You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Any experts on laptops?
November 16 2019 9.10pm

Any experts on laptops?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last

 

View Palace Passion's Profile Palace Passion Flag Bromley, South London 12 Mar 19 12.38pm Send a Private Message to Palace Passion Add Palace Passion as a friend

What's the best brand of laptop at the moment? I'm looking at getting a new laptop that's not too chunky but quite a nice size screen. I mainly use them for saving photos on, Facebook, I need java for a online snooker game I play and also my mate may borrow it to look at adult video sites. I don't want to spend more then 300 so keep it as cheap as possible please (ideally around the 200 mark) Any advice would be much appreciated. Also my old laptop stopped Working (it comes on but the screen stays black) any ideas of how I'd get my old photos and files from it and put it on another laptop or phone?

 


|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||P|A|L|A|C|E||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||


***Roy Hodgson's RED 'n' BLUE ARMY***
Be loud.. Be proud.. Be PALACE!

staffie - missed but never forgotten 19/04/15

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 12 Mar 19 12.44pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Palace Passion

What's the best brand of laptop at the moment? I'm looking at getting a new laptop that's not too chunky but quite a nice size screen. I mainly use them for saving photos on, Facebook, I need java for a online snooker game I play and also my mate may borrow it to look at adult video sites. I don't want to spend more then 300 so keep it as cheap as possible please (ideally around the 200 mark) Any advice would be much appreciated. Also my old laptop stopped Working (it comes on but the screen stays black) any ideas of how I'd get my old photos and files from it and put it on another laptop or phone?

Have you tried the appropriate repair disc to get your old laptop working?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View mr. apollo's Profile mr. apollo Flag Somewhere in Switzerland 12 Mar 19 12.57pm Send a Private Message to mr. apollo Add mr. apollo as a friend

Originally posted by Palace Passion

What's the best brand of laptop at the moment? I'm looking at getting a new laptop that's not too chunky but quite a nice size screen. I mainly use them for saving photos on, Facebook, I need java for a online snooker game I play and also my mate may borrow it to look at adult video sites. I don't want to spend more then 300 so keep it as cheap as possible please (ideally around the 200 mark) Any advice would be much appreciated. Also my old laptop stopped Working (it comes on but the screen stays black) any ideas of how I'd get my old photos and files from it and put it on another laptop or phone?

If your screen stays black try plugging in an external monitor, and press the windows and p key at the same time once then enter.

If that doesn't work you can pull out the hard drive and get an external hard drive reader to get your files back.

 


Glad
All
Over

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 12 Mar 19 12.57pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Palace Passion

What's the best brand of laptop at the moment? I'm looking at getting a new laptop that's not too chunky but quite a nice size screen. I mainly use them for saving photos on, Facebook, I need java for a online snooker game I play and also my mate may borrow it to look at adult video sites. I don't want to spend more then 300 so keep it as cheap as possible please (ideally around the 200 mark) Any advice would be much appreciated. Also my old laptop stopped Working (it comes on but the screen stays black) any ideas of how I'd get my old photos and files from it and put it on another laptop or phone?

Lenova are a good brand. Anything from PC World will be fairly decent and fairly cheap.

As regards your old laptop they normally have a recovery disk as Hrolf said but be careful because that would normally wipe the drive clean so you would lose your data. Sounds like you will need to get it repaired.

Just one thought in case it is just the screen not working connect your laptop to a TV using a VGA cable or HDMI (depends how old it is). If you can get a picture on the TV then you should be able to rescue your pictures to a portable hard drive, if not then the blank screen is a symptom not the problem. You can google connect a TV to a laptop.

Edited by Badger11 (12 Mar 2019 12.58pm)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 12 Mar 19 1.05pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Lenova are a good brand. Anything from PC World will be fairly decent and fairly cheap.

As regards your old laptop they normally have a recovery disk as Hrolf said but be careful because that would normally wipe the drive clean so you would lose your data. Sounds like you will need to get it repaired.

Just one thought in case it is just the screen not working connect your laptop to a TV using a VGA cable or HDMI (depends how old it is). If you can get a picture on the TV then you should be able to rescue your pictures to a portable hard drive, if not then the blank screen is a symptom not the problem. You can google connect a TV to a laptop.

Edited by Badger11 (12 Mar 2019 12.58pm)

Sorry, Badger, to point out a typo, but isn't it LENOVO ?

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Hrolf The Ganger's Profile Hrolf The Ganger Flag 12 Mar 19 1.06pm Send a Private Message to Hrolf The Ganger Add Hrolf The Ganger as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

Lenova are a good brand. Anything from PC World will be fairly decent and fairly cheap.

As regards your old laptop they normally have a recovery disk as Hrolf said but be careful because that would normally wipe the drive clean so you would lose your data. Sounds like you will need to get it repaired.

Just one thought in case it is just the screen not working connect your laptop to a TV using a VGA cable or HDMI (depends how old it is). If you can get a picture on the TV then you should be able to rescue your pictures to a portable hard drive, if not then the blank screen is a symptom not the problem. You can google connect a TV to a laptop.

Edited by Badger11 (12 Mar 2019 12.58pm)

Repair mode should not wipe the disc. That only happens with a clean reinstall. There is normally an option menu.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 12 Mar 19 1.19pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Hrolf The Ganger

Repair mode should not wipe the disc. That only happens with a clean reinstall. There is normally an option menu.

Correct I just wanted the OP to understand the danger.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View mr. apollo's Profile mr. apollo Flag Somewhere in Switzerland 12 Mar 19 1.37pm Send a Private Message to mr. apollo Add mr. apollo as a friend

Doesn't look like any repair needs to be done as the screen stays black. Plug into an external monitor and see if it comes up, if not you will need to extract your disk and read it externally on another device.

 


Glad
All
Over

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lyons550's Profile Lyons550 Flag Shirley 12 Mar 19 2.23pm Send a Private Message to Lyons550 Add Lyons550 as a friend

Originally posted by mr. apollo

Doesn't look like any repair needs to be done as the screen stays black. Plug into an external monitor and see if it comes up, if not you will need to extract your disk and read it externally on another device.

If it is the screen thats gone you can order them on line for 50 and watch a youtube video of how to replace it...I did the step daughters one the other month...was really surprised at how easy it was tbh!

Otherwise I'd 2nd Lenovo as solid performers for around the 300 mark

 


The Voice of Reason In An Otherwise Mediocre World

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Online Flag Croydon 12 Mar 19 2.27pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

Originally posted by Lyons550

If it is the screen thats gone you can order them on line for 50 and watch a youtube video of how to replace it...I did the step daughters one the other month...was really surprised at how easy it was tbh!

Otherwise I'd 2nd Lenovo as solid performers for around the 300 mark

Lenovo Thinkpads are extremely good value refurbished and come in around 200, with a good display and i5 processor.

There are numerous outlets on Ebay, basically they are end of line office stock often little used with a business spec.

You may have to replace the battery sometime but they are easily available.

Good hunting......


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 12 Mar 19 2.29pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

If you are buying new then look in PC world - choose the one you want - and then shop around. Usually the same or similar can be up to 100 less elsewhere. I bought my 8g Ram 1TB hard-drive Acer in Tesco's for 339 - was 429 in PC world.

 


Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View grumpymort's Profile grumpymort Flag 12 Mar 19 2.44pm Send a Private Message to grumpymort Add grumpymort as a friend

There is no best brand a brand is just that a brand it's the hardware that matters.

At the price budget you set you need to be looking at due to that is bottom end pricing.

Small and big screen doesn't really work and again with such a low budget you wont have really any options.

Facebook, photos and bit of java game play is fairly simple as well as adult content.

Thinkpads and Elitebooks are the ones to look at plenty of ebay that are re-certified/refurbs.

Don't ever buy new at that budget new laptops you need to be spending 500+ for anything worth while (most people get sucked in by the large number to do with ram or hdd its marketing trap)

As others have stated if it's just black screen then it will be just a simple screen type fault so either repair yourself or pay someone to do it.

To backup files connect to a tv/monitor so you can see the display and just backup your content to usb flash drive.

Edited by grumpymort (12 Mar 2019 2.46pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Any experts on laptops?