You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Hundreds of meat industryworkers have coronoavirus
October 19 2020 4.35pm

Hundreds of meat industryworkers have coronoavirus

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

 

View DanH's Profile DanH Flag SW2 16 Apr 20 3.55pm Send a Private Message to DanH Add DanH as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

It'll be no more than 50-100 a day for very hard work. And one for Danh is yes, I did used to do it. Nothing better than a hard summer's work to make you tough. Not like all the pansies these days, eh Dan.

I did it too for a month or so one summer! Definitely before I was 16 and definitely for about £10 a day the scorching heat. My best mate's neighbour owned a fruit farm. The eastern European workers would work at about 5 times the speed of us. Was exhausting.

If we want British people to do these jobs it means paying wages that mean British people would take the jobs, which means that the price of your food goes up.

 


Tw@tter:

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Online Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 16 Apr 20 4.14pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

I did it too for a month or so one summer! Definitely before I was 16 and definitely for about £10 a day the scorching heat. My best mate's neighbour owned a fruit farm. The eastern European workers would work at about 5 times the speed of us. Was exhausting.

If we want British people to do these jobs it means paying wages that mean British people would take the jobs, which means that the price of your food goes up.

Fair enough. I certainly know the experience. However, it wouldn't be a big deal for me to pay slightly more to know that able-bodied people on the dole were now working. Groceries,and plenty of food products, are artificially cheap and have been for some time. I would pay more for local and organic stuff too.
I fail to see why imported workers are necessary in any industry whilst there are millions unemployed. As for solutions, I would go as far as to have vans outside the joke shop on signing day bringing people to work for the day. No doubt, I would be labelled a Nazi. Obviously, that isn't the only solution, as some people require training. But it would be satisfying - and quite humorous to see the usual suspects' reactions.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eritheagle's Profile eritheagle Flag Erith 16 Apr 20 4.16pm Send a Private Message to eritheagle Add eritheagle as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

Loads of people in manual jobs, especially food and supermarkets aren’t practicing social distancing.

Myself and my fellow workers try to in the shop I work in, but the groups of people that come in don't seem to realize there's a lockdown on when they go shopping for all their "essential" items like paint, wallpaper paste, compost etc!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 17 Apr 20 7.06am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by DanH

I did it too for a month or so one summer! Definitely before I was 16 and definitely for about £10 a day the scorching heat. My best mate's neighbour owned a fruit farm. The eastern European workers would work at about 5 times the speed of us. Was exhausting.

If we want British people to do these jobs it means paying wages that mean British people would take the jobs, which means that the price of your food goes up.

The Volag scheme, which imports farm labourers for the summer season, has been around for many years. Having dealt with hundreds and seen their contracts ( certainly a few years ago), it is not far short of slave labour, in some cases. Poor weekly wage and then board and lodging taken out of that (often living in caravans in site)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 17 Apr 20 8.22am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by sitdownstandup


Here's the story. You'd think they'd all be tested and practise social distancing too.

[Link]

Apparently they have all been tested so that not an issue. Listening to the news this morning, they claim over 33,000 Brits applied, 16% of those were interviewed ( some withdrew before interview stage) and only under 200 have been employed. So there was interest from Brits but why not employed us open to debate. Maybe having seen terms of employment they decided it was not for them (especially if they were like the contracts I saw a few years ago) or the Romanians are prepared to accept poorer working conditions I do not know. My wife who lived in rural Essex picked fruit in her youth and she assured me the training needs to be minimal so locals could be trained very quickly. Personally I would like to see the t&cs offered. This is not a criticism of the Romanians but a little dig at the media outlets that are suggesting Brits won’t do it

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 17 Apr 20 8.22am Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

The Volag scheme, which imports farm labourers for the summer season, has been around for many years. Having dealt with hundreds and seen their contracts ( certainly a few years ago), it is not far short of slave labour, in some cases. Poor weekly wage and then board and lodging taken out of that (often living in caravans in site)

That is what my daughter did last summer. Had a caravan to herself in a corner of a field as the only girl. But as a Brit she got to drive the tractor rather than do the picking.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 17 Apr 20 8.24am Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

Apparently they have all been tested so that not an issue. Listening to the news this morning, they claim over 33,000 Brits applied, 16% of those were interviewed ( some withdrew before interview stage) and only under 200 have been employed. So there was interest from Brits but why not employed us open to debate. Maybe having seen terms of employment they decided it was not for them (especially if they were like the contracts I saw a few years ago) or the Romanians are prepared to accept poorer working conditions I do not know. My wife who lived in rural Essex picked fruit in her youth and she assured me the training needs to be minimal so locals could be trained very quickly. Personally I would like to see the t&cs offered. This is not a criticism of the Romanians but a little dig at the media outlets that are suggesting Brits won’t do it

Jobs not suited to those with webbed fingers?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View braunstoneagle's Profile braunstoneagle Flag the middle of bumf*** nowhere... 17 Apr 20 8.34am Send a Private Message to braunstoneagle Add braunstoneagle as a friend

why cant we make people who are furloughed to this work?

 


‘Football isn’t instant coffee. You have to work at it. You must grow the bean, grind it.’ Ian Holloway


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 17 Apr 20 8.52am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

That is what my daughter did last summer. Had a caravan to herself in a corner of a field as the only girl. But as a Brit she got to drive the tractor rather than do the picking.

Driving a tractor every kids dream! she was lucky to get her own caravan, hope she enjoyed the experience

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 17 Apr 20 8.54am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Mapletree

Jobs not suited to those with webbed fingers?

Possibly although if we have a wet summer, may be an advantage

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 17 Apr 20 9.04am Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

Driving a tractor every kids dream! she was lucky to get her own caravan, hope she enjoyed the experience

Not really. Very early starts and pretty boring. Despite being let loose with a flamethrower.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 17 Apr 20 9.23am Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by braunstoneagle

why cant we make people who are furloughed to this work?

Been isolating?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Hundreds of meat industryworkers have coronoavirus