. That way yourself and others commenting on the media 'rustling' about it would understand the context far better and realise it really wasnt anything like as bad as its being made out to be....as i said elsewhere it's all about context but when media (esp Social media and t***ter) get involved all sorts of reasoning goes out of the window unfortunately.

Still, I think by reading this thread alone you'll get that jist anyhoo...OOoooo Berlin...great place

Enjoy

Oh come on Lyon, how can you say it wasn't as bad as it's being made out? There's already one poster on here that's defending his disgusting actions by calling us PC warriors (when in fact it is clearly he who is disturbed and needs help).

Maybe some posts were made in jest, but to a new poster or outsider, how do you think these posts look? Some of the stuff was vile.

 


I'm tough. I'm ambitious. I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, I'm OK with that.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 28 Jul 17 2.56pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by c_block_shedevil

Oh come on Lyon, how can you say it wasn't as bad as it's being made out? There's already one poster on here that's defending his disgusting actions by calling us PC warriors (when in fact it is clearly he who is disturbed and needs help).

Maybe some posts were made in jest, but to a new poster or outsider, how do you think these posts look? Some of the stuff was vile.

There were certainly a couple of posts with which I was deeply uncomfortable. But I think Lyons' point is that overall the thread contained lots of reasonable people being reasonable and two or three people either trying to be WUMs or who genuinely are 'of dubious character'. Not fair for the sh*t to stick to the majority of us. Maybe cards should indeed have been dished. But then back to my point about if you block people from airing their views there can never be debate and everyone gets more entrenched.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lyons550's Profile Lyons550 Flag Shirley 28 Jul 17 3.25pm Send a Private Message to Lyons550 Add Lyons550 as a friend

Originally posted by c_block_shedevil

Oh come on Lyon, how can you say it wasn't as bad as it's being made out? There's already one poster on here that's defending his disgusting actions by calling us PC warriors (when in fact it is clearly he who is disturbed and needs help).

Maybe some posts were made in jest, but to a new poster or outsider, how do you think these posts look? Some of the stuff was vile.

Exactly...out of 23,000 odd registered ones, from one message board out of? (3...4) for one club out of 90 odd...context...that's all...context

 


The Voice of Reason In An Otherwise Mediocre World

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View c_block_shedevil's Profile c_block_shedevil Flag London 28 Jul 17 3.47pm Send a Private Message to c_block_shedevil Add c_block_shedevil as a friend

Originally posted by Lyons550

Exactly...out of 23,000 odd registered ones, from one message board out of? (3...4) for one club out of 90 odd...context...that's all...context

True. I guess we tend to focus on the few negative posts rather than the positive posts.

Well I hope those few people that said those revolting things are happy about dragging our club through the mud. They should be ashamed of themselves.

 


I'm tough. I'm ambitious. I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, I'm OK with that.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hambo's Profile Hambo Flag Crawley 28 Jul 17 3.48pm Send a Private Message to Hambo Add Hambo as a friend

Although I still have mod powers I rarely have time to help moderate the site these days.

The thread in question and it's inclusion in the programme I think should be seen as a chance to highight and challenge certain behaviours and opinions. It was doing that and this thread can do the same.

As for Parchmore not being able to comprehend the difference between political correctness and equality, I think he's far from the only one. It's also particularly tragic when someone views "PC" as a negative. Each to their own though.

Football fans are behind the times on this issue.

I think there is always a point to be made about context and intention behind chants at a football match, but the point remains that if your actions cause offence or upset to others, why wouldn't you want to modify your behaviour?

The only real answer to that would be because you want to cause offence - and if that is the case then you can't complain when people are offended.

I am glad the thread has now been pulled, it was the appropriate reaction to what was a generally pathetic set of responses. It's a shame the healthy discussion part was lost in the idiocy. It was always going to be left out of the documentary though - you know full well that from moment one there was an agenda there and the agenda wasn't to paint a balanced view.

Last season on Hol Radio we talked about challenging homophobia, I told a story myself about doing so with some Palace fans at Victoria station.

Palace & Proud are doing some great work on this issue too.

The times are changing - some people take longer than others to adjust. Some people won't. That's the human condition.

It's a shame that this balance wasn't welcome in the BBC programme.

Maybe I'll invite Gareth onto Holradio in the new season and we'll have a more open discussion about the topic.

 


HOL Radio Lead Presenter and sampler of processed meats

HOL radio - Sunday nights [Link]
HOL Radio Twitter:


My Twitter:

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lyons550's Profile Lyons550 Flag Shirley 28 Jul 17 3.57pm Send a Private Message to Lyons550 Add Lyons550 as a friend

Originally posted by Hambo

Although I still have mod powers I rarely have time to help moderate the site these days.

The thread in question and it's inclusion in the programme I think should be seen as a chance to highight and challenge certain behaviours and opinions. It was doing that and this thread can do the same.

As for Parchmore not being able to comprehend the difference between political correctness and equality, I think he's far from the only one. It's also particularly tragic when someone views "PC" as a negative. Each to their own though.

Football fans are behind the times on this issue.

I think there is always a point to be made about context and intention behind chants at a football match, but the point remains that if your actions cause offence or upset to others, why wouldn't you want to modify your behaviour?

The only real answer to that would be because you want to cause offence - and if that is the case then you can't complain when people are offended.

I am glad the thread has now been pulled, it was the appropriate reaction to what was a generally pathetic set of responses. It's a shame the healthy discussion part was lost in the idiocy. It was always going to be left out of the documentary though - you know full well that from moment one there was an agenda there and the agenda wasn't to paint a balanced view.

Last season on Hol Radio we talked about challenging homophobia, I told a story myself about doing so with some Palace fans at Victoria station.

Palace & Proud are doing some great work on this issue too.

The times are changing - some people take longer than others to adjust. Some people won't. That's the human condition.

It's a shame that this balance wasn't welcome in the BBC programme.

Maybe I'll invite Gareth onto Holradio in the new season and we'll have a more open discussion about the topic.

Now THAT is a good idea...

 


The Voice of Reason In An Otherwise Mediocre World

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mad4palace's Profile Mad4palace Flag 28 Jul 17 4.35pm Send a Private Message to Mad4palace Add Mad4palace as a friend

Originally posted by Hambo

Last season on Hol Radio we talked about challenging homophobia, I told a story myself about doing so with some Palace fans at Victoria station.

Palace & Proud are doing some great work on this issue too.

The times are changing - some people take longer than others to adjust. Some people won't. That's the human condition.

It's a shame that this balance wasn't welcome in the BBC programme.

Maybe I'll invite Gareth onto Holradio in the new season and we'll have a more open discussion about the topic.

I think you should, and you'd expect him to want to discuss it. I feel as though GT used the site for the sake of his own programme rather than trying to establish a proper dialogue. The outcome was always going to be negative. It's unfortunate to see we have some way to go to eradicating homophobia like we have with racism but I can see why some people get rubbed up the wrong way (pardon the expression) by some aspects of campaigns or programmes who might come across as having an agenda from the outset.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Part Time James's Profile Part Time James Flag 28 Jul 17 4.43pm Send a Private Message to Part Time James Add Part Time James as a friend

Originally posted by Lyons550

Now THAT is a good idea...

Yes, I like that suggestion and it would've been great if that had been his first port-of-call as well, although I am not criticising him for not being aware of that avenue even if I would criticise him for other things (NOT his sexuality before anyone thinks I'm saying that).


No long in response to the Hambo/Lyons exchange:
I don't think there's been anyone subsequently defending the seriously negative/forum-rule-breaking comments made on that thread by the way, and if I remember correctly, I don't think they got any/much backing to begin with. I hope that's obvious.

 




Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View topcat's Profile topcat Online Flag Holmesdale / Surbiton 28 Jul 17 5.02pm Send a Private Message to topcat Add topcat as a friend

Originally posted by Hambo

Maybe I'll invite Gareth onto Holradio in the new season and we'll have a more open discussion about the topic.

An excellent idea. Perhaps you could say that you are going to be in a certain pub then express surprise when he doesn't turn up.

I was contacted by PM and agreed to answer any questions but wanted them put in writing so that I could reply in writing. I didn't receive a reply.

 


It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 28 Jul 17 5.05pm Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

perchance to ask Paul Scholes of his ginger-based abuse

or Paul Gascoine and his Mars bar collection

Or how Cardiff and Swansea fans sing about sh@gging sheep

Or spuds fans describing themselves as the 'Yld Army'

Or Charlton and their traveller-based supporters group.

Or some rap artist singing about busting a cap in a ghost-face

Personally, I feel homophobia at football is a Non-Issue, unless someone is spunking one out next to me in the gents.

However, I'm wiling to be better-educated on the matter and I think Hambo's suggestion of interviewing Mr Thomas is to be applauded

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 7 of 42 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Gareth Thomas Documentary Alfie v Homophobia T