You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > BBC fake news - Tommy Robinson
August 19 2019 7.35am

BBC fake news - Tommy Robinson

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 22 of 164 < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 >

 

View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 08 Mar 19 10.29am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by dannyboy1978

But there are opinions and facts?

There are facts.....and then there are interpretations of those facts to fit a worldview.

In the cases where this is hard to do the facts are ignored or undermined in some way.

Edited by Stirlingsays (08 Mar 2019 10.30am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
ChrisGC Flag Wantage 08 Mar 19 10.41am

Originally posted by Mapletree

I am not your mate

But I am sorry you didnít sleep last night

At least you remembered to sign into the right account this time!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
ChrisGC Flag Wantage 08 Mar 19 10.45am

Originally posted by Stirlingsays


It's been shown that if you hold an opinion and someone else comes along and shows you it's wrong or misinformed....the reality is that it's rare that the majority will change that opinion, they are more likely to double down or find another excuse for holding the view.

People hold many of their opinions for emotional reasons, because the worldview is from how they were intellectually built.

The ability to evolve an opinion is a sign of intellectual maturity.

Edited by Stirlingsays (08 Mar 2019 10.20am)

Excellently put. Once someone has taking a position emotionally they will totally reject any evidence to the contrary. It's easier to reject than to change, or god forbid, admit you were wrong. Everybody does it to varying degrees.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 08 Mar 19 11.11am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by ChrisGC

Excellently put. Once someone has taking a position emotionally they will totally reject any evidence to the contrary. It's easier to reject than to change, or god forbid, admit you were wrong. Everybody does it to varying degrees.

Yep, some people take it to such a level that it's almost an art form, like flat earthers.

There's also the reality that on many topics there isn't such a thing as 'right' or correct. It's more about the type of world you'd prefer to live in.....or more pointedly, think you'd prefer to live in....as in, be careful what you wish for.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dannyboy1978's Profile dannyboy1978 Online Flag 08 Mar 19 12.23pm Send a Private Message to dannyboy1978 Add dannyboy1978 as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

There are facts.....and then there are interpretations of those facts to fit a worldview.

In the cases where this is hard to do the facts are ignored or undermined in some way.

Edited by Stirlingsays (08 Mar 2019 10.30am)

But you can't interprit these facts in other anyway so why is TR the bad guy in all this.
[Link]

Edited by dannyboy1978 (08 Mar 2019 12.24pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Penge Eagle's Profile Penge Eagle Flag Beckenham 08 Mar 19 12.24pm Send a Private Message to Penge Eagle Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Penge Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by dannyboy1978

I still don't get why Tommy Robinson is slated for highlighting this long before the authorities [Link]
Surely it's outr police, social services and government who are wrong not tommy robinson.

Because ONE individual is showing them up for what they are Ė dangerously politically correct, authoritarian Ė and they don't like it. We must all do as we're told!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 08 Mar 19 12.30pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by dannyboy1978

But you can't interprit these facts in other anyway so why is TR the bad guy in all this.
[Link]

Edited by dannyboy1978 (08 Mar 2019 12.24pm)

They just ignore what they don't want to address.

Robinson is reserved as the 'bogey man'. They just aren't interested in anything else.

Edited by Stirlingsays (08 Mar 2019 12.32pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 08 Mar 19 7.18pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

I think discussions between posters and mods should be strictly private......though I have no doubt that a reason would and should be given at the time if asked for.

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't be able to bring up cards on the forum because of course we should but I don't think a public review of cards is wise.

As we know mods are not paid, they take their own time out. I definitely support the system of being able to appeal to the mods and them reviewing and discussing but subjecting them to publicly having to debate....potentially every card on the forum would be a disincentive to being a mod.

Edited by Stirlingsays (07 Mar 2019 6.30pm)

I have changed my mind on this

Mods should not need to engage with someone that is carded. They don't have to justify themselves. They don't work alone so it is a considered decision with shared responsibility. There is no appeals process.

I have never seen a card where it wasn't obvious why it happened. You can argue whether the punishment always fits the crime but IMO the crime has always been clear. Sometimes it includes some totting up as well. Attacks on protected categories will always get a reaction, whether veiled or direct.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 08 Mar 19 7.30pm Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

I have changed my mind on this

Mods should not need to engage with someone that is carded. They don't have to justify themselves. They don't work alone so it is a considered decision with shared responsibility. There is no appeals process.

I have never seen a card where it wasn't obvious why it happened. You can argue whether the punishment always fits the crime but IMO the crime has always been clear. Sometimes it includes some totting up as well. Attacks on protected categories will always get a reaction, whether veiled or direct.

As you know I'm not much for 'protected categories' myself but I agree.....though I think a private message, if requested, is purely professional.

There will be decisions we might disagree with but at the end of the day this isn't life or death and perfect consensus isn't a requirement.

As long as people know where they are then that's surely enough on a private forum.

Edited by Stirlingsays (08 Mar 2019 7.50pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
ChrisGC Flag Wantage 08 Mar 19 7.51pm

Originally posted by Mapletree

I have changed my mind on this

Mods should not need to engage with someone that is carded. They don't have to justify themselves. They don't work alone so it is a considered decision with shared responsibility. There is no appeals process.

I have never seen a card where it wasn't obvious why it happened. You can argue whether the punishment always fits the crime but IMO the crime has always been clear. Sometimes it includes some totting up as well. Attacks on protected categories will always get a reaction, whether veiled or direct.

We all know what this is code for....

"Ooooh card coming out of the Midland's"

Everybody sees it for what it is pal.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 09 Mar 19 12.07am Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by ChrisGC

We all know what this is code for....

"Ooooh card coming out of the Midland's"

Everybody sees it for what it is pal.

I am not your pal

You complained you didnít know why you got a yellow. You must be the only person on the HOL who canít work that out

They are always predictable. Some people draw them on purpose. Others just canít help themselves. And some appear to join simply to cause upset, generally having been blocked from other sites.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
ChrisGC Flag Wantage 09 Mar 19 5.59am

Originally posted by Mapletree

I am not your pal

You complained you didnít know why you got a yellow. You must be the only person on the HOL who canít work that out

They are always predictable. Some people draw them on purpose. Others just canít help themselves. And some appear to join simply to cause upset, generally having been blocked from other sites.

Care to enlighten me then?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 22 of 164 < 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > BBC fake news - Tommy Robinson