You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Andy Murray
September 15 2019 9.20am

Andy Murray

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

 

ChrisGC Flag Wantage 12 Jan 19 8.47am

Originally posted by chris123

Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, del Potro and Murray - there have been great players in the past, but that's quite a gang. To have beaten them all means Murray is among the very best.

It's all relative. 3 grand slams Vs what, at least a dozen a piece? (barring del potro who, like Murray is an also-ran in comparison). He did well but let's not go mad.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 12 Jan 19 9.11am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

I sympathise with Murray, but the media coverage (I mostly saw BBC) yesterday and continuing today was/is completely excessive; you would think that the guy had died rather than retired. Every day scores of sportsmen and women call time on their career. Relatively-speaking, Murray has been lucky to be able to make it to 32 in top-level sport.

To be clear - I congratulate him on what he’s achieved. I DON’T consider him anti-English. And I wish him well. (And his wife gets a ‘would’ from me).

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Flag Croydon 12 Jan 19 10.53am Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

Originally posted by YT

I sympathise with Murray, but the media coverage (I mostly saw BBC) yesterday and continuing today was/is completely excessive; you would think that the guy had died rather than retired. Every day scores of sportsmen and women call time on their career. Relatively-speaking, Murray has been lucky to be able to make it to 32 in top-level sport.

To be clear - I congratulate him on what he’s achieved. I DON’T consider him anti-English. And I wish him well. (And his wife gets a ‘would’ from me).

That's what I love about your posts YT, always very considered, grown up and sensible, but then you remember where you are and slip the 'would' in for good measure

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Pussay Patrol Flag 12 Jan 19 11.22am

Originally posted by ChrisGC

It's all relative. 3 grand slams Vs what, at least a dozen a piece? (barring del potro who, like Murray is an also-ran in comparison). He did well but let's not go mad.

You could argue he could have won more slams, 5 Aussie finals and lost them all. Bit of a bridesmaid, or the Jimmy White of tennis?

 


Paua oouaarancì Irà chiyeah Ishé galé ma ba oo ah

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View chris123's Profile chris123 Flag hove actually 12 Jan 19 11.41am Send a Private Message to chris123 Add chris123 as a friend

Originally posted by ChrisGC

It's all relative. 3 grand slams Vs what, at least a dozen a piece? (barring del potro who, like Murray is an also-ran in comparison). He did well but let's not go mad.

Check out the 2009 US Open, beat Nadal is the semi in straight sets, Federer in the final in five, and had rotten luck with wrist injuries pretty much since.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 12 Jan 19 11.58am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

That's what I love about your posts YT, always very considered, grown up and sensible, but then you remember where you are and slip the 'would' in for good measure

Thanks, Tom. It may not always be apparent, but that's how I try to be generally - considered (and considerate?) but never taking myself or indeed life too seriously.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
ChrisGC Flag Wantage 12 Jan 19 12.36pm

Originally posted by chris123

Check out the 2009 US Open, beat Nadal is the semi in straight sets, Federer in the final in five, and had rotten luck with wrist injuries pretty much since.

Yes, great victory which he was unable to turn into a trophy.

Whereas Djokavic has won 14 grand slams, Nadal even more and Federer something sick like 20 odd. There's no comparison.

Like mentioning James Milner the same breath as Messi and Ronaldo because he's won the league a couple of times. Good achievement, good player, but put into context...

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View kennybrowns leftfoot's Profile kennybrowns leftfoot Flag Moved Again.. Banstead now Darling... 12 Jan 19 7.55pm Send a Private Message to kennybrowns leftfoot Add kennybrowns leftfoot as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

Just watched his press conference where he has said that he will be retiring from tennis this year due to injury.

Now I don't mind the guy, to be honest I have no real feeling towards him, he certainly seems decent enough, however I must say to see him breaking down in tears in front of a room full of journalists was in my opinion pretty embarrassing.

Now I get that he's passionate and he's saying goodbye to his dreams etc, I really do, so maybe this says more about me than him, but in my mind blokes should never and I mean never behave like that. Man up man.

I hate this expression with a passion... If it was easy enough to just 'man up' then we wouldn't have any mental health issues in the world and wouldn't have such a high suicide rate amongst men.

Yes he's a sour faced guy who comes across miserable.. But so bloody what.. Let's remember he had to hide under a table at the Dunblane school massacre whilst Thomas Hamilton shot and killed 16 children... Who knows what effect that has had on him??

He's still the finest tennis player Britain has produced and deserves respect for what he has achieved.

 


Don't waste your time with jealousy. Sometimes your ahead, sometimes your behind, the race is long. But in the end it's only with yourself!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Flag Croydon 12 Jan 19 8.24pm Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

Originally posted by kennybrowns leftfoot

I hate this expression with a passion... If it was easy enough to just 'man up' then we wouldn't have any mental health issues in the world and wouldn't have such a high suicide rate amongst men.

Yes he's a sour faced guy who comes across miserable.. But so bloody what.. Let's remember he had to hide under a table at the Dunblane school massacre whilst Thomas Hamilton shot and killed 16 children... Who knows what effect that has had on him??

He's still the finest tennis player Britain has produced and deserves respect for what he has achieved.

Er I wasn't disprespecting him, in fact it's you who has called him sour faced lol

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kennybrowns leftfoot's Profile kennybrowns leftfoot Flag Moved Again.. Banstead now Darling... 12 Jan 19 11.31pm Send a Private Message to kennybrowns leftfoot Add kennybrowns leftfoot as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

Er I wasn't disprespecting him, in fact it's you who has called him sour faced lol

Yep I know i called him sour faced... he is sour faced... But if you read your original post you did say he should 'man up' did you not??

 


Don't waste your time with jealousy. Sometimes your ahead, sometimes your behind, the race is long. But in the end it's only with yourself!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Flag Croydon 13 Jan 19 12.36am Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

Originally posted by kennybrowns leftfoot

Yep I know i called him sour faced... he is sour faced... But if you read your original post you did say he should 'man up' did you not??

Of course I said he should man up, that was the whole point of this thread was it not?

It's nothing against Murray, I just find grown men crying in public a bit embarrassing. Nobody has died.

It's cool if you disagree though.

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
ChrisGC Flag Wantage 13 Jan 19 8.08am

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

Of course I said he should man up, that was the whole point of this thread was it not?

It's nothing against Murray, I just find grown men crying in public a bit embarrassing. Nobody has died.

It's cool if you disagree though.

Totally agree. The world has gone soft. For him to think it's ok to call a press conference to cry in front of the whole world shows what a state we're in.

I love the phrase 'man up' and think it's underused. When he told his old dear he was going to do this she should have told him to get a grip and man up. Saves him the mental trauma of the future embarrassment of his kids having to watch their old man behave like a man child on telly. Captured forever.

A lot of mental health issues could be nipped in the bud by being told to get a grip rather than validate 'feelings'.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Andy Murray