You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Alexander Sörloth
September 28 2020 5.53am

Alexander Sörloth

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 7 of 47 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Plaistow Eagle's Profile Plaistow Eagle Flag 27 Jul 20 7.59pm Send a Private Message to Plaistow Eagle Add Plaistow Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by nead1

The issue was actually over trying to recoup as much as possible as was invested in his purchase - hence the E5.5m price tag which largely covered the outlay of his purchase. The judgement was made - probably by Roy, Dougie and Parish - that he was not going to make it in the PL and hence it was best for both parties to cut their losses. Such a view was, it is worth recalling, very much the judgement of the vast majority of fans. Hence, it has been a major surprise that he has done so well in Turkey whereas his impact on loan in Belgium was minimal.
Many people thought at the time that the deal that had been struck was a good one for CPFC; easy with the great vision of hindsight to say it should have been done differently.
Personally, I am still not really convinced that he will make it in a top league but time will tell.

Anyone heard of Ian Wright or Jamie Vardy - latter golden boot winner this season...!!

With that in mind how does anyone cognitively make a decision like that about a 23 year old - with no safety net - which in this case would be a recall clause.

It’s not about hindsight it’s about common sense and business acumen - both of which appear to be on this occasion sadly lacking..!!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Painter's Profile Painter Flag Croydon 27 Jul 20 8.33pm Send a Private Message to Painter Add Painter as a friend

Originally posted by Plaistow Eagle

Anyone heard of Ian Wright or Jamie Vardy - latter golden boot winner this season...!!

With that in mind how does anyone cognitively make a decision like that about a 23 year old - with no safety net - which in this case would be a recall clause.

It’s not about hindsight it’s about common sense and business acumen - both of which appear to be on this occasion sadly lacking..!!

Not sure what Wright and Vardy have to do with Sorloth, as both of them are English. A better comparison is Sandor Torghelle the Hungarian flop Dowie brought in, had rave reviews, but couldn't hack the Premier.
Hodgson is right, just because you score in one league, it doesn't follow that you will score anywhere.
The exact terms of the loan deal aren't known, its all been paper talk, we may have a big sell on clause. Its common sense not to reveal all the details of a deal. The Utd Zaha deal, who knows what the real sell on clause is?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 27 Jul 20 8.38pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Painter

Not sure what Wright and Vardy have to do with Sorloth, as both of them are English. A better comparison is Sandor Torghelle the Hungarian flop Dowie brought in, had rave reviews, but couldn't hack the Premier.
Hodgson is right, just because you score in one league, it doesn't follow that you will score anywhere.
The exact terms of the loan deal aren't known, its all been paper talk, we may have a big sell on clause. Its common sense not to reveal all the details of a deal. The Utd Zaha deal, who knows what the real sell on clause is?

I think you can safely say there is no recall clause, otherwise surely we would have activated it in January. I thought it is well known Utd get 25% of any Zaha fee up to £50m

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View nead1's Profile nead1 Flag 27 Jul 20 9.34pm Send a Private Message to nead1 Add nead1 as a friend

The safety net was about largely about covering the costs associated with his initial purchase.Can I take it you are a big fan of Sorloth and think he will cut it in the PL? If so, lets just agree to differ.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 27 Jul 20 9.59pm Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

He was really poor. Seemed to always need a touch before getting his bearings and took too long around goal.

Good luck to him if his confidence has grown in Turkey but there's no pretending he looked anything apart from well below the level here.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 27 Jul 20 10.42pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by nead1

The safety net was about largely about covering the costs associated with his initial purchase.Can I take it you are a big fan of Sorloth and think he will cut it in the PL? If so, lets just agree to differ.

If you were asking me. I don’t think he would cut in the PL, from what we have seen so far, but he is only 23. My gripe is the appalling Liam detail, surely no-one can think it was a good deal!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Bearcage's Profile Bearcage Flag Welling 27 Jul 20 10.51pm Send a Private Message to Bearcage Add Bearcage as a friend

Originally posted by Spiderman

If you were asking me. I don’t think he would cut in the PL, from what we have seen so far, but he is only 23. My gripe is the appalling Liam detail, surely no-one can think it was a good deal!

It might not be what some consider a good deal for Pslace, but it might have been the only deal possible at the time, so was the best deal.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EddieMac's Profile EddieMac Flag 27 Jul 20 11.13pm Send a Private Message to EddieMac Add EddieMac as a friend

Originally posted by Jacey

"Palace made him feel like a spare part".

[Link]

He was awful. One of the worst iv seen in a long time.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Wilbraham413's Profile Wilbraham413 Flag 28 Jul 20 3.19am Send a Private Message to Wilbraham413 Add Wilbraham413 as a friend

We paid 9M+ for this guy, gave him practically no opportunity, then immediately dumped him with no chance to recall him for 4M.

Now he's scored more than entire team this season. For anyone saying he plays in a crap league, would Benteke score 30+ in Turkey? We still have him.

No matter how you look at it, the Sorloth affair was a massive failure by the club. We either grossly overpaid for a useless player, or we let young world class striker go for nothing.

It was a horrible, embarrassing business deal, and some combination of DF and RH deserve to take some serious blame for it. We don't have the money to afford lighting it on fire like we did with Sorloth.

 


2017 Feb. (Van Aanholt) Palace 1 - 0 Middlesboro
2018 Jan. (Sako) Palace 1 - 0 Burnley
2019 May (Batshuayi, Batshuayi, OG, Van Aanholt, Townsend) Palace 5 - 3 Bournemouth
2020 Feb. (Van Aanholt) Palace 1 - 0 Newcastle

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View crvenaeagle's Profile crvenaeagle Flag 28 Jul 20 4.18am Send a Private Message to crvenaeagle Add crvenaeagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wilbraham413

We paid 9M+ for this guy, gave him practically no opportunity, then immediately dumped him with no chance to recall him for 4M.

Now he's scored more than entire team this season. For anyone saying he plays in a crap league, would Benteke score 30+ in Turkey? We still have him.

No matter how you look at it, the Sorloth affair was a massive failure by the club. We either grossly overpaid for a useless player, or we let young world class striker go for nothing.

It was a horrible, embarrassing business deal, and some combination of DF and RH deserve to take some serious blame for it. We don't have the money to afford lighting it on fire like we did with Sorloth.

Best post on this thread.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View orpingtoneagle's Profile orpingtoneagle Flag Orpington 28 Jul 20 8.06am Send a Private Message to orpingtoneagle Add orpingtoneagle as a friend

Originally posted by Wilbraham413

We paid 9M+ for this guy, gave him practically no opportunity, then immediately dumped him with no chance to recall him for 4M.

Now he's scored more than entire team this season. For anyone saying he plays in a crap league, would Benteke score 30+ in Turkey? We still have him.

No matter how you look at it, the Sorloth affair was a massive failure by the club. We either grossly overpaid for a useless player, or we let young world class striker go for nothing.

It was a horrible, embarrassing business deal, and some combination of DF and RH deserve to take some serious blame for it. We don't have the money to afford lighting it on fire like we did with Sorloth.

I see you leave Mr Parish out of your list. Nothing happens without him knowing and approving. He and the club appear strangely silent about this whole issue.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 28 Jul 20 8.33am Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by Wilbraham413

We paid 9M+ for this guy, gave him practically no opportunity, then immediately dumped him with no chance to recall him for 4M.

Now he's scored more than entire team this season. For anyone saying he plays in a crap league, would Benteke score 30+ in Turkey? We still have him.

No matter how you look at it, the Sorloth affair was a massive failure by the club. We either grossly overpaid for a useless player, or we let young world class striker go for nothing.

It was a horrible, embarrassing business deal, and some combination of DF and RH deserve to take some serious blame for it. We don't have the money to afford lighting it on fire like we did with Sorloth.

Excellent post. But I am curious how, at a time when it was said that there wasn't much in the kitty, how £9m was spent as a punt on a striker who was then swiftly released, at the same time as another striker who was on £130k a week, whose contract was coming to and end and had only scored 3 or 4 goals in a season, how that striker had his contract extended!?! The Sorloth case is very strange, it makes one wonder if something other than his footballing ability is responsible for his swift exit. In any case, someone has made handsomely from the deal and it would be interesting to see the fine details.

Edited by southnorwoodhill (28 Jul 2020 10.14am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 7 of 47 < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Alexander Sörloth