You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Money in January
July 17 2019 11.28am

Money in January

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 7 of 9 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 29 Nov 18 6.15am Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

It would be better if our midfield actually got into the box when the ball was crossed.
That might get us closer to scoring.
There seems to be a force field stopping them!
Also no one wants to take a punt from distance as regularly as last season.
Old trafford was a prime example.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Den1923's Profile Den1923 Flag 29 Nov 18 11.04am Send a Private Message to Den1923 Add Den1923 as a friend

Originally posted by SouthLondonAP

I think some people are using the news that Benteke had been carrying an injury as an excuse of his poor form.. Has he been carrying it for the last 15 months?

When would this injury have occurred? Would he not have got decent rest during the summer? Once we secured our PL status last season, why wouldn't he have been rested if he had an injury? Why would the coaches have pushed him to play during pre-season if he was carrying an injury?

I would say if he was carrying an injury then it is the one he received versus Halmstad rather than anything he received last season. That means he has not had poor form this season, it is his level based on last season.

That said, at the end of the day he is a striker who has been getting goal scoring chances and missing them rather than not being presented with them. He has missed 'simple' chances with his left, right and head.

I'm not trying to be overly critical of him. I hope he comes back and starts scoring because we can't afford a player of his potential ability and we'd lose too much money if we sold him.

I just don't accept his poor form is due to carrying an injury.

you are spot on, apart from his first season with us he has not performed and has lacked energy and determination, he fails to work defenders off the ball creating spaces for other to move forward with his size and physic he should be able to create havoc in the oppositions box. He also lacks floor skills and most of all can't take penalties. He is to comfortable on his salary, we should sell him for whatever we can get and reinvest in something better!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Booted Eagle's Profile Booted Eagle Flag Bristol 01 Dec 18 9.14am Send a Private Message to Booted Eagle Add Booted Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Den1923

you are spot on, apart from his first season with us he has not performed and has lacked energy and determination, he fails to work defenders off the ball creating spaces for other to move forward with his size and physic he should be able to create havoc in the oppositions box. He also lacks floor skills and most of all can't take penalties. He is to comfortable on his salary, we should sell him for whatever we can get and reinvest in something better!

Whatever the issues with Tekkers, a return to form for him might be our best bet of getting out of the mire. Ayew and Sorloth look further away. We may well spend a lot in Jan on a striker/s but that does not mean it will be fixed. What I'm saying I feel that the positives are more likely to come internally than externally. How many strikers have rocked up in Jan and completely turned a team ? Tevez did it for the Spammers, many seasons ago. Think the major click may well come within the squad already.

 


“ [T]here are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.There are known unknowns; that is to say there are things that, we now know we don't know.But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know. ”
—United States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 01 Dec 18 9.18am Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

We'll know if Benteke has any hunger left when he returns, I hope he is up for it, and has something to prove.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 01 Dec 18 9.35am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Booted Eagle

Whatever the issues with Tekkers, a return to form for him might be our best bet of getting out of the mire. Ayew and Sorloth look further away. We may well spend a lot in Jan on a striker/s but that does not mean it will be fixed. What I'm saying I feel that the positives are more likely to come internally than externally. How many strikers have rocked up in Jan and completely turned a team ? Tevez did it for the Spammers, many seasons ago. Think the major click may well come within the squad already.

Goes without saying that it would be excellent if Benteke started to score goals but we have all been waiting for seemingly an eternity for him to deliver.

One goal since January, and that from the penalty spot, says it all. Game on game we have been hoping he rediscovers his scoring form and game on game he has been totally abject.I suspect there is little faith amongst supporters that he will cure our ills up front.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View premier fan's Profile premier fan Flag BR4 03 Jan 19 1.07pm Send a Private Message to premier fan Add premier fan as a friend

I appreciate this is a fairly confidential matter but do we know how much is available to spend this January?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EagleinSF's Profile EagleinSF Flag San Fransisco 03 Jan 19 4.05pm Send a Private Message to EagleinSF Add EagleinSF as a friend

Originally posted by premier fan

I appreciate this is a fairly confidential matter but do we know how much is available to spend this January?

$1.50 and a book of luncheon vouchers

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 03 Jan 19 4.27pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by EagleinSF

.50 and a book of luncheon vouchers

Half the luncheon vouchers have already been used. The manager asked for an advance on next years LV's but I don't think that happening.

Unless it's a good signing we would be better off saving our money. I think we have enough to muddle through and as another poster mentioned January signings are expensive and not always successful.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 03 Jan 19 6.49pm Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

It would be better if our midfield actually got into the box when the ball was crossed.
That might get us closer to scoring.
There seems to be a force field stopping them!
Also no one wants to take a punt from distance as regularly as last season.
Old trafford was a prime example.

The corner kick will bite the bum of the team taking it if it disregards the counter attack, every ball in from a corner is up for grabs for any player 50/50.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ChrisGC's Profile ChrisGC Flag Wantage 03 Jan 19 7.33pm Send a Private Message to ChrisGC Add ChrisGC as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

The corner kick will bite the bum of the team taking it if it disregards the counter attack, every ball in from a corner is up for grabs for any player 50/50.

This has real merit and has challenged my belief that a short corner is a complete waste. I agree that it's preferable for Palace given our delivery is awful.

That said, I agree with cloughy in that the more the ball goes into the box, the more opportunity to score especially since the clamp down on shirt pulling: there's a real opportunity for a penalty with every delivery AND the ref is watching for it. PVA on the halfway line/ clever fouls of our own should mitigate the counter: I think it's slightly defeatist to cut out long corners competely just in case of a counter: we wouldn't advocate passing indirect freekicks sideways or backwards with no attempt to shoot just in case they hit the wall and the opposition countered.

England at the world cup, and ourselves with Scott Dann as mentioned earlier shows how a well drilled, practiced corner is a weapon.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 03 Jan 19 10.36pm Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by ChrisGC

This has real merit and has challenged my belief that a short corner is a complete waste. I agree that it's preferable for Palace given our delivery is awful.

That said, I agree with cloughy in that the more the ball goes into the box, the more opportunity to score especially since the clamp down on shirt pulling: there's a real opportunity for a penalty with every delivery AND the ref is watching for it. PVA on the halfway line/ clever fouls of our own should mitigate the counter: I think it's slightly defeatist to cut out long corners competely just in case of a counter: we wouldn't advocate passing indirect freekicks sideways or backwards with no attempt to shoot just in case they hit the wall and the opposition countered.

England at the world cup, and ourselves with Scott Dann as mentioned earlier shows how a well drilled, practiced corner is a weapon.

Our team has not been the best prepared for attacking corners, this will change very soon with Wickham's improved performances and the arrival of Dann and Benteke ..defending teams will then find our corners much more of a challenge.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View premier fan's Profile premier fan Flag BR4 03 Jan 19 11.36pm Send a Private Message to premier fan Add premier fan as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

Our team has not been the best prepared for attacking corners, this will change very soon with Wickham's improved performances and the arrival of Dann and Benteke ..defending teams will then find our corners much more of a challenge.

You're joking right?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 7 of 9 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Money in January