You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Post EU World
April 10 2021 7.39pm

Post EU World

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 4 of 49 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

 

View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 11 Jan 21 4.49pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays


Have you answered my haircut question yet?

Iíll answer for him, he may be embarrassed

B1BDB349-6DAF-4C60-A4F3-FF9BFF6D100C.jpeg Attachment: B1BDB349-6DAF-4C60-A4F3-FF9BFF6D100C.jpeg (57.32Kb)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View davenotamonkey's Profile davenotamonkey Flag 11 Jan 21 5.37pm Send a Private Message to davenotamonkey Add davenotamonkey as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

That is interesting

In that case maybe my original premise is incorrect, I am obliged for the correction. It was the coincidence of timing apparently.

I still maintain that we now have the chance to look at other ways to manage agriculture. This seems a retrograde step to me.

Yes, indeed we do, specifically ways that suit the biodiversity of our Isles, rather than a one-size-fits-all centralised body spanning their entire empire. Shall we move on to Xylella fastidiosa and Ceratocystis platani?

Xylella fastidiosa: a bacterial disease with many sub species and strains not known to occur in the UK. It is considered to be one of the most dangerous pathogens for plants anywhere in the world. It affects cherry, almond and plum trees as well as olives.

Ceratocystis platani: is a fungus not yet present in UK that attacks and kills plane trees. This pathogen poses a significant risk to plane trees in the UK because plane is widely used as an urban amenity species in parks and public gardens, and alongside streets and roads.

We were found in breach of EU rules for placing stricter controls on imports for plants carrying these pests (neither of which are endemic to the UK).

Should we lower our standards to those of the EU, or is it better that we took unilateral action (despite being in breach of the wonderful lower EU standards)? Should we now lower our standards to ensure a "level playing field" with the EU?

Do you think they were complaining mainly because it meant continental exports to the UK would be subject to higher standards, and that would disadvantage them? Or do they genuinely think that lower standards are better, as long as they are EU standards?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 11 Jan 21 5.42pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by davenotamonkey

Yes, indeed we do, specifically ways that suit the biodiversity of our Isles, rather than a one-size-fits-all centralised body spanning their entire empire. Shall we move on to Xylella fastidiosa and Ceratocystis platani?

Xylella fastidiosa: a bacterial disease with many sub species and strains not known to occur in the UK. It is considered to be one of the most dangerous pathogens for plants anywhere in the world. It affects cherry, almond and plum trees as well as olives.

Ceratocystis platani: is a fungus not yet present in UK that attacks and kills plane trees. This pathogen poses a significant risk to plane trees in the UK because plane is widely used as an urban amenity species in parks and public gardens, and alongside streets and roads.

We were found in breach of EU rules for placing stricter controls on imports for plants carrying these pests (neither of which are endemic to the UK).

Should we lower our standards to those of the EU, or is it better that we took unilateral action (despite being in breach of the wonderful lower EU standards)? Should we now lower our standards to ensure a "level playing field" with the EU?

Do you think they were complaining mainly because it meant continental exports to the UK would be subject to higher standards, and that would disadvantage them? Or do they genuinely think that lower standards are better, as long as they are EU standards?

Informative post, thank you.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 11 Jan 21 10.22pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by davenotamonkey

Let's be absolutely crystal clear here. This is not the UK going it alone as some rogue state. The following EU countries have requested emergency use:

Austria
Belgium
Croatia
Denmark
Spain
Finland
Lithuania
Poland
Romania
Slovakia

France, in an act of typical EU solidarity has (much like the Germans proclaiming EU unity in joint vaccine procurement whilst ordering a stash just for themselves) decided to approve use anyway:

[Link]

...and when even Jolyon-Moron tells us that it is incorrect to link neonicotinoid to Brexit, you might want to re-adjust your anti-Brexit blinkers.

Thank you for this link Dave. It provided very interesting reading. Itís a bit of a microcosm of many bigger debates raging along the lines of we donít have to be great, just better than the others. Tom Clarke is asking for time to find non-chemical solutions. What frustrates is that we could have done that long ago but it would need political will as there is no money in it for the pharma companies. The world is so behind in addressing such a crucial problem of the gradual destruction of our food sources.

Beet isnít great for soil degradation by the way.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 11 Jan 21 10.26pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Stirlingsays


Have you answered my haircut question yet?

Eh? Whereís that? Of course I do largely ignore your posts ...

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Cucking Funt's Profile Cucking Funt Flag Inside IR35 12 Jan 21 2.19pm Send a Private Message to Cucking Funt Add Cucking Funt as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

That is interesting

In that case maybe my original premise is incorrect, I am obliged for the correction. It was the coincidence of timing apparently.

I still maintain that we now have the chance to look at other ways to manage agriculture. This seems a retrograde step to me.

Glad that's all cleared up.

Now, any pics of your daughter?

 


Wife beating may be socially acceptable in Sheffield, but it is a different matter in Cheltenham

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 12 Jan 21 2.58pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Cucking Funt

Glad that's all cleared up.

Now, any pics of your daughter?

I am still awaiting her viewpoint on this.

Not convinced we should accept neonics though, even short term.

Edited by Mapletree (12 Jan 2021 3.02pm)

Daughter.jpg Attachment: Daughter.jpg (26.50Kb)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 12 Jan 21 3.28pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

I am still awaiting her viewpoint on this.

Not convinced we should accept neonics though, even short term.

Edited by Mapletree (12 Jan 2021 3.02pm)

Takes after her dad then
Tom-the-Eagle would

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Cucking Funt's Profile Cucking Funt Flag Inside IR35 12 Jan 21 4.16pm Send a Private Message to Cucking Funt Add Cucking Funt as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

Takes after her dad then
Tom-the-Eagle would

I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised.

 


Wife beating may be socially acceptable in Sheffield, but it is a different matter in Cheltenham

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace_in_frogland's Profile palace_in_frogland Flag In a broken dream 12 Jan 21 5.43pm Send a Private Message to palace_in_frogland Add palace_in_frogland as a friend

Gender fluidity, made flesh.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 12 Jan 21 6.41pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

I am still awaiting her viewpoint on this.

Not convinced we should accept neonics though, even short term.

Edited by Mapletree (12 Jan 2021 3.02pm)

You must call her my precious.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 12 Jan 21 9.38pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

You must call her my precious.

I can at least call her quietly. With those ears I never have to raise my voice.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 4 of 49 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Post EU World