You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Eagle Samaritans
October 24 2020 1.20am

Eagle Samaritans

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last »

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Jamesey's Profile Jamesey Flag Wandsworth 20 Mar 20 10.36pm Send a Private Message to Jamesey Add Jamesey as a friend

Despite all the hardships threatening the future (local pub shut and good draught beer now unobtainable!) I was surprised to recieve a phone call from a young Palace supporter today who said that, with the help of the club, he had been given a list of about 1,000 current over-70 season ticket holders, of which I am one.

He was phoning, along with others, to see if any of us needed help in any of the usual areas such as shopping, mobility, etc.

My own family doesn’t need help at present (fingers crossed) but I was touched to know that the older bunch of us were being remembered and my gratitude goes out to this admirable gesture.

 


Nothing is fool-proof - fools are too ingenious

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View Tom-the-eagle's Profile Tom-the-eagle Flag Croydon 20 Mar 20 11.49pm Send a Private Message to Tom-the-eagle Add Tom-the-eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Jamesey

Despite all the hardships threatening the future (local pub shut and good draught beer now unobtainable!) I was surprised to recieve a phone call from a young Palace supporter today who said that, with the help of the club, he had been given a list of about 1,000 current over-70 season ticket holders, of which I am one.

He was phoning, along with others, to see if any of us needed help in any of the usual areas such as shopping, mobility, etc.

My own family doesn’t need help at present (fingers crossed) but I was touched to know that the older bunch of us were being remembered and my gratitude goes out to this admirable gesture.


Funny, in my mind I always had you down as a younger fella

I’m hoping the one positive from this sh@t is that we all learn some humanity.

Hope you are safe and well mate.

 


"It feels much better than it ever did, much more sensitive." John Wayne Bobbit

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jamesey's Profile Jamesey Flag Wandsworth 20 Mar 20 11.54pm Send a Private Message to Jamesey Add Jamesey as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle


Funny, in my mind I always had you down as a younger fella

I’m hoping the one positive from this sh@t is that we all learn some humanity.

Hope you are safe and well mate.

Thanks for your good wishes, Tom.

Well I only look about 69.

You are right and "humanity" is a very appropriate word...

Edited by Jamesey (20 Mar 2020 11.55pm)

 


Nothing is fool-proof - fools are too ingenious

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sitdownstandup's Profile sitdownstandup Flag 21 Mar 20 1.48am Send a Private Message to sitdownstandup Add sitdownstandup as a friend

Originally posted by Jamesey

Despite all the hardships threatening the future (local pub shut and good draught beer now unobtainable!) I was surprised to recieve a phone call from a young Palace supporter today who said that, with the help of the club, he had been given a list of about 1,000 current over-70 season ticket holders, of which I am one.

He was phoning, along with others, to see if any of us needed help in any of the usual areas such as shopping, mobility, etc.

My own family doesn’t need help at present (fingers crossed) but I was touched to know that the older bunch of us were being remembered and my gratitude goes out to this admirable gesture.

A real nice story. Well done that young man for helping out and thank you for posting it.

Edited by sitdownstandup (21 Mar 2020 1.55am)

 


I never use a napkin on my lap at a restaurant... because I believe in myself.

Hannibal Burress

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View The Dolphin's Profile The Dolphin Flag 21 Mar 20 5.47am Send a Private Message to The Dolphin Add The Dolphin as a friend

And Wilf now offering 50 properties that he normally rents to business travellers to NHS staff to help them in the fight against the virus.
Times online but I don't subscribe so can't read the whole article.
Top bloke!!!!!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 21 Mar 20 7.42am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Jamesey

Despite all the hardships threatening the future (local pub shut and good draught beer now unobtainable!) I was surprised to recieve a phone call from a young Palace supporter today who said that, with the help of the club, he had been given a list of about 1,000 current over-70 season ticket holders, of which I am one.

He was phoning, along with others, to see if any of us needed help in any of the usual areas such as shopping, mobility, etc.

My own family doesn’t need help at present (fingers crossed) but I was touched to know that the older bunch of us were being remembered and my gratitude goes out to this admirable gesture.

Just shows how our lives are now my first thought was “is this a scam? Would the club be allowed to give out personal details?”
Well done to everyone involved, hope all is well with all posters

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 21 Mar 20 8.30am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Jamesey

I was surprised to recieve a phone call from a young Palace supporter today who said that, with the help of the club, he had been given a list of about 1,000 current over-70 season ticket holders, of which I am one.



Leaving aside the kindly intention the club could be in serious trouble for breaching GDPR if it ever got out what they had done as the protection of confidential data is absolutely sacrosanct

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 21 Mar 20 8.41am Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle


Leaving aside the kindly intention the club could be in serious trouble for breaching GDPR if it ever got out what they had done as the protection of confidential data is absolutely sacrosanct

My first thought. ^^^
We have a similar situation out here in the sticks with kindly souls offering to run errands.

Trouble is, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "yeah, let some daft pensioner give you money for some shopping and then f-ck off"
Never mind 'The Blitz spirit'. Crime soared during the Blitz with vacated houses being robbed and a booming black market in foodstuffs

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jamesey's Profile Jamesey Flag Wandsworth 21 Mar 20 10.42am Send a Private Message to Jamesey Add Jamesey as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle


Leaving aside the kindly intention the club could be in serious trouble for breaching GDPR if it ever got out what they had done as the protection of confidential data is absolutely sacrosanct


I did ask the caller how he knew that I was season-ticket holder and my name and phone number and he said that the marketing dept had given him details. Perhaps I should have been more suspicious but it didn't cross my mind that any criminal intent could have been involved. Possibly I was too trusting but what could he have gained from helping me out if I had responded?


Edited by Jamesey (21 Mar 2020 10.42am)

 


Nothing is fool-proof - fools are too ingenious

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HeathMan's Profile HeathMan Flag Purley 21 Mar 20 11.52pm Send a Private Message to HeathMan Holmesdale Online Elite Member Add HeathMan as a friend

It sounds that you have the option to check with the Club. For all we know it could be the Marketing Department checking for need - which imo would not breach GDPR. We all need to be careful in these times, does the Club have a stash of soft paper, with Izal for those not highly regarded?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 22 Mar 20 6.37am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by HeathMan

does the Club have a stash of soft paper, with Izal for those not highly regarded?

Google shows me that they still make Izal which surprises me as I thought that it had been discontinued decades ago

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View samprior's Profile samprior Flag Hamburg 22 Mar 20 7.44am Send a Private Message to samprior Add samprior as a friend

Originally posted by Jamesey


I did ask the caller how he knew that I was season-ticket holder and my name and phone number and he said that the marketing dept had given him details. Perhaps I should have been more suspicious but it didn't cross my mind that any criminal intent could have been involved. Possibly I was too trusting but what could he have gained from helping me out if I had responded?


Edited by Jamesey (21 Mar 2020 10.42am)

I'm sure that I read somewhere that the Palace For Life Foundation were going to be carrying our some support for members and the local community. So hopefully this is part of that and your sense of trust was well placed.

But as ever people should remain aware as sadly there's always some undesirable looking to profit from a bad situation.

Good health to you all

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last »

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Eagle Samaritans