You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > West Indies v. England Cricket
February 18 2019 9.44am

West Indies v. England Cricket

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 9 of 13 < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

 

View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 01 Feb 19 4.33pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Stuk

TV rights are sold by the home team.


Oh I see....That Sky money is only expressly meant to cover the actual home matches.

And there's me thinking it's meant to have risen the standard of the English cricket team in general.

Good to know.

Edited by Stirlingsays (01 Feb 2019 4.33pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stuk's Profile Stuk Flag Top half 01 Feb 19 4.54pm Send a Private Message to Stuk Add Stuk as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays


Oh I see....That Sky money is only expressly meant to cover the actual home matches.

And there's me thinking it's meant to have risen the standard of the English cricket team in general.

Good to know.

Edited by Stirlingsays (01 Feb 2019 4.33pm)

You mentioned it in the context of this match/series. We just won the last series 3-0 and beat India (the number 1 side) at home in the summer, which the Aussies couldn't manage to do. So were they earning it then?

No, it's to make the sport financially better. Talent makes the standard of cricket better.

You can't buy talent in an international sport/team. It can give you better facilities and supposedly better coaching.

What we needed here was some proper warm up games rather than rocking up and playing two pointless two day games, where the rules of the game weren't even played to.

What channel the game is on and who paid however much for it, isn't relevant IMO.

 


Optimistic as ever

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 01 Feb 19 5.38pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Stuk

You mentioned it in the context of this match/series. We just won the last series 3-0 and beat India (the number 1 side) at home in the summer, which the Aussies couldn't manage to do. So were they earning it then?

No, it's to make the sport financially better. Talent makes the standard of cricket better.

You can't buy talent in an international sport/team. It can give you better facilities and supposedly better coaching.

What we needed here was some proper warm up games rather than rocking up and playing two pointless two day games, where the rules of the game weren't even played to.

What channel the game is on and who paid however much for it, isn't relevant IMO.

No I mentioned it within the context of the standard of the English cricket team.

Referring to the performances in other series has many other variables. The quality of cricket has deteriorated in most sides in the test arena over the years. Australia aren't the team of old and sit fifth in the test rankings and India lose most away series.

Personally, I believe in some measure of value when it comes to large financial outlays. I've been a believer that Sky subscribers, who are there for the cricket, have been receiving poor returns for the cost of supporting the game for many years now.

Just like the Premiership lied about improving the fortunes of the national side when it was launched the same lies were told about English cricket.

We are currently being easily beaten by the eighth ranked test team. West Indian conditions are not that alien to English teams compared to the sub continent and frankly I feel the talk about prior preparation is an over-worn excuse.

As for your ideas on talent and what the money is for...that's a whole different discussion.

Edited by Stirlingsays (01 Feb 2019 5.47pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 01 Feb 19 9.29pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

The cringe continues....At the end of day two the West Indies now lead by 85 runs, with four wickets still remaining.....they have certainly more than earnt....the far less money they receive.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
chateauferret Flag 01 Feb 19 11.11pm

Another s*** performance and another drubbing.

 


============
The Ferret
============

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 02 Feb 19 6.43am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays


Just like the Premiership lied about improving the fortunes of the national side when it was launched the same lies were told about English cricket.

We are currently being easily beaten by the eighth ranked test team. West Indian conditions are not that alien to English teams compared to the sub continent

It's the ECB that's ruining Test cricket as all of the emphasis is now on One day and 20/20

Four day county cricket starts in April and half of the season's games are played in April and May when the ball is swinging around all over the place and anyone who can bowl straight will take wickets and the latter half are played later in the year into Autumn when the ball has started swinging again

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag 02 Feb 19 8.18am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by chateauferret

Another s*** performance and another drubbing.

I wholeheartedly concur with these sentiments.

My dear wife enjoys cricket and having never been to Antigua suggested that we travel there, stay in the Carlisle Bay hotel and watch the match as part of our holiday.I declined preferring to attend the Fulham game !
Perhaps after the Fulham game I will wish that we had undertaken that trip !!!!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View black eagle.'s Profile black eagle. Flag south croydon. 02 Feb 19 8.41am Send a Private Message to black eagle. Add black eagle. as a friend

C'mon you Windies,I hope we can get another 100 plus runs.

Cracking test match, I'm hoping Holder can hit another big score.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 02 Feb 19 6.31pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

It's the ECB that's ruining Test cricket as all of the emphasis is now on One day and 20/20

Four day county cricket starts in April and half of the season's games are played in April and May when the ball is swinging around all over the place and anyone who can bowl straight will take wickets and the latter half are played later in the year into Autumn when the ball has started swinging again

Yep, chasing the money rather than implementation of what's best to maximise the winning chances of the test side.

The ECB are the problem and have been for a long time.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 02 Feb 19 6.32pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by black eagle.

C'mon you Windies,I hope we can get another 100 plus runs.

Cracking test match, I'm hoping Holder can hit another big score.

Looks like another big win for the Windies!

Fully deserved.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View chris123's Profile chris123 Flag hove actually 02 Feb 19 7.59pm Send a Private Message to chris123 Add chris123 as a friend

We need to work out why our test batsmen are playing like it's a one match, and not for the first time.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 02 Feb 19 8.56pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

A loss by 10 wickets.

Hyper delicious cringe.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 9 of 13 < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > West Indies v. England Cricket