You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > John McCririck
November 19 2019 9.25pm

John McCririck

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

 

View .TUX.'s Profile .TUX. Flag 07 Jul 19 6.45pm Send a Private Message to .TUX. Add .TUX. as a friend

To a non racing fan such as myself he was the face of racing for many many years. A legend.

RIP.

 


Buy Litecoin.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Casual's Profile Casual Flag Orpington 07 Jul 19 7.24pm Send a Private Message to Casual Add Casual as a friend

Always thought he was an annoying c*nt. someone who had nothing to say, but said it too loud. Now a dead annoying c*nt.
condolences to his family.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jimenez's Profile Jimenez Flag SELHURSTPARKCHESTER,DA BRONX 07 Jul 19 8.08pm Send a Private Message to Jimenez Add Jimenez as a friend

Originally posted by Cucking Funt

I only found out about this at five to one.

Fixed odds Bender

 


Pro USA & Israel

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dollardays's Profile dollardays Flag 07 Jul 19 9.49pm Send a Private Message to dollardays Add dollardays as a friend

Originally posted by Casual

Always thought he was an annoying c*nt. someone who had nothing to say, but said it too loud. Now a dead annoying c*nt.
condolences to his family.

I hope you didn't read out the eulogy

Edited by dollardays (07 Jul 2019 9.49pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 08 Jul 19 1.40am Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

Originally posted by Casual

Always thought he was an annoying c*nt. someone who had nothing to say, but said it too loud. Now a dead annoying c*nt.
condolences to his family.

I actually interviewed the man for a racing magazine back in 2001 - he was vile and I am in full agreement with you pretty much. However, his betting stuff live from the ring was a first and he did that well - he was ego and bluster but he got things going with his energy, people bought it, he was more ridiculous than offensive, a lot of it was a wind up but he made a right t*t of himself on Question Time, I think even Donald Trump would have disowned him on that performance.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dollardays's Profile dollardays Flag 08 Jul 19 3.14am Send a Private Message to dollardays Add dollardays as a friend

Originally posted by ex hibitionist

I actually interviewed the man for a racing magazine back in 2001 - he was vile and I am in full agreement with you pretty much. However, his betting stuff live from the ring was a first and he did that well - he was ego and bluster but he got things going with his energy, people bought it, he was more ridiculous than offensive, a lot of it was a wind up but he made a right t*t of himself on Question Time, I think even Donald Trump would have disowned him on that performance.

Dare I ask... what happened?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 08 Jul 19 7.32pm Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

his agent phoned the magazine I was on (for a brief window of dream-living before returning to the coal face) - for an interview - his first words: "Who's this, what's this for? come on lets get it over with" - doesn't sound much just very rude and condescending - there was one pause where I was trying to think what words to use, a tssk, when I pleasantly thanked him at the end he sighs and hangs up. Classic case of someone who thinks they're important also thinks they're entitled to be rude. To his credit he did carry the program he was on at times and was good to listen when he stuck to sport, used to be on Goldstein and Cundy a lot and though I obviously couldn't drum up much liking having been fairly insulted by him through gritted teeth I must admit I enjoyed what he had to say. He could get a lively discussion going and generate laughs, though he wasn't particularly funny or witty himself, I did not like his journalism, boring, and his politics were way OTT. He was a good racing man, but he got all his breaks from the old boy's network, there are much more interesting sports hacks slumming it on football fan forum sites apparently. If I can scan and attach the article I did I'll stick it up - but don't hold your breath.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dollardays's Profile dollardays Flag 08 Jul 19 9.39pm Send a Private Message to dollardays Add dollardays as a friend

Originally posted by ex hibitionist

his agent phoned the magazine I was on (for a brief window of dream-living before returning to the coal face) - for an interview - his first words: "Who's this, what's this for? come on lets get it over with" - doesn't sound much just very rude and condescending - there was one pause where I was trying to think what words to use, a tssk, when I pleasantly thanked him at the end he sighs and hangs up. Classic case of someone who thinks they're important also thinks they're entitled to be rude. To his credit he did carry the program he was on at times and was good to listen when he stuck to sport, used to be on Goldstein and Cundy a lot and though I obviously couldn't drum up much liking having been fairly insulted by him through gritted teeth I must admit I enjoyed what he had to say. He could get a lively discussion going and generate laughs, though he wasn't particularly funny or witty himself, I did not like his journalism, boring, and his politics were way OTT. He was a good racing man, but he got all his breaks from the old boy's network, there are much more interesting sports hacks slumming it on football fan forum sites apparently. If I can scan and attach the article I did I'll stick it up - but don't hold your breath.

Thanks for the thorough retelling!

"Who's this, what's this for? come on lets get it over with" haha. I can just hear him saying that.

Yes I liked his eccentric ways on our TV screens, but I'm sure that dealing with him as a person may well have been a bit more challenging.

He was certainly a one off though, I'll give him that. Not like most of the identikit presenters and pundits you see now.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Harry Beever's Profile Harry Beever Flag Newbury 09 Jul 19 6.33am Send a Private Message to Harry Beever Add Harry Beever as a friend

[Link]

Excellent article from a great journalist who knew him well. It was all an act and those who worked closely with him loved him.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 09 Jul 19 10.43pm Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

Originally posted by Harry Beever

[Link]

Excellent article from a great journalist who knew him well. It was all an act and those who worked closely with him loved him.

Oh no it wasn't and oh no they didn't - I've had the dubious honour of meeting the writer of the article you posted - t*rds of a feather I'm afraid, I don't have an axe to grind (unfortunately at times), but the RTE boys I met were great (that's Irish Racing - had interviews for Channel 4 - spent a day in the morning line audience and with the whole team), Mike Cattermole nice fella, Barry Dennis a decent bloke, Francome OK but immature - gets off on physically inferior types wanting to be like him, JA McGrath inoffensive but up his fundament, but it's these public school boys who are ugly, overweight and lacking in the social graces who are the worst, Cornelius Lysaght is another, the huge chip on the sholder they harbour is cured by some ante-deluvian snobbery - and a slightly superior strain of these tw*ts are now running the country and the trusting, ignorant and unwitting look up to them, they are the rock hard lump of excrement which constipates the flow of talent in the failed state we call Great Britain - and that, more than anything else, is what Big Mac was about - but credit to his innovative talent as a niche broadcaster, limited to not much beyond that niche though it was.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Harry Beever's Profile Harry Beever Flag Newbury 10 Jul 19 5.50am Send a Private Message to Harry Beever Add Harry Beever as a friend

Originally posted by ex hibitionist

Oh no it wasn't and oh no they didn't - I've had the dubious honour of meeting the writer of the article you posted - t*rds of a feather I'm afraid, I don't have an axe to grind (unfortunately at times), but the RTE boys I met were great (that's Irish Racing - had interviews for Channel 4 - spent a day in the morning line audience and with the whole team), Mike Cattermole nice fella, Barry Dennis a decent bloke, Francome OK but immature - gets off on physically inferior types wanting to be like him, JA McGrath inoffensive but up his fundament, but it's these public school boys who are ugly, overweight and lacking in the social graces who are the worst, Cornelius Lysaght is another, the huge chip on the sholder they harbour is cured by some ante-deluvian snobbery - and a slightly superior strain of these tw*ts are now running the country and the trusting, ignorant and unwitting look up to them, they are the rock hard lump of excrement which constipates the flow of talent in the failed state we call Great Britain - and that, more than anything else, is what Big Mac was about - but credit to his innovative talent as a niche broadcaster, limited to not much beyond that niche though it was.

Wow! Enjoyed that more than the article! Wasn’t championing Alastair Down’s character but he does write well (in my opinion) and is well respected for his thoughts. I remember when Mick Easterby called Alastair a cnut on live tv and he probably wasn’t too wide of the mark. Francome is a very decent man who does a huge amount for charity especially the injured jockey’s fund. How he “gets off” is really his business. Have always rated Alice Plunkett as a person and a journalist who seems to have hated him and loved him in equal measure. Complicated character who wasn’t really my cup of tea but he had his time and he was good for racing. Dettori is another personality who is good for racing but an arrogant arse in real life. The ITV bunch seem like less of an aloof bunch than the channel 4 stalwarts.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 10 Jul 19 10.21am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Harry Beever

Dettori is another personality who is good for racing but an arrogant arse in real life.

That seems to be true of so many sporting superstars.

Is it arrogance or just supreme self belief?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post | Board Moderator Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > John McCririck