You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Another typical Palace PL campaign
July 12 2020 1.03am

Another typical Palace PL campaign

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 11 Nov 18 3.07am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

Absolutely typical Palace premier league season.

"Our manager has gone from saviour to useless in less than a year." { I don't agree with this but is becoming more widespread on forums )

We don't have fit specialist goal scorer

Hoped that we finally won't be in relegation dog fight again dashed before Christmas

That's pretty much the three basic components of a Palace PL season ( one season under Pardew we had a good first half then s*** second half of the season

Last time I remember us having an effective , fit scorer was Murray when we were in Championship.
2017/18 Luka Milivojevic Total 10 (League 10, Cup 0)

2016/17 Christian Benteke 17 (15, 2)

2015/16 Dwight Gayle 7 (3, 4)

2014/15 Dwight Gayle 10 (5, 5)

2013/14 Dwight Gayle 8 (7, 1)

2012/13 Glenn Murray 31 (30, 1)

2011/12 Darren Ambrose 10 (7, 3)

We have not consistently had a striker who gets 10+ a season in PL games, only Benteke outlier season in 2016/17
__________________

 


Let's see SP and the board trying to line up for a piss in the AW toilets at half time before peddling the new stand. We're the Arthur over here and the facilities are a disgrace

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Vaibow's Profile Vaibow Flag vancouver/croydon 11 Nov 18 5.43am Send a Private Message to Vaibow Add Vaibow as a friend

It boils down to Parish not learning from mistakes. It also doesn't help fans defending him, saying this is the best spell, blah blah.

We are surviving by luck and back tracking, coughing up on plan b or plan a's we didn't want to push the boat out on.

The cash should have been spent in january, a bit more than what we originally did in the summer and then pushed on with that - the fine for breaching ffp if we did, deal with it next year, just as bournemouth and other clubs had too - but guess what, the foundation of a solid team is there and therefor big spending wouldn't be necessary for a while.

Watch us blow a load in jan - where was that money in the summer?

 


This was once a quality forum....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mr Palaceman's Profile Mr Palaceman Flag 11 Nov 18 7.34am Send a Private Message to Mr Palaceman Add Mr Palaceman as a friend


It has nothing to do with bringing in new players. We have been spending over the last couple of seasons with the best of them but that is not sustainable. We can't keep spending 20-30 million every transfer window. We have a good team. On paper...

I'm sorry to say this but we have a manager that after a full season in charge, doesn't know his best 11.

Players that we have brought in to supposedly improve the team, can't get a game and other players are played out of position. McArthur on the wing, while you have Townsend on the pitch !!! And yet Sorloth, who's probably not good enough anyway can't get a full game to show us what he's about.

AWB was an accident. If it was a case of, Roy saying, 'I like the look of him, we'll give him a chance soon' then fair enough but no, we would not know anything about him if Ward wasn't injured, he would not have had a sniff and would probably be on loan at Brentford by now.

We have a world cup winner in our academy but you just know he will never get a real chance unless half the team get injured and the groundsman forgets his kit.

Also why did we buy a top European goalkeeper to replace an average goalie only to keep him on the bench, oh hang on, we've done that before. I know Hennessy has improved but if he's our top goalie, why pay out wages for anything other than a bright young prospect to back him up. Guiata must be so pi55ed off that he came here. We don't see him being interviewed on Palace TV.

We buy a top European prospect in Jairo (potentially the one good thing FDB was responsible for) only to try and palm him off to Swansea for a player that can't score and will go AWOL the minute things don't go his way. Riedewald must also be so pi55ed off that he chose to come here, it's embarrassing.

I didn't expect us to beat Tottenham, or Chelski, or Arsenal. Wolves, yes, Southampton, yes, Huddersfield, most definitely. The reason for my rant is that this season feels like a waste to me. It's not the points or position in the league, we've played some really good teams so far, it's the waste of a potentially very good team and now the rot is setting in again.

I don't think we'll go down, 12th or 13th maybe but it's shaping up to be a long and ugly season, which, after last season, we really don't need.

Rant over.

 


"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"

Stan Laurel

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Sayer's Profile Sayer Flag East Sussex 11 Nov 18 7.35am Send a Private Message to Sayer Add Sayer as a friend

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Same but different ' by Midlands Eagle

After 12 games last season we we’re bottom with 5pts , and Brighton 9th on 16pts . Stoke we’re the highest of the relegated teams 12th on 13pts, so yes it does feel a little grim at the moment but the next 4/5 games will tell us if we should be worried , but I do believe we look a much better team than last season, we are probably atbout 80% the team we can be.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 11 Nov 18 7.51am Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

Nice post Mr Palaceman!!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PatrickA's Profile PatrickA Flag London 11 Nov 18 8.46am Send a Private Message to PatrickA Add PatrickA as a friend

My main concern at the moment is that Roy seems to have us competitive every game and always in with a shout, but ultimately we fall short and end up with no points.
There’s a difference to being a competitive team and a results team and we fall into the former category.
There’s a comfort in competing well but we will not have scored a single goal in open play at home until at least December.
We will not have had a home win until at least December.
We cannot keep a clean sheet and find it difficult to score.
At the moment I cannot see a catalyst to change this pattern.
The players are playing with effort and commitment but there is little attacking threat and in reality we are quite easy to defend against.
For these reasons I am not confident about the December fixtures and see a few draws on the horizon when wins are essential.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mr Palaceman's Profile Mr Palaceman Flag 11 Nov 18 8.56am Send a Private Message to Mr Palaceman Add Mr Palaceman as a friend

Originally posted by The Dolphin

Nice post Mr Palaceman!!

Tanx

 


"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"

Stan Laurel

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Booted Eagle's Profile Booted Eagle Flag Bristol 11 Nov 18 9.07am Send a Private Message to Booted Eagle Add Booted Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Sayer

This post has been merged from a topic called 'Same but different ' by Midlands Eagle

After 12 games last season we we’re bottom with 5pts , and Brighton 9th on 16pts . Stoke we’re the highest of the relegated teams 12th on 13pts, so yes it does feel a little grim at the moment but the next 4/5 games will tell us if we should be worried , but I do believe we look a much better team than last season, we are probably atbout 80% the team we can be.

You are right to look after the next 5 games but I wouldn't compare us to last season as we had changed managers. Warnock had about 15 points I seem to remember on Boxing Day and got the boot and he was surely in a harder position than Roy is now after taking over from Pulis ? Also not sure I agree that we are a better team than last season under Roy. Roy may only keep the reigns due to a lack of potential fire fighters around for us if we are no better than present.

Edited by Booted Eagle (11 Nov 2018 9.09am)

 


“ [T]here are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.There are known unknowns; that is to say there are things that, we now know we don't know.But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know. ”
—United States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ARGILE OLD GEEZER's Profile ARGILE OLD GEEZER Flag PORTIMAO 11 Nov 18 9.13am Send a Private Message to ARGILE OLD GEEZER Add ARGILE OLD GEEZER as a friend

Originally posted by Mr Palaceman


It has nothing to do with bringing in new players. We have been spending over the last couple of seasons with the best of them but that is not sustainable. We can't keep spending 20-30 million every transfer window. We have a good team. On paper...

I'm sorry to say this but we have a manager that after a full season in charge, doesn't know his best 11.

Players that we have brought in to supposedly improve the team, can't get a game and other players are played out of position. McArthur on the wing, while you have Townsend on the pitch !!! And yet Sorloth, who's probably not good enough anyway can't get a full game to show us what he's about.

AWB was an accident. If it was a case of, Roy saying, 'I like the look of him, we'll give him a chance soon' then fair enough but no, we would not know anything about him if Ward wasn't injured, he would not have had a sniff and would probably be on loan at Brentford by now.

We have a world cup winner in our academy but you just know he will never get a real chance unless half the team get injured and the groundsman forgets his kit.

Also why did we buy a top European goalkeeper to replace an average goalie only to keep him on the bench, oh hang on, we've done that before. I know Hennessy has improved but if he's our top goalie, why pay out wages for anything other than a bright young prospect to back him up. Guiata must be so pi55ed off that he came here. We don't see him being interviewed on Palace TV.

We buy a top European prospect in Jairo (potentially the one good thing FDB was responsible for) only to try and palm him off to Swansea for a player that can't score and will go AWOL the minute things don't go his way. Riedewald must also be so pi55ed off that he chose to come here, it's embarrassing.

I didn't expect us to beat Tottenham, or Chelski, or Arsenal. Wolves, yes, Southampton, yes, Huddersfield, most definitely. The reason for my rant is that this season feels like a waste to me. It's not the points or position in the league, we've played some really good teams so far, it's the waste of a potentially very good team and now the rot is setting in again.

I don't think we'll go down, 12th or 13th maybe but it's shaping up to be a long and ugly season, which, after last season, we really don't need.

Rant over.

Who is the world cup winner in our academy?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 11 Nov 18 9.19am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by PatrickA

My main concern at the moment is that Roy seems to have us competitive every game and always in with a shout, but ultimately we fall short and end up with no points.
There’s a difference to being a competitive team and a results team and we fall into the former category.
There’s a comfort in competing well but we will not have scored a single goal in open play at home until at least December.
We will not have had a home win until at least December.
We cannot keep a clean sheet and find it difficult to score.
At the moment I cannot see a catalyst to change this pattern.
The players are playing with effort and commitment but there is little attacking threat and in reality we are quite easy to defend against.
For these reasons I am not confident about the December fixtures and see a few draws on the horizon when wins are essential.

This very much reflects my viewpoint as well.

In terms of our attacking threat we have only scored 1 goal from open-play in the last 5 games.A team can be organised and committed but if it finds it difficult to score goals it will always be scrapping for survival.

Finally I have disagree with the comment that we have a better team than last season.The next 'Transfer window' is very important for us.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nobbybm's Profile Nobbybm Flag Dartford 11 Nov 18 9.22am Send a Private Message to Nobbybm Add Nobbybm as a friend

Originally posted by ARGILE OLD GEEZER

Who is the world cup winner in our academy?

Nya Kirby

 


Will this be five? It's gonna be five! It IS five!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View orpingtoneagle's Profile orpingtoneagle Flag Orpington 11 Nov 18 9.47am Send a Private Message to orpingtoneagle Add orpingtoneagle as a friend

I think Roy sets up up well but we lack a cutting edge. I think we need a striking coach as we need something/someone to instill a bit of guile and confidence into our forwards.

I thought Sorloth played better yesterday but again seemed to bottle it in the final phase of play. We need someone who can bring the best out of what we have and advise to bring in a goalscorer in January.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Another typical Palace PL campaign