You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Your top 5 & bottom 5 lagers & beers
November 15 2019 4.28pm

Your top 5 & bottom 5 lagers & beers

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

 

View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 14 Feb 19 9.56am Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by chris123

And not anything brewed under license.

Kingfisher was good when it was Sheppard and Neame. Moved on to the cheapest bidder I understand and now rubbish. It's all in the water innit. That's why Mortlake Budweiser is quite acceptable but US Budweiser (sold here in large tin bottles) is awful.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View chris123's Profile chris123 Online Flag hove actually 14 Feb 19 10.03am Send a Private Message to chris123 Add chris123 as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Kingfisher was good when it was Sheppard and Neame. Moved on to the cheapest bidder I understand and now rubbish. It's all in the water innit. That's why Mortlake Budweiser is quite acceptable but US Budweiser (sold here in large tin bottles) is awful.

But that's a copy isn't it?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View topcat's Profile topcat Flag Holmesdale / Surbiton 14 Feb 19 10.09am Send a Private Message to topcat Add topcat as a friend

Best popular beers*;
Fullers London Pride
Doom Bar
Young's Ordinary
Marston Pedigree
Palace Ale!

Worst
John Smiths / John Smiths smooth
Any larger in a plastic bottle
Guinness
I don't tend to drink beers that I don't like so I'm sure that there are others.

 


It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 14 Feb 19 10.44am Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by chris123

But that's a copy isn't it?

Not sure I get your point

Budweiser was a copy of Budweiser from Ceske Budejovice. The Americans having bought the name and recipe, the Czechs had to rebrand to Budvar but as I recall in the Czech Republic it's still called Budweiser. It's great on draught but less good in bottles.

UK Budweiser is US Budweiser brewed locally. Over here it's perfectly acceptable and if I drink lager one of my preferred brews, along with Estrella and Tsing Tao and the best, Kosel.

Kingfisher has always been outsourced to existing breweries.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View chris123's Profile chris123 Online Flag hove actually 14 Feb 19 10.57am Send a Private Message to chris123 Add chris123 as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Not sure I get your point

Budweiser was a copy of Budweiser from Ceske Budejovice. The Americans having bought the name and recipe, the Czechs had to rebrand to Budvar but as I recall in the Czech Republic it's still called Budweiser. It's great on draught but less good in bottles.

UK Budweiser is US Budweiser brewed locally. Over here it's perfectly acceptable and if I drink lager one of my preferred brews, along with Estrella and Tsing Tao and the best, Kosel.

Kingfisher has always been outsourced to existing breweries.

It was the Czech one I was thinking of - when I worked in Vienna, colleagues would often weekend in Prague and always said the beer there was great and not expensive. Sadly I never made it, but some of the unfiltered Austrian beers were excellent. I'm just surprised if the US Bud is as good.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 14 Feb 19 11.40am Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

The best ? German , belgian , Dutch or Czech...non corporate giant.

The worst? Spanish or Italian. It's the lack of rainfall innit ?


Anything with alc by vol under 4.5% is likely to be feline urine.

Edited by PalazioVecchio (14 Feb 2019 11.44am)

 


from the Etihad, Emirates, Molyneux, London Stadium & Anfield to Old Trafford.....Raptors on the Road

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Bexley Eagle's Profile Bexley Eagle Flag Bexley Kent 14 Feb 19 12.02pm Send a Private Message to Bexley Eagle Add Bexley Eagle as a friend

I like in no particular order:

Whitstable Bay pale ale.
Hopping Hare
Asahi draft
Ratlers Cornish draught cider (after a day in the surf)
Guinness – although it varies in quality per establishment.

There isn’t much I won’t drink but I am not a fan of American lagers.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 14 Feb 19 12.03pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by chris123

It was the Czech one I was thinking of - when I worked in Vienna, colleagues would often weekend in Prague and always said the beer there was great and not expensive. Sadly I never made it, but some of the unfiltered Austrian beers were excellent. I'm just surprised if the US Bud is as good.

I didn't make my point well

Czech Budweiser (Budvar) is great on draught but I like bottled Budvar less.

US Budweiser isn't too good.

UK Budweiser, which is US Budweiser brewed locally, is reasonable.

The view in Prague tends to be that Urquell is the top Czech brew. I lived in a BrewPub in Brno for a while, that was nice!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Pussay Patrol Flag 14 Feb 19 1.02pm

Originally posted by PalazioVecchio

The best ? German , belgian , Dutch or Czech...non corporate giant.

The worst? Spanish or Italian. It's the lack of rainfall innit ?


Anything with alc by vol under 4.5% is likely to be feline urine.

Edited by PalazioVecchio (14 Feb 2019 11.44am)

Peroni, morreti, estrella, mahou is all s*** then?

 


Paua oouaarancì Irà chiyeah Ishé galé ma ba oo ah

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 14 Feb 19 1.19pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

GPW and steven_t92....have both of you encountered exactly 100 beers in your lifetime (i.e. given that your bottom 5 are ranked 96 to 100)? That would be a) quite a coincidence and b) an impressive feat of memory. (Sorry)

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Ginger Pubic Wig's Profile Ginger Pubic Wig Flag Wickham de L'Ouest 14 Feb 19 1.34pm Send a Private Message to Ginger Pubic Wig Add Ginger Pubic Wig as a friend

Originally posted by YT

GPW and steven_t92....have both of you encountered exactly 100 beers in your lifetime (i.e. given that your bottom 5 are ranked 96 to 100)? That would be a) quite a coincidence and b) an impressive feat of memory. (Sorry)

yes. precisely 100.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 14 Feb 19 3.28pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by Ginger Pubic Wig

yes. precisely 100.

I'm therefore impressed.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Your top 5 & bottom 5 lagers & beers