You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Poverty in the UK
December 14 2018 7.12pm

Poverty in the UK

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

 

View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 16 Nov 18 7.16pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Pussay Patrol

This is what we should be getting angry about

[Link]

14m people officially live in Poverty
1.5m classified as destitute

That's Britain in 2018, absolutely shameful

But as long as we keep blaming immigration for all our problems it will continue

I have a couple of points:
1. This seems to be a report from one UN expert. Do we know anything about his politics? Does he have a reputation for being impartial? He spent months on this report out of interest why? Why the UK? Are there other UN experts doing other Western countries? If not why not?

2. He says that poverty in the UK is political. Well you can say that about any country. How you treat people is always political it shouldn't be but it is. Any country can spend more on the poor and less on something else so that is hardly a revelation.

3. Do we know if his numbers of people in poverty are generally accepted as accurate? Having grown up very poor I do have a problem with how the UK measures poverty. A discussion for another time, for now I am interested in is he in the ballpark?

4. With all of the above in mind he may be 100% right however the UN is not an independent body as it likes to claim. A so called independent UN panel agreed that the UK was violating Juliane Assange's right and keeping him prisoner in the Embassy. I suspect most of us thought that was a crock and showed the UN expert panel to be idiots.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Online Flag 16 Nov 18 7.18pm Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by PalazioVecchio

In 1970 a young bloke could leave school, get a job and buy a house. Often with a stay-at-home wife.

Sounds like my life. I rented for about three years then bought a house when in my early twenties - also with a stay at home wife

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 16 Nov 18 7.19pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Pussay Patrol

This is what we should be getting angry about

[Link]

14m people officially live in Poverty
1.5m classified as destitute

That's Britain in 2018, absolutely shameful

But as long as we keep blaming immigration for all our problems it will continue

But immigration is good for Britain. We should all be rich.
You are trapped in your own net.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 16 Nov 18 7.37pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

Sounds like my life. I rented for about three years then bought a house when in my early twenties - also with a stay at home wife

with just a basic schooling ? the 1970s were an idyll compared to now.
Climate, stock of animals still alive, oceans without plastic, fish, butterflies, untouched wildernesses, hunter-gatherer tribes untouched by western toxic crap, nation-States unsullied by multiculturalist garbage, ..... even the football was more real for the working classes.

now its all iPhones and dogsh.1t

 


34,300 reasons to love Selhurst in 2021

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dannyboy1978's Profile dannyboy1978 Flag 16 Nov 18 7.44pm Send a Private Message to dannyboy1978 Add dannyboy1978 as a friend

Originally posted by PalazioVecchio

forget about wages.

Housing has become beyond the reach of many due to overly abundant demand (immigration).

In 1970 a young bloke could leave school, get a job and buy a house. Often with a stay-at-home wife.

2018 - stay on in education for many more years, stay-at-home wife ? less likely. Either rent forever or get up to your eyeballs in mortgage debt.

overcrowding ?
The number of people per square-foot of property is evidence that our lifestyle is going backwards.

There are now ghetto houses with dozens of people living in each.

And London has got so expensive for the middle classes that they are voting with their feet. And your choice is to live expensive where there are jobs or to live cheap in a dump like Stoke-on-Trent.

Edited by PalazioVecchio (16 Nov 2018 7.19pm)

Wow, that really hits home. Good post


I've come to realise it's all about big business that's all governments care about, f*** the little man

Edited by dannyboy1978 (16 Nov 2018 7.48pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag Wisbech, England 16 Nov 18 7.55pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by PalazioVecchio

forget about wages.

Housing has become beyond the reach of many due to overly abundant demand (immigration).

In 1970 a young bloke could leave school, get a job and buy a house. Often with a stay-at-home wife.

2018 - stay on in education for many more years, stay-at-home wife ? less likely. Either rent forever or get up to your eyeballs in mortgage debt.

overcrowding ?
The number of people per square-foot of property is evidence that our lifestyle is going backwards.

There are now ghetto houses with dozens of people living in each.

And London has got so expensive for the middle classes that they are voting with their feet. And your choice is to live expensive where there are jobs or to live cheap in a dump like Stoke-on-Trent.

Edited by PalazioVecchio (16 Nov 2018 7.19pm)

Good post.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Online Flag Croydon 16 Nov 18 7.59pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

We should have put this behind us years ago.

I can echo posters with memories of the 1970's.

The old association with sloth and unemployment is just not valid, the new poor are all in work.

It is 2018 for chrissake why is this not dealt with, together with homelessness and other ills.

It probably costs more not to deal with them.

In the 1970s we had a labour government much criticised but we were a much more balanced and responsible society.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag Wisbech, England 16 Nov 18 8.02pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

We should have put this behind us years ago.

I can echo posters with memories of the 1970's.

The old association with sloth and unemployment is just not valid, the new poor are all in work.

It is 2018 for chrissake why is this not dealt with, together with homelessness and other ills.

It probably costs more not to deal with them.

In the 1970s we had a labour government much criticised but we were a much more balanced and responsible society.

Unless you needed your dead buried.....the unions were like the far left today.....loonies ruining the country.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 16 Nov 18 8.09pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

We should have put this behind us years ago.

I can echo posters with memories of the 1970's.

The old association with sloth and unemployment is just not valid, the new poor are all in work.

It is 2018 for chrissake why is this not dealt with, together with homelessness and other ills.

It probably costs more not to deal with them.

In the 1970s we had a labour government much criticised but we were a much more balanced and responsible society.

But I thought we were all racists in the 70's. Make up your mind.
In the 70's, Britain was run by the unions with Labour saying yes to their every demand. Productivity was rock bottom and many people still had outside toilets.

Or were you talking about another 1970's?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 16 Nov 18 8.23pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

the 1970s

the hire-and-fire culture had not set in. So relative job security.

simple technology meant many jobs required the intellect of a gnat.

Peter Cook & Dudley Moore could say 'c..nt' in public without getting lynched by lefties.

comedy was funny.

no obesity epidemic....look at all the old photos. An entire football stadium full of skinny feckers.

intellectuals on telly, in the pub, doing odd jobs,

moderate drinking mostly everywhere

2018
minimum-wage jobs that require you to be awake and sober at all times, and ideally young.

queues of traffic, public transport nightmares, queues for seemingly everything.

dodgy highly processed food everywhere turning us into americans.

thicks on telly, thicks in parliament, thicks being worshipped for their opinions,

binge drinkers fighting, p1ssing and puking everywhere. Especially the girls.


Go and watch Fawlty Towers or the Gary Oldman 'Tinker, tailor, soldier,spy' and feel misty eyed for a world without cameras, airport security, and call centres.

 


34,300 reasons to love Selhurst in 2021

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Pussay Patrol's Profile Pussay Patrol Online Flag 16 Nov 18 8.25pm Send a Private Message to Pussay Patrol Add Pussay Patrol as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Unless you needed your dead buried.....the unions were like the far left today.....loonies ruining the country.

Conservatives been in power since 2010

presiding over a country in poverty

 


Why did Tong Po think running at Kurt with a flame would make any difference?

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag Wisbech, England 16 Nov 18 8.29pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Pussay Patrol

Conservatives been in power since 2010

presiding over a country in poverty


If you think these are conservatives...

I could stick a label on you with a name on it.......it doesn't make you that name.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Poverty in the UK