You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Under or over-performing?
April 20 2019 8.18pm

Under or over-performing?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 15 Apr 19 9.26am Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by chris123

Happy here, so long as we stay up.

We should all be very very happy.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CrazyBadger's Profile CrazyBadger Flag Ware 15 Apr 19 10.00am Send a Private Message to CrazyBadger Add CrazyBadger as a friend

Originally posted by Vaibow

Thing is, we chop and change, which is expensive.

We get in Holloway, we go up. He signs players, how he came about them is a whole different story.

Pulis comes in, does a remarkable job - he too signs players, Dann, Ledley and Henenrsey and the job is done we have a respectable finish.

He then wants to implement his team - Campbell, Kelly.

Then he's gone - Warnock comes in, very different manager. He brings in players like Zaha, Fryers and McArthur.

Then we get Pardew and a whole different breed of player comes in. The likes of Cabaye, Wickham, Mutch, Souare, McCarthy, followed by Tomkins, Townsend, Mandana, Remy.

Then Fat Sam - PVA, Luca, Sakho, Schlupp.

So already, it's a mix and match. How many of these players were veiwed as potential first teamers and paid so, but gone AWOL.

Suffice to say, this summer should be the result of a long hard scouting period where players are sold, moved on, replaced.
Roy stamps his mark on the squad and has 2 years to work on it.
changing a manager now is just going to add to that depressing list.

Very good post, however, That bit in bold...
As has been stated on here, It is thought that RH has only 1 or 2 seasons left in him. Going by your logic, should he be the one to stop this Mix and Match culture?

What this has done, and we can include RH's purchases in that(Meyer, Kouyate, Guaita) is mean that we have a lot of players, which have come in on higher wages.

I fear that this window we are going to be clearing of the deadwood with no dramatic Spending, save for some urgent replacements should we sell any 1st teamers. RH will be here next season as a steadying influence, and to give us the best chance at survival. We will then look to reinvest in the squad - potentially with a new longer term manager.

 


"I'm not black, like Barry White, I am white, like Frank Black is"

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CrazyBadger's Profile CrazyBadger Flag Ware 15 Apr 19 10.05am Send a Private Message to CrazyBadger Add CrazyBadger as a friend

Originally posted by ChrisGC

How does it show that coaches have done their job when numerous run of the mill chances are missed by premier League standard players?

It shows the exact opposite. Not enough work is being done on finishing.

Take penalties and corners for example. Luka is so good because he clearly practices a lot.
Corners we are absolutely s***e at because we obviously don't practice them much at all. Conversely, under Pulis and Fat Sam we were mustard. No surprise that those managers worked on them in training.

Corners are overrated. [Link]


 


"I'm not black, like Barry White, I am white, like Frank Black is"

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View chris123's Profile chris123 Flag hove actually 15 Apr 19 10.11am Send a Private Message to chris123 Add chris123 as a friend

Originally posted by CrazyBadger

Corners are overrated. [Link]


Why should a corner be any different from a free kick 25 yards out?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 15 Apr 19 10.26am Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by ChrisGC

How does it show that coaches have done their job when numerous run of the mill chances are missed by premier League standard players?

It shows the exact opposite. Not enough work is being done on finishing.

Take penalties and corners for example. Luka is so good because he clearly practices a lot.
Corners we are absolutely s***e at because we obviously don't practice them much at all
. Conversely, under Pulis and Fat Sam we were mustard. No surprise that those managers worked on them in training.

A little contradictory.

Allardyce ..Cabaye, Townsend, Puncheon, McArthur possibly a few.

Pulis ..Bolasie, Ward and Puncheon.

Cabaye and Puncheon were always good especially Puncheon with freekicks.
Players are either confident with set pieces or they are not, cannot practice pressure of games.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 15 Apr 19 10.29am Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by CrazyBadger

Corners are overrated. [Link]


Yes corners are overrated!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CrazyBadger's Profile CrazyBadger Flag Ware 15 Apr 19 10.30am Send a Private Message to CrazyBadger Add CrazyBadger as a friend

Originally posted by chris123

Why should a corner be any different from a free kick 25 yards out?

Statistically a lot more Free Kicks are converted into goals than corners.
[Link]

It's a lot easier to defend a Corner than a free kick, where the taker is just having a shot. Whereas with a corner he has to pick out a player. And if an attacker can get to it to shoot, so can a defender to clear.

 


"I'm not black, like Barry White, I am white, like Frank Black is"

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View DutchEagleJohan's Profile DutchEagleJohan Flag Vlissingen, Netherlands 15 Apr 19 10.30am Send a Private Message to DutchEagleJohan Add DutchEagleJohan as a friend

Most interesting stat there is that no less then 12 clubs of that table have been relegated in that relative short space of time. Several have ended up in League one. Take away the "top 6" and think about it when you talk ambition.

Just saying.....


Originally posted by chris123

Why should a corner be any different from a free kick 25 yards out?


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 15 Apr 19 10.36am Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by chris123

Why should a corner be any different from a free kick 25 yards out?

Beating defenders is always a bigger problem with corners compared to freekicks.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ARGILE OLD GEEZER's Profile ARGILE OLD GEEZER Flag PORTIMAO 15 Apr 19 10.43am Send a Private Message to ARGILE OLD GEEZER Add ARGILE OLD GEEZER as a friend

Originally posted by Vaibow

Thing is, we chop and change, which is expensive.

We get in Holloway, we go up. He signs players, how he came about them is a whole different story.

Pulis comes in, does a remarkable job - he too signs players, Dann, Ledley and Henenrsey and the job is done we have a respectable finish.

He then wants to implement his team - Campbell, Kelly.

Then he's gone - Warnock comes in, very different manager. He brings in players like Zaha, Fryers and McArthur.

Then we get Pardew and a whole different breed of player comes in. The likes of Cabaye, Wickham, Mutch, Souare, McCarthy, followed by Tomkins, Townsend, Mandana, Remy.

Then Fat Sam - PVA, Luca, Sakho, Schlupp.

So already, it's a mix and match. How many of these players were veiwed as potential first teamers and paid so, but gone AWOL.

Suffice to say, this summer should be the result of a long hard scouting period where players are sold, moved on, replaced.
Roy stamps his mark on the squad and has 2 years to work on it.
changing a manager now is just going to add to that depressing list.

What a good thread, i never thought about the Manager/players mix in this light before.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ARGILE OLD GEEZER's Profile ARGILE OLD GEEZER Flag PORTIMAO 15 Apr 19 10.47am Send a Private Message to ARGILE OLD GEEZER Add ARGILE OLD GEEZER as a friend

Originally posted by ChrisGC

How does it show that coaches have done their job when numerous run of the mill chances are missed by premier League standard players?

It shows the exact opposite. Not enough work is being done on finishing.

Take penalties and corners for example. Luka is so good because he clearly practices a lot.
Corners we are absolutely s***e at because we obviously don't practice them much at all. Conversely, under Pulis and Fat Sam we were mustard. No surprise that those managers worked on them in training.

Not only corners, throw ins are also, we always lose the ball after the first touch.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View chris123's Profile chris123 Flag hove actually 15 Apr 19 11.10am Send a Private Message to chris123 Add chris123 as a friend

Originally posted by Tickled pink

Beating defenders is always a bigger problem with corners compared to freekicks.

Well some keepers are not great at corners, I can think of one without trying, also you get the odd penalty for shirt tugging.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Under or over-performing?