You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > What style do we really want?
July 21 2024 12.01pm

What style do we really want?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


 

View eagleide's Profile eagleide Flag London 27 Aug 17 9.14pm Send a Private Message to eagleide Add eagleide as a friend

I was there on Saturday, agree with a lot of what I've read here.
Today I went to the Spurs game (other half being Spurs) and I thought Burnleys tactics were exactly what we should be- hard to beat, organised, disciplined, quick on the counter. Whilst they did get a bit lucky today, their performance and effort merited it. Not a lot of skill on show it should be said, but then a reality check of the level of players a club has in my view is important. Reminded me of the Pulis/Allardyce days- were they so bad we all disliked the style of play we were watching?
Thoughts please!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View bristolgriff's Profile bristolgriff Flag Bristol 27 Aug 17 9.41pm Send a Private Message to bristolgriff Add bristolgriff as a friend

The pulis/allardyce were the best days. I like defensive teams that frustrate and can hit quickly on the break.
Haven't given up on fdb yet but if there's no sig improvement by end of Sep I hope we get back to that style. I expect this has been voiced on the hol already but I wish we'd have gone for dyche when we had the chance, he was my preferred choice. If we go down let's just hope Burnley do too and we might be able to poach him.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheArmaniCode's Profile TheArmaniCode Flag 27 Aug 17 9.47pm Send a Private Message to TheArmaniCode Add TheArmaniCode as a friend

Play whatever gets results

Edited by TheArmaniCode (27 Aug 2017 9.47pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 27 Aug 17 9.48pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

'Results over style' is another Frank quote on the grass at Beckenham. Let's hope it's not more BS or he had been on the grass.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cpj's Profile cpj Flag Kent 27 Aug 17 10.59pm Send a Private Message to cpj Add cpj as a friend

Originally posted by TheArmaniCode

Play whatever gets results

Edited by TheArmaniCode (27 Aug 2017 9.47pm)

This. Coppell era wasn't pretty but we won plenty.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View majorkaios's Profile majorkaios Flag Trowbridge, Wilts 28 Aug 17 6.06am Send a Private Message to majorkaios Add majorkaios as a friend

Originally posted by eagleide

I was there on Saturday, agree with a lot of what I've read here.
Today I went to the Spurs game (other half being Spurs) and I thought Burnleys tactics were exactly what we should be- hard to beat, organised, disciplined, quick on the counter. Whilst they did get a bit lucky today, their performance and effort merited it. Not a lot of skill on show it should be said, but then a reality check of the level of players a club has in my view is important. Reminded me of the Pulis/Allardyce days- were they so bad we all disliked the style of play we were watching?
Thoughts please!

nice post, thanks

Over the years I have loved the players we have brought on that have shown more grit to pull us through tough games. I've supported Palace From Alison and with 'Sir Steve' most passionate through till now. Maybe some could say I must be mad with Chairmans like Noades. However it's been my local team since I was 12, I am happy to say.

I, like all fans, was seriously worried when administration loomed. I don't mind trying another tack as IMHO we will not sustain ourselves for long. We will continue to have to sell our best players, with not enough cash to buy similar quality again.

There is another model, it takes more time, if we don't have all the team working to help each other, then is actually more tiring. But it's a learning curve for the players more than the manager. I believe until the window Frank has been experimenting players and training the new style of play and sadly it didn't work. But both goals were errors by players, not formation. So until he has a 25 man squad that is final after the window closes I hope the curve is less steep for the squad and we bear fruit sooner than later.

I do remember Sir Steve Coppel played for England look how many International players come from that era who were also Palace players. So I hope FDB can be allowed to place his own style and be given the time to do so.

This model relies on a strong Academy FOREMOST. It is a long haul, and FDB has a proven track record in running such a facility when we finally build it.

I don't know if all the fans now will all be here when it is finally built, I've been waiting over 35 years for a world class academy at Palace but if alive will still be a PALACE fan and as always happy to welcome old Palace faces. So when it is built and running it will show future investors (small and large) an indication of intent to progress to a model that may provide steady growth.

I do believe Frank thinks with our current squads he will try to teach 3-4-3, 4-3-3, and I think he may use 3-5-2.

Still whatever he decides I am happy to get behind the players to shout out proud and encourage them to play at their best.

COYP

 


School, SN.Juniors, SN High, Selhurst. 1st match 1972 CP 2 N. Utd 1. Thank you, John Jackson and Vince Hilair for brightening our darkest days. I moved to the west country in 1983. Always Proud and 'Glad All Over' to be a Palace Fan. ))

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Xchurch Eagle's Profile Xchurch Eagle Flag Christchurch 28 Aug 17 8.05am Send a Private Message to Xchurch Eagle Add Xchurch Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by majorkaios

nice post, thanks

Over the years I have loved the players we have brought on that have shown more grit to pull us through tough games. I've supported Palace From Alison and with 'Sir Steve' most passionate through till now. Maybe some could say I must be mad with Chairmans like Noades. However it's been my local team since I was 12, I am happy to say.

I, like all fans, was seriously worried when administration loomed. I don't mind trying another tack as IMHO we will not sustain ourselves for long. We will continue to have to sell our best players, with not enough cash to buy similar quality again.

There is another model, it takes more time, if we don't have all the team working to help each other, then is actually more tiring. But it's a learning curve for the players more than the manager. I believe until the window Frank has been experimenting players and training the new style of play and sadly it didn't work. But both goals were errors by players, not formation. So until he has a 25 man squad that is final after the window closes I hope the curve is less steep for the squad and we bear fruit sooner than later.

I do remember Sir Steve Coppel played for England look how many International players come from that era who were also Palace players. So I hope FDB can be allowed to place his own style and be given the time to do so.

This model relies on a strong Academy FOREMOST. It is a long haul, and FDB has a proven track record in running such a facility when we finally build it.

I don't know if all the fans now will all be here when it is finally built, I've been waiting over 35 years for a world class academy at Palace but if alive will still be a PALACE fan and as always happy to welcome old Palace faces. So when it is built and running it will show future investors (small and large) an indication of intent to progress to a model that may provide steady growth.

I do believe Frank thinks with our current squads he will try to teach 3-4-3, 4-3-3, and I think he may use 3-5-2.

Still whatever he decides I am happy to get behind the players to shout out proud and encourage them to play at their best.

COYP

Best football we've played has been with a 4-2-3-1 formation... Now we've got a team of players not playing to their strengths...

I'd go with

GK Speroni
LB PVA / Soare
CB Dann
CB Tompkins / Riedewald
RB Fosu-mensa / Joel Ward
CM Cabaye
CM Mili
LW Townsend
AMC Puncheon / Loftus Cheek
RW Wilf
CF Benteke

 


Hopkin looks to curl one!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View iheartcpfc's Profile iheartcpfc Flag SE25 28 Aug 17 8.22am Send a Private Message to iheartcpfc Add iheartcpfc as a friend

exciting counter attacking football making use of our talented wingers and excellent header of the ball with our striker backed by an organised defensive unit that all know their roles. Fine with building from the back as long as there is a purpose to it and isn't turgid slow drivel. This is the age of vertical passing and high pressing with engines in midfield, we can have some of that.

something like Sam's team when he got us going

Edited by iheartcpfc (28 Aug 2017 8.23am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dangermouse's Profile Dangermouse Flag Hastings 28 Aug 17 9.19am Send a Private Message to Dangermouse Add Dangermouse as a friend

We've been kick and Cavalry charge for decades and Palace fans are happy with that. So why change?
Someone mentioned how Burnley played at Spurs, sounds very similar to how we played at Anfield. Shame yet another Luka error undid all our good work that day. Take out him and Kelly f***ing up and we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

 


That's Life
And as funny as it may seem
Some people get their kicks stompin' on a Dream.
KEEP THE FAITH!!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 


Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > What style do we really want?