You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Palace v Grimsby (FA Cup)
August 20 2019 11.30pm

Palace v Grimsby (FA Cup)

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 16 of 16 « First< 12 13 14 15 16

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View becky's Profile becky Flag over the moon 07 Jan 19 2.06pm Send a Private Message to becky Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add becky as a friend

Originally posted by peterg

I think there's a problem about revisiting a decision where the ref has made a judgment call, as on Saturday. VAR is good for judgments of fact, such as offside and goal-lines. Not so sure about this one, although it was an appalling foul. I felt sorry for the Grimsby on their big day out - but relieved at no mid-week replay for us!

Exactly! The ref in the split second he has available to him makes a judgement; VAR shows whether that judgement was right or wrong - in this case it was the right judgement but in fact, after a considered review, of a far more severe nature than he first thought. In the end, it was the correct punishment to fit the offense.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View topcat's Profile topcat Flag Holmesdale / Surbiton 07 Jan 19 2.30pm Send a Private Message to topcat Add topcat as a friend

A lot of football is subjective, making refereeing so difficult. I was still in the queue outside when the actual tackle happened but having seen the replay, there is no doubt that it was a straight red card offense.

Football fans always blame the ref, or the fouled player (or VAR) rather than looking at the stupidity of their own player. It's possible that their manager did a Watford but it backfired due to VAR.

 


It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View spartakev2's Profile spartakev2 Flag Anerley 07 Jan 19 2.35pm Send a Private Message to spartakev2 Add spartakev2 as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

A red should become the offender leaving the field of play and banned from playing with no pay for the duration that the severity of the foul warrants, the team should not be punished for an individuals mistake, another player should be allowed to replace him immediately.

Ha ha. Wind up merchant

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View peterg's Profile peterg Flag Anerley 07 Jan 19 5.33pm Send a Private Message to peterg Add peterg as a friend

Originally posted by topcat

A lot of football is subjective, making refereeing so difficult. I was still in the queue outside when the actual tackle happened but having seen the replay, there is no doubt that it was a straight red card offense.

Football fans always blame the ref, or the fouled player (or VAR) rather than looking at the stupidity of their own player. It's possible that their manager did a Watford but it backfired due to VAR.

Yes, I missed it too, because of the queue at gate number 9. I was making my way to my seat as the Grimsby player was walking off, and no-one around me knew what had happened. Most seemed to think it was just a yellow and missed the player walking off - probably because it all went on behind the pillar we were sitting by.

 


The right place at the right time

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 07 Jan 19 6.42pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by topcat

A lot of football is subjective, making refereeing so difficult. I was still in the queue outside when the actual tackle happened but having seen the replay, there is no doubt that it was a straight red card offense.

Football fans always blame the ref, or the fouled player (or VAR) rather than looking at the stupidity of their own player. It's possible that their manager did a Watford but it backfired due to VAR.

Looking at the incident and the timing of it, I am not convinced it was a mistake. Andros has been our most dangerous player and I suspect the Grimsby player thought he would take a yellow to slow Andros down early in the game when there was even a chance he would get away without a yellow. He didn't expect VAR to intervene.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 07 Jan 19 7.08pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Red card offense (sic) seems to have crept into this thread. Please may we all agree that the word is ‘offence’?

Yours pedantically.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 07 Jan 19 7.29pm Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Looking at the incident and the timing of it, I am not convinced it was a mistake. Andros has been our most dangerous player and I suspect the Grimsby player thought he would take a yellow to slow Andros down early in the game when there was even a chance he would get away without a yellow. He didn't expect VAR to intervene.

Absolutely. He knew what he was doing.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 07 Jan 19 7.31pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by southnorwoodhill

Absolutely. He knew what he was doing.

Irrelevant. As I’ve already posted, a dangerous foul is a dangerous foul, whether intended or not.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 07 Jan 19 10.45pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by YT

Irrelevant. As I’ve already posted, a dangerous foul is a dangerous foul, whether intended or not.

Totally relevant.

I don’t remember anyone commenting that if it wasn’t intentional then it shouldn’t be a red

But if it was premeditated then it was both dangerous and cynical, which affects how I view the player, the manager and the team.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Food Cons's Profile Food Cons Flag 09 Jan 19 8.34am Send a Private Message to Food Cons Add Food Cons as a friend

Originally posted by southnorwoodhill

Absolutely. He knew what he was doing.


Lots of Palace fans (not just on here on Twitter, Reddit, etc) seem to have this opinion. As someone that has watched Fox week in week out since he signed for us last season, I can say without a shadow of a doubt he isn't a malicious player. Added to that, there is also the fact that his wife was over especially for the game from The States, so I highly doubt he would have intentionally risked even a booking in the 2nd minute. It was of course a red, it was just over zealous and he was pumped up before the match had settled.

Was a great day out nevertheless, was really impressed by the Palace turnout and I genuinely hope you can kick on and start banging a few more in and trouble the top half of the Prem table in the coming months. Good luck for the rest of the cup and for the season going forward.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 09 Jan 19 9.23am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Food Cons


Lots of Palace fans (not just on here on Twitter, Reddit, etc) seem to have this opinion. As someone that has watched Fox week in week out since he signed for us last season, I can say without a shadow of a doubt he isn't a malicious player. Added to that, there is also the fact that his wife was over especially for the game from The States, so I highly doubt he would have intentionally risked even a booking in the 2nd minute. It was of course a red, it was just over zealous and he was pumped up before the match had settled.

Was a great day out nevertheless, was really impressed by the Palace turnout and I genuinely hope you can kick on and start banging a few more in and trouble the top half of the Prem table in the coming months. Good luck for the rest of the cup and for the season going forward.

This is a plausible explantion for the challenge.
Fox is a player that Jolley signed from his previous club in Sweden.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 16 of 16 « First< 12 13 14 15 16

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Palace v Grimsby (FA Cup)