You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Palace vs Brighton Match Thread
May 21 2019 10.01pm

Palace vs Brighton Match Thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 30 of 34 < 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 11 Mar 19 7.14am Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by becky

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Lucky or not ' by Midlands Eagle

At one point, near the end of the match, a ball came across the goal, about 6 yards from the line and something like 1 foot above Benteke....... the commentators reaction - Oh that's just too high for Benteke to get.......

Even at my age, I could jump 1 ft off the ground if need be!

I came to the conclusion long ago that he is a w@nker.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View tjc47380's Profile tjc47380 Flag 11 Mar 19 7.19am Send a Private Message to tjc47380 Add tjc47380 as a friend

Originally posted by spartakev2
I agree with many of the posts on here. I have the greatest respect for Roy Hodgson, but if I found myself sitting next to him on train, I would ask him the following questions :

a) Why do we need to play three defensive midfielders at home against a bottom-six team? We know that they will come to defend, so why not sacrifice one of those defensive midfield players for a creative midfielder who can move the ball forward through the lines. We have that player : Max Meyer

b) Why do we persist with the same corner routine when it does not seem to have any success. It must be worth trying a short corner to Zaha every now and again to let him run at defenders just outside the box.

c) Once Benteke comes on to the field as a substitute, why not just try something different and bombard their area with high balls in the hope of getting something from a knock-down. However poor Benteke’s confidence is at the moment, he has a really impressive sets of statistics for winning headed duels.

d) We assume that our players spend time studying their opponents before games. Most people watching that game knew that Knockaert would have wanted to cut inside and shoot with his left foot. How on earth can PVA give him so much room to do just what he wanted?

e) To echo the previous poster : why are our attacking players so static? They seem to be on their heels waiting for the ball to come to them. It seems clear from the stands that they should be constantly on the move, encouraging their team mates to find them with a pass. We see this done so often and so effectively every week by other Premiership teams. Why are our players not instructed to make these runs?


It would help if one or two of those players actually moved and tried to loose their marker instead of just standing there waiting for the ball to come to them.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag 11 Mar 19 8.51am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Alexi_the_Eagle

Aside from winning the penalty. Andros had a shocker of a game. So did Batshuayi. Don’t think I’ve ever yelled at my TV that loud whenever Bats and his first touch let him down.

Townsend has been somewhat abject recently and was only sub for the Burnley game. Why on earth did Hodgson not go with the side that started at Burnley? He went back to the same players who have failed to deliver at home game on game and us poor supporters had to endure more predictable dross.

Both the Southampton and Newcastle managers made decisions which turned the game around for their teams but Hodgson is loathe to really deviate from a poor ‘Plan A’.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 11 Mar 19 9.35am Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

Townsend has been somewhat abject recently and was only sub for the Burnley game. Why on earth did Hodgson not go with the side that started at Burnley? He went back to the same players who have failed to deliver at home game on game and us poor supporters had to endure more predictable dross.

Both the Southampton and Newcastle managers made decisions which turned the game around for their teams but Hodgson is loathe to really deviate from a poor ‘Plan A’.


The Hodgson mantra:


If Plan A isn't working

Revert to Plan A

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 11 Mar 19 9.44am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

I don't support those calling for Hodgson being replaced but I will say this about Palace.

110 home league fixtures since coming back into the Premiership winning just 36 of them. losing 54 of them and drawing 20 of them.

Season tickets aren't cheap. I think the average Palace home fan hasn't been served very well and can rightly feel a little miffed.

Every season we are looking over our shoulders at relegation while teams like Wolves come straight up and compete with the big boys.


Edited by Stirlingsays (11 Mar 2019 9.45am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 11 Mar 19 9.52am Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

I don't support those calling for Hodgson being replaced but I will say this about Palace.

110 home league fixtures since coming back into the Premiership winning just 36 of them. losing 54 of them and drawing 20 of them.

Season tickets aren't cheap. I think the average Palace home fan hasn't been served very well and can rightly feel a little miffed.

Every season we are looking over our shoulders at relegation while teams like Wolves come straight up and compete with the big boys.


Edited by Stirlingsays (11 Mar 2019 9.45am)

For every Wolves there are two Fulhams though Stirling

In truth, Wolves is a bigger team in terms of history and fan base. And currently has much deeper pockets with a hugely experienced investor.

[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View batcountry's Profile batcountry Flag Melbourne 11 Mar 19 10.03am Send a Private Message to batcountry Add batcountry as a friend

I don’t know why we don’t play to our strengths which maybe means if we play role a dope then so be it.
I find that some of our best moments are when Zaha, Meyer and Schlupp / McArthur use their quick feet in a triangle in or near the opponents penalty area and this only occurs with a quick break from deep so we’re not outnumbered by defenders. Too much possession doesn’t help us at all.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 11 Mar 19 10.29am Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by batcountry

I don’t know why we don’t play to our strengths which maybe means if we play role a dope then so be it.
I find that some of our best moments are when Zaha, Meyer and Schlupp / McArthur use their quick feet in a triangle in or near the opponents penalty area and this only occurs with a quick break from deep so we’re not outnumbered by defenders. Too much possession doesn’t help us at all.

When we play the top teams at home we don't expect, seek or get more possession of the ball. As you rightly say, too much possession doesn't help us.

Opponents such as Brighton know that their best chance of getting anything from a game is to deny the opposition space. They do this at home, not just away.So little chance of drawing them out unless they have to chase the game.

If we went into every home game with those tactics there would be people moaning that we aren't taking the game to teams enough.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Stirlingsays's Profile Stirlingsays Flag Wisbech, England 11 Mar 19 10.48am Send a Private Message to Stirlingsays Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add Stirlingsays as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

For every Wolves there are two Fulhams though Stirling

In truth, Wolves is a bigger team in terms of history and fan base. And currently has much deeper pockets with a hugely experienced investor.

[Link]

All true of course, but having said that....if you're a Fulham fan you have cause for even louder complaint....though their rise was always built upon quicksand and eventually died with their backer.

I think a Palace season ticket holder should be getting a little better for their money at the moment. Still, like I say....Hodgson has done relatively well for us.

This has been a long standing problem.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Thereandbackagain's Profile Thereandbackagain Flag Crawley 11 Mar 19 11.23am Send a Private Message to Thereandbackagain Add Thereandbackagain as a friend

Once again the Brighton Manager out foxes good old Roy who has been in business for many more years ...He must of known that Brighton would start the same game like when we had them at their place , They doubled up on Wilf and Andros ever time we had the ball , but rather than move the ball quick we again tried to take them on which again wasn't working , to beat a back line of Eight defenders you have to be clever and move it quick and then in turn move yourself quicker ...it was far to easy for them and Roy couldn't even see it ...5 plus corners all the same which they dealt with and our old foe Glenn took the piss all game as a lone striker as he bullied us , chased lost balls and gave away time consuming fouls . It took us till nearly 90 minutes before we showed any form of aggression unlike them who dished it out from the first whistle ...but that would of only come from the manager ...If I am honest it was not Wilfs game again as tries to hard against them and it has the opposite effect , I am sure that if we did meet them in the FA semi it again would be the same type of game set out by them and again we would not have the no how of how to break it down as it seem we have no Plan B and sometimes struggle with Plan A ...Roy is too nice and even when we do beat a team he shakes his head and holds his hand out in the most apologetic way to the opposite number ...I have to work with Two seaweed and on Friday they thought they was going to be on the end of a hiding and now today they are actually not taking the Piss but giving me pity which pains me more

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View RyWa's Profile RyWa Flag Beckenham 11 Mar 19 11.31am Send a Private Message to RyWa Add RyWa as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays

All true of course, but having said that....if you're a Fulham fan you have cause for even louder complaint....though their rise was always built upon quicksand and eventually died with their backer.

I think a Palace season ticket holder should be getting a little better for their money at the moment. Still, like I say....Hodgson has done relatively well for us.

This has been a long standing problem.


Its very frustrating, 15 home games this season, 3 wins and 11 goals, a few of which are penalties.
Away from home i get that we play defensive and hit on the break, but at home where we have to take the game to the opposition (minus top 6 teams) we need to play the attack minded players.

Why Meyer doesn't get a game at home is beyond me.. Jimmy Mac was absolutely terrible on Saturday, yet he lasted the majority of the game while Max was made to watch on until towards the end.

Townsend has arguably been our player of the season, yet he's the first player hooked off.. for Benteke!?
Benteke's career at palace is over, hes rapidly becoming a laughing stock, and has to be carried when he plays.

When Max did come on, we played him on the opposite side to Wilf, even though he and wilf link up together superbly in tight spots in and around the area.

Our set piece routines are clearly not worked on as we seem to have no clue with corners or crossed free kicks.
I recall the days under Pulis and Pardew where we were a real threat from corners, whats happened?

PVA clearly has played himself out of form and needs some time on the bench to realise hes not un-droppable.

Its clear we miss Sakho, he so often starts our attacks with a clever pass, or carries the ball into their half. Our current pairing are less competent footballers and rely more on long ball upto Batshuyai whos not a target man.

Im not going to go on as my venting is probably very boring, but theres so many factors that need addressing.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 11 Mar 19 1.03pm Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by RyWa


Its very frustrating, 15 home games this season, 3 wins and 11 goals, a few of which are penalties.
Away from home i get that we play defensive and hit on the break, but at home where we have to take the game to the opposition (minus top 6 teams) we need to play the attack minded players.

Why Meyer doesn't get a game at home is beyond me.. Jimmy Mac was absolutely terrible on Saturday, yet he lasted the majority of the game while Max was made to watch on until towards the end.

Townsend has arguably been our player of the season, yet he's the first player hooked off.. for Benteke!?
Benteke's career at palace is over, hes rapidly becoming a laughing stock, and has to be carried when he plays.

When Max did come on, we played him on the opposite side to Wilf, even though he and wilf link up together superbly in tight spots in and around the area.

Our set piece routines are clearly not worked on as we seem to have no clue with corners or crossed free kicks.
I recall the days under Pulis and Pardew where we were a real threat from corners, whats happened?

PVA clearly has played himself out of form and needs some time on the bench to realise hes not un-droppable.

Its clear we miss Sakho, he so often starts our attacks with a clever pass, or carries the ball into their half. Our current pairing are less competent footballers and rely more on long ball upto Batshuyai whos not a target man.

Im not going to go on as my venting is probably very boring, but theres so many factors that need addressing.

All your observations are sound, and many here see the same problems. The problem is RH doesn't - he needs to wake up and smell the coffee.


Edited by southnorwoodhill (11 Mar 2019 1.04pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 30 of 34 < 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Palace vs Brighton Match Thread