You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Gambling and losing
October 25 2020 12.14am

Gambling and losing

Previous Topic | Next Topic


 

View sitdownstandup's Profile sitdownstandup Flag 01 Sep 20 5.32pm Send a Private Message to sitdownstandup Add sitdownstandup as a friend

[Link]

Stumbled across this video about gambling in a casino and the guy gets a'backoff' - gets told to stay away from a table as he is doing too well cos he knows the game.
From a documentary called 'Holy Rollers: The true story of card counting Christians' which I haven't seen but sounds pretty interesting from the title.

Good vid tho, shows how these places are really about not winning but I guess most people know that. Some people don't care though and think it's fun.
Wonder what others think about it all.

Edited by sitdownstandup (01 Sep 2020 6.16pm)

 


I never use a napkin on my lap at a restaurant... because I believe in myself.

Hannibal Burress

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 01 Sep 20 5.51pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

For quite a while I thought card counting was cheating in that a person had some kind of device to count the cards.

It's not as this guy just demonstrated he is good at playing cards and the casino doesn't like that so they ban people like him.

Gambling is a mugs game unfortunately I am one of the mugs.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View mezzer's Profile mezzer Flag Main Stand, Block F, Row 20 seat 1... 02 Sep 20 11.29am Send a Private Message to mezzer Add mezzer as a friend

Anyone who knows me knows I love a bet, but I treat my betting very much as a hobby, like some people spend their hard earned on motor sport, or golf, or the theatre, eating out etc. Betting can give you something back, but you should expect to lose your stake. Obviously, some people get in over their heads, but if you've got an addictive nature maybe you'd get addicted to some other vice instead/as well.

I've got quite an analytical brain so it gives me lots to try to work out. And I only put this analysis to work on horse racing and football. If I get it right it can give me back quite a bit. If I get it wrong (which is normal) I've spent some money enjoying myself. Casinos are, to me, just gambling and luck.

While on the subject, I don't really do tips or listen to tips, but when I heard that Nicola Adams had been announced for this year's Strictly, it struck me as a "buying money" opportunity. She's black, lesbian, part of the first same sex dancing couple and it's on the BBC. Unless one of the judges wants to openly announce their retirement from future editions none of them will put their head above the parapet and send her packing. In the current climate it would be like slaying a puppy live on Saturday peak time viewing. So when odds are offered, get on. Nailed on bet before Christmas.

 


Living down here does have some advantages. At least you can see them cry.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 04 Sep 20 12.09am Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

For quite a while I thought card counting was cheating in that a person had some kind of device to count the cards.

It's not as this guy just demonstrated he is good at playing cards and the casino doesn't like that so they ban people like him.

Gambling is a mugs game unfortunately I am one of the mugs.

Good luck to em I say. Casinos and especially bookmakers soon ban the slim proportion of punters who win, so anyone able to come out on top is deserving of it!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jimenez's Profile Jimenez Flag SELHURSTPARKCHESTER,DA BRONX 04 Sep 20 12.16am Send a Private Message to Jimenez Add Jimenez as a friend

Originally posted by mezzer

Anyone who knows me knows I love a bet, but I treat my betting very much as a hobby, like some people spend their hard earned on motor sport, or golf, or the theatre, eating out etc. Betting can give you something back, but you should expect to lose your stake. Obviously, some people get in over their heads, but if you've got an addictive nature maybe you'd get addicted to some other vice instead/as well.

I've got quite an analytical brain so it gives me lots to try to work out. And I only put this analysis to work on horse racing and football. If I get it right it can give me back quite a bit. If I get it wrong (which is normal) I've spent some money enjoying myself. Casinos are, to me, just gambling and luck.

While on the subject, I don't really do tips or listen to tips, but when I heard that Nicola Adams had been announced for this year's Strictly, it struck me as a "buying money" opportunity. She's black, lesbian, part of the first same sex dancing couple and it's on the BBC. Unless one of the judges wants to openly announce their retirement from future editions none of them will put their head above the parapet and send her packing. In the current climate it would be like slaying a puppy live on Saturday peak time viewing. So when odds are offered, get on. Nailed on bet before Christmas.

You're probably chucking your money away there mate.
It's not been announced yet but I heard on the Grapevine that Funty & DanH were entering this years Strictly, I took the 33s on Sky Bet !!

 


Pro USA & Israel

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 04 Sep 20 5.55am Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

'card counting' is just memory training. I used to do it to a reasonable level.
Being told to 'Back off' by a casino, whilst happening for years, is just poor form.
It is only under legislation they tell losers 'you've lost enough for today'

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sitdownstandup's Profile sitdownstandup Flag 04 Sep 20 6.18am Send a Private Message to sitdownstandup Add sitdownstandup as a friend

Originally posted by Forest Hillbilly

'card counting' is just memory training. I used to do it to a reasonable level.
Being told to 'Back off' by a casino, whilst happening for years, is just poor form.
It is only under legislation they tell losers 'you've lost enough for today'


Good point. I remember someone saying in the comments for the YT video about card counting that casinos will stop someone from winning too much but won't step in to stop someone from losing serious amounts of money. It would be nice to think that if they can do one they would do the other too.

Edited by sitdownstandup (04 Sep 2020 8.02am)

 


I never use a napkin on my lap at a restaurant... because I believe in myself.

Hannibal Burress

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 09 Sep 20 10.41pm Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by Forest Hillbilly

'card counting' is just memory training. I used to do it to a reasonable level.
Being told to 'Back off' by a casino, whilst happening for years, is just poor form.
It is only under legislation they tell losers 'you've lost enough for today'

You're right but there are plenty of videos on youtube of people being asked to leave casinos for card counting. I guess what it comes down to is that anything approaching a level playing field is of little interest to the casino!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 


Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > General Talk > Gambling and losing