You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Pardew v Hodgson
June 19 2019 5.51pm

Pardew v Hodgson

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View KAOS's Profile KAOS Flag India 08 Apr 19 11.52am Send a Private Message to KAOS Add KAOS as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

This Murray thing has gone on for far too long. When we sold him the vast majority of Palace fans including those on these boards thought he was past his best and that the money we received was fantastic for an aging forward. You simply cannot run a football club on hindsight so whilst it has turned out that he has had a wonderful twilight to his career, you cannot say that another manager would have known this was going to happen.


Never sell a striker that scores goals consistently whatever his age. Just common sense ...

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View si_1967's Profile si_1967 Flag Surrey 08 Apr 19 12.07pm Send a Private Message to si_1967 Add si_1967 as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops


This Murray thing has gone on for far too long. When we sold him the vast majority of Palace fans including those on these boards thought he was past his best and that the money we received was fantastic for an aging forward. You simply cannot run a football club on hindsight so whilst it has turned out that he has had a wonderful twilight to his career, you cannot say that another manager would have known this was going to happen.

Most people on here thought it was ridiculous to get rid of Murray and that is why we can't forgive Pards.
He also treated Speroni abominambly whilst Wayne was going through his rough patch refusing to play him.
He also got rid of Jedinak and replaced him with Flamini.

Okay he got us some results to start with but ultimately his arrogance shone through and showed him up to be the complete tosser he really is.

 


If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck. The chances are ... it's a duck

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View RyWa's Profile RyWa Flag Beckenham 08 Apr 19 12.31pm Send a Private Message to RyWa Add RyWa as a friend

Originally posted by si_1967

Most people on here thought it was ridiculous to get rid of Murray and that is why we can't forgive Pards.
He also treated Speroni abominambly whilst Wayne was going through his rough patch refusing to play him.
He also got rid of Jedinak and replaced him with Flamini.

Okay he got us some results to start with but ultimately his arrogance shone through and showed him up to be the complete tosser he really is.

The Jedinak argument is nearly as bad as the Murray one. Jedinak was very poor his last season with us, he was too slow and too sloppy and the fans were getting frustrated. hes a club legend but Jedinak went at the right time, he simply wasn't good enough.

Murray has in-fact come good, I must admit I was gutted to see him leave but not many people were confident he'd start banging them in again (me included), just like the board didn't know Benteke would be a flop after the first season.. on paper Benteke for Murray was a huge upgrade and step in the right direction for Palace.
Everything is easier to judge in hindsight.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 08 Apr 19 12.53pm Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

This Murray thing has gone on for far too long. When we sold him the vast majority of Palace fans including those on these boards thought he was past his best and that the money we received was fantastic for an aging forward. You simply cannot run a football club on hindsight so whilst it has turned out that he has had a wonderful twilight to his career, you cannot say that another manager would have known this was going to happen.

Totally agree.

My understanding of the situation is that it wasn't Pardew's decision to sell. It was Steve Parish who had been advised that Murray was past his best and should be sold if the right offer came in. Whatever, it's done.

Be interesting to see how Brighton cope next year as I can't see Murray replicating this season's form...but then again !

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 08 Apr 19 1.04pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by KAOS


Never sell a striker that scores goals consistently whatever his age. Just common sense ...

Easy thing to say but Defoe had 8 different clubs, Kevin Phillips 9, Peter Crouch had 13! Were all those managers so wrong, because these guys have consistently put the ball away throughout their careers?

I think the issue is more that different managers have their favourites and sometimes they also think, rightly or wrongly, the grass is greener.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View VKR1888's Profile VKR1888 Flag London 08 Apr 19 1.26pm Send a Private Message to VKR1888 Add VKR1888 as a friend

I was always a Pardew fan. The cup run was amazing, as was some of the football.

I couldn't really argue when he was given the sack though, he was actually given more time than usual given what he had done before.

Roy is proving to be not the answer though, not if we want to push on. I would argue we are not getting the best out of the current squad.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jefroc's Profile Jefroc Flag Crete 08 Apr 19 2.30pm Send a Private Message to Jefroc Add Jefroc as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

Totally agree.

My understanding of the situation is that it wasn't Pardew's decision to sell. It was Steve Parish who had been advised that Murray was past his best and should be sold if the right offer came in. Whatever, it's done.

Be interesting to see how Brighton cope next year as I can't see Murray replicating this season's form...but then again !


And Parish says the worst decision he ever made was allowing Pardew to persuade him to sell Murray.

The best front three we have had since the Wright/Bright day’s was Zaha, Murray, Bolasie. They terrorized defenders because of talent and so importantly mutual understanding. Since that was broken up we largely have depended on the individual skills of Wilf and Andros. .

 


Always remembering walking from the Holmesdale to the Whitehorse end at half time!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View si_1967's Profile si_1967 Flag Surrey 08 Apr 19 2.40pm Send a Private Message to si_1967 Add si_1967 as a friend

Originally posted by RyWa

The Jedinak argument is nearly as bad as the Murray one. Jedinak was very poor his last season with us, he was too slow and too sloppy and the fans were getting frustrated. hes a club legend but Jedinak went at the right time, he simply wasn't good enough.

Murray has in-fact come good, I must admit I was gutted to see him leave but not many people were confident he'd start banging them in again (me included), just like the board didn't know Benteke would be a flop after the first season.. on paper Benteke for Murray was a huge upgrade and step in the right direction for Palace.
Everything is easier to judge in hindsight.


I think you miss the point on Jedinak though, he was a club legend and the time to move him on was probably right. BUT, Flamini!!!!
As for Murray He scored 7 goals in 17 games in that second half of the season before we moved him on.
So those saying the time to move on from the Glenn saga are right, but it is relevant still when discussing the pros and cons of Pardew. And I still stand by the point that Pards was an arrogant tosser and Hodgson would never treat star players so badly

 


If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck. The chances are ... it's a duck

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View si_1967's Profile si_1967 Flag Surrey 08 Apr 19 2.45pm Send a Private Message to si_1967 Add si_1967 as a friend

Also, we didn't get Benteke as a replacement it was Connor Wickham, very much as sideways move really!!

 


If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck. The chances are ... it's a duck

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View RyWa's Profile RyWa Flag Beckenham 08 Apr 19 3.08pm Send a Private Message to RyWa Add RyWa as a friend

We signed Benteke and Wickham within 10 months of Murray leaving, I accept Benteke being at the the latter end of that time period, but he certainly filled the void nonetheless which had only been done by Gayle to an extent since Murray's injury.

Flamini had some solid sub performances for us,though lets be honest, Flamini only started 3 games, simply because we had better players like Cabaye, Mcarthur and Ledley at the time.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 08 Apr 19 6.05pm Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by Jefroc


And Parish says the worst decision he ever made was allowing Pardew to persuade him to sell Murray.

The best front three we have had since the Wright/Bright day’s was Zaha, Murray, Bolasie. They terrorized defenders because of talent and so importantly mutual understanding. Since that was broken up we largely have depended on the individual skills of Wilf and Andros. .

Someone's telling porkys then !

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Loz83's Profile Loz83 Flag Crawley 09 Apr 19 10.21am Send a Private Message to Loz83 Add Loz83 as a friend

to be fair pardew had a poorer squad to choose from, having a players like sakho, luka for a start. the end of last season under hodgson was some of the best football ive ever seen us play!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Pardew v Hodgson