You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Benteke
October 31 2020 2.29am

Benteke

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 11 Oct 20 4.04pm Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

Originally posted by silvertop

Yup, like puncheon. Hopeless and pilloried yet take him out of the team and the collective fails.

Taking him out of the team kept us up last season. Dropped after another pathetic performance at Sheffield Utd. Ayew comes in scores regularly, fantastic hold play and wins player of the year.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglehamster's Profile Eaglehamster Flag Storrington 11 Oct 20 7.41pm Send a Private Message to Eaglehamster Add Eaglehamster as a friend

His problem is with Palace. He scores quite regularly for his country but that is with a world class team around him.
For us he is incapable of striking a football correctly. His last goal for us was with a miskick.
Had he hit it properly, it would have gone wide.

Nobody will pay decent money for him now and like Ozil, I suspect he is happy to see his pot increment nicely for his retirement

 


My dad made me a Palace fan. Never forgiven him.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kev64's Profile kev64 Flag Thorney, Cambs 11 Oct 20 8.07pm Send a Private Message to kev64 Add kev64 as a friend

Originally posted by Rachid Rachid Rachid

Even under Pardew and Allardyce his general play was poor and he looked lazy but he scored an acceptable amount of goals. However, take that away and thereís nothing

6 goals since the start of 2017 season. That really should be the end of discussion. Thatís iro 15 mill in wages not counting his new contract for 20/21, makes CW look a bargain.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sprites's Profile sprites Flag Auckland 11 Oct 20 8.25pm Send a Private Message to sprites Add sprites as a friend

Originally posted by Rachid Rachid Rachid

Even under Pardew and Allardyce his general play was poor and he looked lazy but he scored an acceptable amount of goals. However, take that away and thereís nothing

So if he scores a lot but doesn't play well, he's lambasted. And if he plays well but doesn't score (as he has done more recently) he's lambasted.

The guy just can't win.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Den1923's Profile Den1923 Flag 12 Oct 20 12.06pm Send a Private Message to Den1923 Add Den1923 as a friend

Originally posted by sprites

So if he scores a lot but doesn't play well, he's lambasted. And if he plays well but doesn't score (as he has done more recently) he's lambasted.

The guy just can't win.

Can't remember when he did that!, the big question is, if he was that good why did Klopp not want him?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Pete53's Profile Pete53 Flag Hassocks 12 Oct 20 1.09pm Send a Private Message to Pete53 Add Pete53 as a friend

Originally posted by sprites

So if he scores a lot but doesn't play well, he's lambasted. And if he plays well but doesn't score (as he has done more recently) he's lambasted.

The guy just can't win.

I'll admit that he put in a couple of quite good performances just before the suspension of last season back in March. Before that though he hadn't been playing well and certainly not scoring ( nor looking like scoring).I think three years is more than enough time for him to show whether he's got something to offer.

If we add Wickham into the mix that's nearly 7 seasons worth of non productive/non-playing strikers.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View grumpymort's Profile grumpymort Flag 12 Oct 20 1.32pm Send a Private Message to grumpymort Add grumpymort as a friend

Originally posted by Den1923

Can't remember when he did that!, the big question is, if he was that good why did Klopp not want him?


You clearly are not watching the full games or understand how the game is played.

Again with that last comment about Klopp shows you don't understand the game.

He never fit into the way Liverpool want to play it was poor purchase same as Carrol and just like Lukaku at Man United yet look at him how he has done away from them.

This guy is doing it for his country yes its different type of game but still shows he has something about him if used to his strengths which he has not been under Roy even Big Sam when he was at the club stated need to use him correct manner which he did and started scoring again.

If people don't provide you service how are you suppose to do anything.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Den1923's Profile Den1923 Flag 12 Oct 20 4.20pm Send a Private Message to Den1923 Add Den1923 as a friend

Originally posted by grumpymort


You clearly are not watching the full games or understand how the game is played.

Again with that last comment about Klopp shows you don't understand the game.

He never fit into the way Liverpool want to play it was poor purchase same as Carrol and just like Lukaku at Man United yet look at him how he has done away from them.

This guy is doing it for his country yes its different type of game but still shows he has something about him if used to his strengths which he has not been under Roy even Big Sam when he was at the club stated need to use him correct manner which he did and started scoring again.

If people don't provide you service how are you suppose to do anything.

Im sorry but I totally disagree, CB has had one reasonable season with us, when he scored 15 goals, he is a one trick striker and that his ability to head a ball but even that has deserted him, his PL goals since 2017 are conspicuous by their absence. He lacks ground skills, the ability to work defenders off and on the ball, he is just not quick enough for the modern game and totally unworthy of his salary. It has nothing to do with service, sorry but he has lost it since his Villa days and the sooner he retires to his tea shop the better!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 12 Oct 20 4.29pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Den1923

Im sorry but I totally disagree, CB has had one reasonable season with us, when he scored 15 goals, he is a one trick striker and that his ability to head a ball but even that has deserted him, his PL goals since 2017 are conspicuous by their absence. He lacks ground skills, the ability to work defenders off and on the ball, he is just not quick enough for the modern game and totally unworthy of his salary. It has nothing to do with service, sorry but he has lost it since his Villa days and the sooner he retires to his tea shop the better!

In the PL, Benteke has scored 72 goals but only 26 were from his head.

Edited by Willo (12 Oct 2020 4.30pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag Kent 12 Oct 20 4.45pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Benteke has all the components to be quite a complete forward. He's tall, strong, good in the air, can play a pass, has good ball control, can finish and has even scored free'kicks in the past. He's not got blistering pace but he can run too. Anyone who denies any of that has not watched him play beyond the last few years.

I don't buy that the fact we don't play to his strengths being the cause of his lack of return. I still do think that yes we hardly play a style that is set up for a forward to come in and score 20+ a season but does not explain his ridiculously barren spell.

IMO, he just does not have that love for the game (if he did once have it) and therefore what we have seen is a player putting in 30-40% performances, at best, every time he is on the pitch. For me it looked as though he hit the big time with Liverpool which didn't quite work out, came to us with a point to prove one season and then just simply lost any inspiration whatsoever. That for me is what is most disappointing and probably why a proportion of Palace fans cling to the hope he'll turn up again one day. I reckon it's gone, you can't be an effective Sportsperson on any level if you're disinterested in your job. I would wager that also becomes less important to some if they are earning 100k+ a week.

 


Here's to you the famous red and blue.....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 12 Oct 20 4.52pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

Benteke has all the components to be quite a complete forward. He's tall, strong, good in the air, can play a pass, has good ball control, can finish and has even scored free'kicks in the past. He's not got blistering pace but he can run too. Anyone who denies any of that has not watched him play beyond the last few years.

I don't buy that the fact we don't play to his strengths being the cause of his lack of return. I still do think that yes we hardly play a style that is set up for a forward to come in and score 20+ a season but does not explain his ridiculously barren spell.

IMO, he just does not have that love for the game (if he did once have it) and therefore what we have seen is a player putting in 30-40% performances, at best, every time he is on the pitch. For me it looked as though he hit the big time with Liverpool which didn't quite work out, came to us with a point to prove one season and then just simply lost any inspiration whatsoever. That for me is what is most disappointing and probably why a proportion of Palace fans cling to the hope he'll turn up again one day. I reckon it's gone, you can't be an effective Sportsperson on any level if you're disinterested in your job. I would wager that also becomes less important to some if they are earning 100k+ a week.

Benteke has scored 1 goal from a 'Free kick' in the PL.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 12 Oct 20 6.17pm Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

6 goals in 3 seasons, on £130k a week - is there really any need to discuss further?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Benteke