September 9 2002
Crystal Palace have played at four grounds in their history. Here's all you need to know about the first at the Crystal Palace right up to Selhurst Park today...
The Crystal Palace (1905-1915)
From 1895 to 1914, all the FA Cup finals were held at the Crystal Palace, along with many international matches.
In 1904, workers of the glass building and cup final venue decided to form their own team. But the league objected as it did not want the owners of the cup final venue having their own side.
So in 1905, a new company was formed by the general manager of the Crystal Palace - where the present day Crystal Palace FC started - and hired the Crystal Palace ground for its games.
The new Crystal Palace's first league match at the ground was a 4-3 defeat by Southampton reserves on September 2, 1905, in the United Counties League. This league supplemented the Second Division of the Southern League, where their main priorities were.
The club raised funds by organising two smoking concerts using the Crystal Palace facilities in 1906, which were a great success. The club won the Second Division of the Southern League in its first season.
The following season, the promoted Glaziers announced ticket prices would remain unchanged and include admission to the Palace for two hours before the game.
Palace remained at the ground until February 1915, when it was taken over by the Admiralty due to the war. A year before, the FA Cup finals were switched to a new venue.
Corinthians also played at the Palace from 1897 to 1905 and 1922 to 1937 and the Casuals from 1922 to 1925. Now known as Corinthian-Casuals, they are one of the oldest clubs in the world and play in Ryman Division One.
Today, the ground is an athletics stadium which was built in the 1960s after years of remaining largely unused.
In 1999/00, Palace reserves played at the Crystal Palace Stadium.
Herne Hill (1915-1918)
Not knowing they would never return to their original home, Crystal Palace moved down the round to Herne Hill to the ground used by amateur club West Norwood. Southampton were again the first opposition, this time the first team on March 3, 1915, and they won 2-0.
The exact site is the Herne Hill Velodrome on Burbage Road. It is still there today as it was long before CPFC played there. It is also the last remaining Velodrome in London. At present it is undergoing a welcome renovation and still hosts football matches on the exact ground Palace played on 86 and more years ago.
Thanks to Dan Maurer for additional info
The Nest (1918-1924)
After just three years at Herne Hill, Palace were on the move again. This time to a ground previously used by Croydon Common FC opposite Selhurst train station and were tenants of the Brighton Railway Company.
September 14, 1918 was the date of the first match played by Palace here and the visitors QPR went home defeated 4-2.
The directors wanted Palace to own their own ground as it was about to have railway development. In 1922, they opened discussions with Brighton Railway Company for the current Selhurst Park site which they moved to in 1924.
Post this story to:
Leaflet handed out at the turnstiles at 11.10pm by rednblue4eva
Leaflet handed out at the turnstiles at 11.10pm by Eagles-Mad
Counter-attack strategy at 11.05pm by Ljb
Counter-attack strategy at 10.59pm by Petereagle
Leaflet handed out at the turnstiles at 10.54pm by Old Chap
All images and text on this site are copyright © 1999-2013 The Holmesdale Online, unless otherwise stated.
Web Design by Guntrisoft Ltd.