You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Captain
October 19 2019 6.57am

Captain

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 3 ę First< 1 2 3

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag Chelsea 11 Oct 19 2.21pm Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Originally posted by Pete53

For me, at the moment, its not so much whether Luka should pass the captaincy to Cahill but whether he comes straight back into the side for the next match.

We saw against the Hammers that we can perform well without him. I think his performances of late have not been anything special and all too often his passing is poor. And sometime soon he is going to be sent off.

Having said that I suspect Roy will put him straight back into the team.

Well that will be a first cos Roy never normally changes a winning team.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 11 Oct 19 2.24pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by PatrickA

Luka missed the Leicester away game a couple of seasons ago and that coincided with one of our best performances of the season with Mcarthur and Cabaye dominating the midfield .
I also felt that on Saturday we looked far.more fluent in midfield with Mcarthur in the defensive midfield role and McCarthy coming into the team.
This season Iím not sure what Luka gives us.
Heís a Roy favourite and accomplished penalty taker...after that I struggle.
He is one paced, sloppy in possession and inclined to give away silly fouls on the edge of the area.
From what I have seen Cahill would make a more than adequate captain.
Iím not advocating that Luka is discarded.
Iíve seen him have excellent games for us but I think he should have to earn his place along with the rest of the players.
He has not done this so far this season and competition is healthy for the club.


Good post. If we are truly playing a squad system with our well stocked midfield then why not let those that have produced the goods have another go. Has to be healthy to know you need to earn your spot.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Ginger Pubic Wig's Profile Ginger Pubic Wig Flag Wickham de L'Ouest 11 Oct 19 2.45pm Send a Private Message to Ginger Pubic Wig Add Ginger Pubic Wig as a friend

If we played multiple games without him, we would be reminded why an experienced, positionally astute defensive midfielder is a good thing. Teams would find pockets of space in front of our defence and hurt us. Who remembers West Brom away soon after he joined and the hole he so obviously filled?


Plus his penalties.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ARGILE OLD GEEZER's Profile ARGILE OLD GEEZER Flag PORTIMAO 12 Oct 19 7.40am Send a Private Message to ARGILE OLD GEEZER Add ARGILE OLD GEEZER as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

The last time he was issued a Red was in Feb 2016 playing for Olympiakos away to AEK Athens in a local derby.

That's not really my point, after he has been booked with a yellow, he often keeps making heavy challenges, we have all seen it, its not a rare occasion, he has got away from getting a red on numerus times, I would add that many of those second challenges were unnecessary, and as captain he shouldn't be taking those risks.
I am not knocking him bye the way, I like him as much as everyone.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 12 Oct 19 9.21am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by ARGILE OLD GEEZER

That's not really my point, after he has been booked with a yellow, he often keeps making heavy challenges, we have all seen it, its not a rare occasion, he has got away from getting a red on numerus times, I would add that many of those second challenges were unnecessary, and as captain he shouldn't be taking those risks.
I am not knocking him bye the way, I like him as much as everyone.

I understand your argument.
No stranger to a yellow but only 1 red in over 3 years.In actual fact in 7 seasons he has picked up 63 yellows but only 2 reds.Perhaps he is astute enough to avoid that second yellow by making tackles which result in a foul,and helping his team,but of not sufficient severity or seriousness to warrant a card!

My post was in response to a question as to whether he had been sent off for us and I answered the question by pointing out that the last time he was sent off was playing for his former club.

Edited by Willo (12 Oct 2019 9.29am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View n wales eagles's Profile n wales eagles Flag llandudno 13 Oct 19 3.50am Send a Private Message to n wales eagles Add n wales eagles as a friend

Believe Benteke thinks he would make a great captain and after his yellow last game perhaps he feels he should be given a chance

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ARGILE OLD GEEZER's Profile ARGILE OLD GEEZER Flag PORTIMAO 13 Oct 19 7.37am Send a Private Message to ARGILE OLD GEEZER Add ARGILE OLD GEEZER as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

I understand your argument.
No stranger to a yellow but only 1 red in over 3 years.In actual fact in 7 seasons he has picked up 63 yellows but only 2 reds.Perhaps he is astute enough to avoid that second yellow by making tackles which result in a foul,and helping his team,but of not sufficient severity or seriousness to warrant a card!

My post was in response to a question as to whether he had been sent off for us and I answered the question by pointing out that the last time he was sent off was playing for his former club.

Edited by Willo (12 Oct 2019 9.29am)

You could be right, he must be very astute or very lucky to average 9 yellows a season without a red, its not like he controls or times his tackles after he has been yellow carded.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EddieMac's Profile EddieMac Flag 15 Oct 19 8.40am Send a Private Message to EddieMac Add EddieMac as a friend

Originally posted by ARGILE OLD GEEZER

You could be right, he must be very astute or very lucky to average 9 yellows a season without a red, its not like he controls or times his tackles after he has been yellow carded.

I have never even seen Luka make a heavy challenge, that is not his game. Nearly all his bookings are for cynical trips to break up play which is great because itís a big part of the modern game and every team is at it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ARGILE OLD GEEZER's Profile ARGILE OLD GEEZER Flag PORTIMAO 17 Oct 19 8.12am Send a Private Message to ARGILE OLD GEEZER Add ARGILE OLD GEEZER as a friend

Originally posted by EddieMac

I have never even seen Luka make a heavy challenge, that is not his game. Nearly all his bookings are for cynical trips to break up play which is great because itís a big part of the modern game and every team is at it.

So how does he average 9 yellows a season without making a foul tackle, and I repeat, I am not anti Luka as a player.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Pierre's Profile Pierre Flag Purley 17 Oct 19 11.55am Send a Private Message to Pierre Add Pierre as a friend

Luka does make a lot of tackles that break up play. Not all of them are cynical as some people are suggesting.
Even though he still collects a huge number of yellow cards he is in control of his actions.

I believe the fact that Luka now wears the armband gives him a little more leniency which is why he is able to make a few more challenges after receiving a card.
But he is experienced player and Luka often pushes it close to the edge but he is aware where the edge is!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 3 ę First< 1 2 3

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Captain