You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Meeting your heros
July 17 2019 5.27pm

Meeting your heros

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last »

 

View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Flag Croydon 31 Mar 19 11.58am Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

Bit random. Got on a ferry this morning and found myself sitting next to Bruce Foxton from The Jam.

Had to say hello etc. What a nice fella. Spent several minutes talking music. Love it when you meet your heros and they are nice in real life.
Must say in real life he looked even better. Proper cool bloke.

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 31 Mar 19 12.10pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

In the Christmas holidays in 1972 I went up to Selhurst to get the players autographs when they came in for training. They all signed and were very friendly but Don Rogers hadn’t arrived. I hung around with my mate for a while and then saw him drive in. Approached him but he dashed past saying he was late and the boss was going to tear his head off. He then said he’d try to come out later. Ten minutes later he came back out, signed a few bits and thanked us for waiting. He was and still is my favourite player.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Flag Croydon 31 Mar 19 12.20pm Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

In the Christmas holidays in 1972 I went up to Selhurst to get the players autographs when they came in for training. They all signed and were very friendly but Don Rogers hadn’t arrived. I hung around with my mate for a while and then saw him drive in. Approached him but he dashed past saying he was late and the boss was going to tear his head off. He then said he’d try to come out later. Ten minutes later he came back out, signed a few bits and thanked us for waiting. He was and still is my favourite player.

Great story

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 31 Mar 19 12.29pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

The part that got me was that he seemed genuinely grateful that a couple of kids had waited ten minutes for him. I’d have waited all day and still been chuffed if he signed for me.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 31 Mar 19 3.07pm Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

I think there is a phrase, "Don't meet your heroes, as you'll only be disappointed".

Jim Cannon, Wright and Brighty, AJ, Mel Blythe were all superb.

Sir Derek Jacobi was very nice, as was Nigel Mansell, Rick Wakeman and Roger Hodgson in the late 1990's..

Meeting celebrities at their peak, can be problematic.
I met band members from Megadeth in the early 1990's and thought Dave Mustaine was particularly c-untish.

In later years, when their popularity in fading, I think you'll find your heroes a lot more sociable, and with a lot better stories to tell.


Edited by Forest Hillbilly (31 Mar 2019 4.11pm)

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sickboy's Profile sickboy Flag Dordogne 31 Mar 19 3.21pm Send a Private Message to sickboy Add sickboy as a friend

Back in the 80s went to an exhibition evening at the snooker club on the goat house bridge. Alex Higgins played a best of 3 against a 13 year old kid. The nipper won the first frame , after which, Higgins played like a total cnut. Left every single shot for the boy in the middle of the table so he had to use a rest. When he had won the last 2 frames he grabbed a bottle from behind the bar and went and sat outside in the limo. Just as well because it was a very nasty atmosphere. Also there that night sitting quietly at the bar was John H Stracey (same agent or something). An absolute gent. Sat at the bar chatting to him for a good hour.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 31 Mar 19 4.13pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by sickboy

Back in the 80s went to an exhibition evening at the snooker club on the goat house bridge. Alex Higgins played a best of 3 against a 13 year old kid. The nipper won the first frame , after which, Higgins played like a total cnut. Left every single shot for the boy in the middle of the table so he had to use a rest. When he had won the last 2 frames he grabbed a bottle from behind the bar and went and sat outside in the limo. Just as well because it was a very nasty atmosphere. Also there that night sitting quietly at the bar was John H Stracey (same agent or something). An absolute gent. Sat at the bar chatting to him for a good hour.

In the early 80’s I was in a pub in Sydney, turned round and saw I was standing next to Alex Higgins. Later that night I was talking to another English bloke and mentioned it to him as it seemed newsworthy.
He said, “Reg Varney came in a few years ago”.
Reg Varney? This was Alex Higgins.
He shrugged “Yeah. He’s over there smoking dope with the boys”.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 31 Mar 19 4.16pm Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

I met Paul McGrath in the 1980's in a players lounge. He was an amazing bloke and a complete alcoholic.
The words, "We know how this is going to end", still haunt me.
Thankfully, the guy is still fighting.

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View monkey's Profile monkey Flag 31 Mar 19 5.08pm Send a Private Message to monkey Add monkey as a friend

When I was a kid, Billy Gilbert was pulling into the car park in his Jag and me and a mate jumped in front of his car to make him stop. He did, wound his window down and waved to us to come round to him as he leaned out. All excited we trotted round to talk to him, but all he did was growl at us “why don’t you two fcuk off”
Now my mate was gutted that one of our heroes had treated us like this, but I was actually really proud that my hero seemed to be as aggressive in real life as he was on the pitch,,,,and to be honest, we were bloody stupid and probably deserved it.

It’s a story I’ve told a million times, my hero Billy Gilbert told me to fcuk off and it was the best day of my life

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ChrisGC's Profile ChrisGC Flag Wantage 31 Mar 19 5.38pm Send a Private Message to ChrisGC Add ChrisGC as a friend

Originally posted by Forest Hillbilly

I think there is a phrase, "Don't meet your heroes, as you'll only be disappointed".

Jim Cannon, Wright and Brighty, AJ, Mel Blythe were all superb.

Sir Derek Jacobi was very nice, as was Nigel Mansell, Rick Wakeman and Roger Hodgson in the late 1990's..

Meeting celebrities at their peak, can be problematic.
I met band members from Megadeth in the early 1990's and thought Dave Mustaine was particularly c-untish.

In later years, when their popularity in fading, I think you'll find your heroes a lot more sociable, and with a lot better stories to tell.


Edited by Forest Hillbilly (31 Mar 2019 4.11pm)

I dunno. We met Mel Blythe in Speronis three or four seasons ago and he was a miserable t***.


Edited by ChrisGC (31 Mar 2019 5.40pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lakeview's Profile Lakeview Flag Lincoln 31 Mar 19 7.19pm Send a Private Message to Lakeview Add Lakeview as a friend

I've told this before on here, but it fits the subject.
A while after our Play Off Final v West Ham, I was working at a wedding reception for an ex-Lincoln City player and, as I sat drumming bad dinner music, I spotted Danny Butterfield. He was mates with the groom. At our break I had a chat with him-half thinking he'd be bored or off-hand. I told him he'd been part of one of my greatest ever Palace moments he was friendly and said: "Yeah-that was a great night!" presumably thinking of the party after the victory.
As a young supporter I said hello to Bobby Tambling and Mel Blythe both were not particularly keen at being said hello to by a twelve year old fan. Mark Bright wrote a lovely letter to my daughter after she contacted him for a school project.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Pussay Patrol Flag 01 Apr 19 8.33am

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

Bit random. Got on a ferry this morning and found myself sitting next to Bruce Foxton from The Jam.

Had to say hello etc. What a nice fella. Spent several minutes talking music. Love it when you meet your heros and they are nice in real life.
Must say in real life he looked even better. Proper cool bloke.

Does he still play for their tribute band?

Bit of a no no in rock n roll terms, can you actually be a tribute to yourself?

 


Paua oouaarancì Irà chiyeah Ishé galé ma ba oo ah

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Meeting your heros