You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > The Benteke thread
August 9 2020 4.05pm

The Benteke thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 250 of 257 < 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Ghostship's Profile Ghostship Flag Norfolk 24 Feb 20 1.07pm Send a Private Message to Ghostship Add Ghostship as a friend

I was hoping his lucky goal against Everton might give him a bit of confidence but sadly this appears not to be the case. That header from the free kick was just shocking it seemed like he was actually scared to go and head the ball and just let it hit him. Tosun has to start instead of him at Brighton.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 24 Feb 20 1.17pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Ghostship

I was hoping his lucky goal against Everton might give him a bit of confidence but sadly this appears not to be the case. That header from the free kick was just shocking it seemed like he was actually scared to go and head the ball and just let it hit him. Tosun has to start instead of him at Brighton.

Itís an interesting point - can footballers suffer from some form of the yips? It happens in darts and cricket as well as golf so why not football?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Sutton Coldfield 24 Feb 20 1.36pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

Itís an interesting point - can footballers suffer from some form of the yips? It happens in darts and cricket as well as golf so why not football?

I don't see why not. IMO, the confident striker will be relaxed as he seeks to take his chances. He's there in the mix wanting the ball to come to him (think of Aubameyang against Everton yesterday - he nonchantly guided the ball into the corner - he was confident that he was going to score. On Saturday, Tosun rushed for the 6 yard box in the hope of an early cross, which sadly didn't come. It showed me at least that he wanted to be in the best place to put the ball in the net.

Likewise, IMO, the striker whose confidence is shot-to-pieces tends to tense up, snatch at/rush his chance; he'd rather not be in the thick of things so will arrive late on the scene or leave it to someone he thinks is better placed (even if it's a player who's more likely to clear the bar/ground). Often the tenseness of his body can result in a weak or mis*** shot.

No medical or psychological evidence for this assessment but that's how I see it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Sutton Coldfield 24 Feb 20 1.37pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by doombear

I don't see why not. IMO, the confident striker will be relaxed as he seeks to take his chances. He's there in the mix wanting the ball to come to him (think of Aubameyang against Everton yesterday - he nonchantly guided the ball into the corner - he was confident that he was going to score. On Saturday, Tosun rushed for the 6 yard box in the hope of an early cross, which sadly didn't come. It showed me at least that he wanted to be in the best place to put the ball in the net.

Likewise, IMO, the striker whose confidence is shot-to-pieces tends to tense up, snatch at/rush his chance; he'd rather not be in the thick of things so will arrive late on the scene or leave it to someone he thinks is better placed (even if it's a player who's more likely to clear the bar/ground). Often the tenseness of his body can result in a weak or mis*** shot.

No medical or psychological evidence for this assessment but that's how I see it.

Make that miss-hit

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 24 Feb 20 1.40pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Still crap.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 24 Feb 20 2.26pm Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

The miss on Saturday was comical, it was if someone had kicked the ball in his direction while he wasn't watching, and just struck him on the head. The idea of helping the ball on it's way to the net was clearly too challenging for him. Useless.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 24 Feb 20 2.40pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by southnorwoodhill

The miss on Saturday was comical, it was if someone had kicked the ball in his direction while he wasn't watching, and just struck him on the head. The idea of helping the ball on it's way to the net was clearly too challenging for him. Useless.

Perhaps Benteke thought that the goalkeeper was going to come off his line to challenge for the ball and took his eye off the ball for a split-second at a vital moment.
It really was an awful miss and very embarrassing for Benteke.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View KAOS's Profile KAOS Flag In a tree 24 Feb 20 4.47pm Send a Private Message to KAOS Add KAOS as a friend

A modern / more expensive version of Akinibiyi ...

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jamesey's Profile Jamesey Online Flag Wandsworth 24 Feb 20 5.51pm Send a Private Message to Jamesey Add Jamesey as a friend

Originally posted by KAOS

A modern / more expensive version of Akinibiyi ...

So true.

Edited by Jamesey (24 Feb 2020 5.53pm)

 


Nothing is fool-proof - fools are too ingenious

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 24 Feb 20 5.55pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by doombear

Make that miss-hit

Mr s*** will suffice.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag Chelsea 24 Feb 20 6.17pm Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

If Im not mistaken, the picture above on the website is of Benteke's glaring miss when the ball hit his head. Almost feel sorry for him. It was a windy day and maybe the ball swirled. Nevertheless he did at least play better than normal. He just cant score. Lets be honest, even his goal at Everton was a fluke. In fact through his career even at Villa he has scored so many less then perfect contact goals.
Seems like a nice guy and probably quite timid. Just hope he finds some more luck moving forward. His last few attempts for us Lady luck has been absent.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Elpis's Profile Elpis Flag In a pub 24 Feb 20 6.51pm Send a Private Message to Elpis Add Elpis as a friend

Originally posted by VinceHilaire

Would it be completely unreasonable to play Tosun and Benteke together as a front 2? Would they compliment each other? With Zaha and Ayew on the wings?? Just a thought..

My God man , one of them on the pitch at a time is bad enough .

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 250 of 257 < 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > The Benteke thread