You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Renew for the right.
July 20 2019 10.57pm

Renew for the right.

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 3 First< 1 2 3

 

View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag Wisbech, England 07 Jan 19 8.48pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by steve1984

The art school video you posted.

[Link]

I never had any intention of becoming an artist before I went to art school to do a degree. I wanted a degree because I figured that it might be useful when applying for work and that some employers wouldn't care too much that it was only a qualification in how to draw pictures.

When I found work in Budapest I needed a degree in order to get a work permit so it did finally come in handy. But actually a friend of mine just created a degree certificate on a word processor and of course they never checked to see if it was real. So actually mine wasn't that important.

But like the students who Colin Robertson mentions who had jobs whilst taking their degrees who just wanted to be independent, I had a job and was more or less independent.

Another reason I did a fine art degree is that you didn't need any A levels, I left school without any.

While I think heavy criticism can be directed at some degrees in terms of their economic worth and content I do have a soft spot for higher education.

Of course not all degree experiences will be positive, universities the same nor the modern day cost justified.....But I think that if someone has the inclination, dosh and chance to experience university then I'd recommend it.

If only for the drunken leg overs of half pissed trainee nurses that you could....cough cough...find yourself very lucky to end up renting close to.

Ah....fond memories.

But I loved being in love with my subject back then....that's obviously the most important thing...You have to actually enjoy the subject matter.

But I can't speak of anything outside of computing and I can imagine art college....like a lot of the humanities is more than a bit patchy.


Edited by Stirlingsays (07 Jan 2019 8.51pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
steve1984 07 Jan 19 10.30pm

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

..I do have a soft spot for higher education.

I should hope so. Will you go back to teaching?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag Wisbech, England 07 Jan 19 10.45pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by steve1984

I should hope so. Will you go back to teaching?

49 now....teaching, if done properly, is a young person's game. I don't have that same zeal I had at the start but you never know....If I fancy working myself into a heart attack I might just go back to those sixty plus hour weeks.

Despite all the crap and s***e that goes with it with teaching you are essentially helping young people....and that's a noble element and I think that attracts a lot of people into teaching.

But boy....does the profession take advantage of that idealism.

Edited by Stirlingsays (07 Jan 2019 10.48pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
steve1984 07 Jan 19 10.48pm

Yeh it must be a s***e job if your hearts not in it and I can easily understand why at 49 it wouldn't be.

It's kind of interesting because teachers made up a big part of Orban's right wing support base. Ironically under communism their status and remuneration was much higher than after the changes that began in '89. They got completely left behind economically by the change to a market economy.

Edited by steve1984 (07 Jan 2019 10.52pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag Wisbech, England 07 Jan 19 11.17pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by steve1984

Yeh it must be a s***e job if your hearts not in it and I can easily understand why at 49 it wouldn't be.

It's kind of interesting because teachers made up a big part of Orban's right wing support base. Ironically under communism their status and remuneration was much higher than after the changes that began in '89. They got completely left behind economically by the change to a market economy.

Edited by steve1984 (07 Jan 2019 10.52pm)

Politically like most public sector professions teaching is traditionally....well for about a 100 years anyway left learning....that's accelerated in the last twenty years within northern Europe.

Teachers are quite an idealistic bunch left or right so I should imagine the only reason teaching is right wing in Hungary is because it's a reaction against the social problems inherent within communism.....a system forced on them of course.....So they probably see parallels with the EU as too over bearing and interfering over social change.....Well, I'd agree with them of course.


Edited by Stirlingsays (07 Jan 2019 11.20pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
steve1984 07 Jan 19 11.50pm

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

Politically like most public sector professions teaching is traditionally....well for about a 100 years anyway left learning....that's accelerated in the last twenty years within northern Europe.

Teachers are quite an idealistic bunch left or right so I should imagine the only reason teaching is right wing in Hungary is because it's a reaction against the social problems inherent within communism.....a system forced on them of course.....So they probably see parallels with the EU as too over bearing and interfering over social change.....Well, I'd agree with them of course.

Actually there's practically zero desire on the part of Hungarians left or right to leave the EU. All we hear over here is Orban's rhetoric and to be clear if he engineered a hexit then he'd have nothing to steal so that ain't gonna happen.

No communism meant an obvious lack of freedom but it also meant that public servants were rewarded relative to those in commerce (remembering of course that there wasn't much) to a much greater degree than they are here. When the changes came and everything was privatised (or rather misappropriated) their status went down the pan.

You shouldn't forget that Orban was a commie and his illiberal Hungary has much in common with the old regime.

Except for public servants, they're still getting shafted.

Edited by steve1984 (07 Jan 2019 11.53pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Online Flag Wisbech, England 07 Jan 19 11.57pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by steve1984

Actually there's practically zero desire on the part of Hungarians left or right to leave the EU. All we hear over here is Orban's rhetoric and to be clear if he engineered a hexit then he'd have nothing to steal so that ain't gonna happen.

No communism meant an obvious lack of freedom but it also meant that public servants were rewarded relative to those in commerce (remembering of course that there wasn't much) to a much greater degree than they are here. When the changes came and everything was privatised (or rather misappropriated) their status went down the pan.

You shouldn't forget that Orban was a commie and his illiberal Hungary has much in common with the old regime.

Except for public servants, they're still getting shafted.

Edited by steve1984 (07 Jan 2019 11.53pm)

Well I bow to your greater knowledge of the country....though I know communism was forced on them and many died.

I obviously like Orban doing the nationalistic bit over the EU's immigration policies as I'm a nationalist at heart.....and the occasional kidney.

Edited by Stirlingsays (07 Jan 2019 11.58pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
steve1984 08 Jan 19 12.20am

A lot of them died and of course a lot emigrated. I'm no commie but it's always interesting to compare before and after 1989. It hasn't been an easy ride.

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

...and the occasional kidney.


Edited by steve1984 (08 Jan 2019 12.22am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 3 First< 1 2 3

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Renew for the right.