You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Most fouled players: 2 of top 3 !
October 28 2020 2.34pm

Most fouled players: 2 of top 3 !

Previous Topic | Next Topic


This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View CT Charlie's Profile CT Charlie Flag 15 Aug 20 3.02pm Send a Private Message to CT Charlie Add CT Charlie as a friend

According to this, Wilf was #2 and Jordan was #3 in the League for being fouled this season. Although Grealish was #1 by a wide margin, our lads were 20 and 30 fouls ahead of the #4 player.

[Link]

What does this say about our players, our opponents, our tactics, or anything else that comes to mind?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 15 Aug 20 3.30pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Considering how many free kicks we must have won, we must be pretty poor at them: if we had converted only a few percent of them we would have scored far more goals. I'm presuming that means we have the worst set piece to goals ratio in the league. We also had something like 150 corners for 2 goals, off the top of my head.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 15 Aug 20 3.40pm Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

Considering how many free kicks we must have won, we must be pretty poor at them: if we had converted only a few percent of them we would have scored far more goals. I'm presuming that means we have the worst set piece to goals ratio in the league. We also had something like 150 corners for 2 goals, off the top of my head.

It would be instructive to see a schematic of where these fouls take place. My guess is that the opposition is confident that our set pieces will come to nothing. Perhaps Roy Hodgson should bear these stats in mind and start to place strong emphasis on set piece routines.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 15 Aug 20 3.53pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by southnorwoodhill

It would be instructive to see a schematic of where these fouls take place. My guess is that the opposition is confident that our set pieces will come to nothing. Perhaps Roy Hodgson should bear these stats in mind and start to place strong emphasis on set piece routines.

I hope we work on them. We were hugely effective at set pieces with Sam and Pulis and I just don't understand why it seems we are so weak at them. Whenever we won a corner in the past, there seemed like some chance of scoring. But last season the only free kicks worthwhile were direct shots. Indirect or corners just seemed pointless. As you say, teams could foul away against us but there were no consequences for that. I also didn't think we were brilliant at defending them. Thus all smacks of lack of work on routines, but I am not in the know about our training methods. If I were to guess, I suspect other teams work on set pieces more than we do and are more of a threat.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View trapperjohn's Profile trapperjohn Flag Horsham 16 Aug 20 8.30am Send a Private Message to trapperjohn Add trapperjohn as a friend

Letís be honest Lukaís delivery from free kicks and corners is poor. I guess that may be down to lack of practice but bottom line is that he cannot find his own teammates probably 90% of the time.

In the past I used to hope that something would come from a free kick or corner, now it is a shock if anything does. Yes that kick against Bournemouth was sublime; but so many more are in row Z. His free kicks are over hit, under hit and just plain wayward far too much of the time

 


I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HesHereHesThere's Profile HesHereHesThere Flag Beckenham 16 Aug 20 9.59am Send a Private Message to HesHereHesThere Add HesHereHesThere as a friend

Originally posted by trapperjohn

Letís be honest Lukaís delivery from free kicks and corners is poor. I guess that may be down to lack of practice but bottom line is that he cannot find his own teammates probably 90% of the time.

In the past I used to hope that something would come from a free kick or corner, now it is a shock if anything does. Yes that kick against Bournemouth was sublime; but so many more are in row Z. His free kicks are over hit, under hit and just plain wayward far too much of the time

What Iíve particularly enjoyed over the last two or three seasons is our ability to go from having a corner back to our goalie in under three passes.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ambrose7's Profile ambrose7 Flag Croydon 16 Aug 20 12.25pm Send a Private Message to ambrose7 Add ambrose7 as a friend

It probably means our forwards have few viable passing options, so hold on to the ball and take the foul.

There's no reason for Jordan Ayew to be top 3 fouled unless he's looking to win the free kick.

 


26th January 2010 - Enter Administration
2nd May 2010 - D-Day 1 - Survival at Hillsborough
1st June 2010 - D-Day 2 - Survival at Lloyds
7th June 2010 - CPFC2010 exchange contracts.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Sutton Coldfield 16 Aug 20 1.01pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by ambrose7

It probably means our forwards have few viable passing options, so hold on to the ball and take the foul.

There's no reason for Jordan Ayew to be top 3 fouled unless he's looking to win the free kick.


That has often been the case in the home games I've watched. He makes a mazy run past a couple of opponents, usually running from our half and then gets fouled. Luka or A N Other then takes the free kick from just inside the opponent's half and nothing comes of it.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nubes's Profile Nubes Flag London 17 Aug 20 5.59am Send a Private Message to Nubes Add Nubes as a friend

There was a short-placed debate on sky sports around Grealish and Zaha being the most fouled players in the league when we played them.

Graeme Souness said in his forthright style, the both of them hold onto the ball for far too long, thatís why they are getting fouled significantly more than other players.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 17 Aug 20 7.16am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Nubes

There was a short-placed debate on sky sports around Grealish and Zaha being the most fouled players in the league when we played them.

Graeme Souness said in his forthright style, the both of them hold onto the ball for far too long, thatís why they are getting fouled significantly more than other players.

Agreed about Zaha anyway he rarely makes the early pass much as I love the guy I often find myself screaming for him to release the ball.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 


Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Most fouled players: 2 of top 3 !