You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > roy out
May 18 2021 10.07pm

roy out

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 382 of 385 < 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Flag Midhurst 27 Apr 21 2.09pm Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

Originally posted by PZ Eagle

These Roy Out posters really make me laugh they are so deluded. Do they honestly truly believe that a new manager is going to come in and buy about four or more new defenders or a couple of attacking midfielders on the sort of money we have to spend. A half decent centre back would cost about 25 million and a decent midfielder like Cabeye about 50 million. There may be some bargains out there but would they be Premier league ready. Plus of course a new manger, according to many on here. would have to have the team playing like Man City straight away.

Look at the weed for instance, everybody is saying what attractive football they play under Potter so why are they struggling to avoid relegation and we are not.

It's about time to stop giving Roy all the Flak and reserving some criticism to the owners for underfunding
the Manager who, given what he has to work with is doing a great job keeping us in this league.

I'm with you on this PZ.

 


Dad and I would watch games on the muddy slope of the Holmesdale Road end, probably at the same time as Roy.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View si_1967's Profile si_1967 Flag Surrey 27 Apr 21 2.46pm Send a Private Message to si_1967 Add si_1967 as a friend

Originally posted by Canterbury Palace

Utterly woeful. It's the same issues game after game and season after season with Roy. He's an old dog who could learn a new trick but stubbornly refuses to.

I can't express how annoyed his policies on substitutions makes me. He seems to have the philosophy that if we take the lead everything is going well and shouldn't be touched.

My view is that we have the oldest squad, starting XI and defence in the league and asking the same aging group to play 90 minutes game after game is asking for trouble.

It will come as no surprise that our goal difference in the final 15 minutes (-9) and the number of goals we have conceded in that period (15) are both the worst in the league, with Roy repeatedly refusing to bring on fresh legs. Making attacking substitutions after the game has already gone is pointless.

Similarly I do not understand his absolute blind loyalty to Christian Benteke and his refusal to give Mateta a chance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Benteke. His scoring days are clearly over but as a target man he is still effective.

But the reality is that we are safe now and there is absolutely no reason for us to not give some fringe players a chance in the remaining games. Benteke is out of contract and being linked with a move away, whereas we have Mateta for another season. So why won't we give him a go?

We're still playing the same dross that we've played for 2 or 3 seasons now but aren't even tight at the back anymore. 54 goals conceded is the 4th worst record in the league. I believe I heard them say that we've already conceded more goals than we did last season and that's with City to come this weekend.

I know it's not all Roy's fault and the lack of investment has been criminal but, even with that excuse, his utter inflexibility and refusal to deviate from one mundane script is making watching football so much harder at a time when it's already s*** due to the lack of fans and VAR.

I'm not anti Roy at all, but this is spot on!

 


... what

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 27 Apr 21 2.52pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by PZ Eagle

These Roy Out posters really make me laugh they are so deluded. Do they honestly truly believe that a new manager is going to come in and buy about four or more new defenders or a couple of attacking midfielders on the sort of money we have to spend. A half decent centre back would cost about 25 million and a decent midfielder like Cabeye about 50 million. There may be some bargains out there but would they be Premier league ready. Plus of course a new manger, according to many on here. would have to have the team playing like Man City straight away.

Look at the weed for instance, everybody is saying what attractive football they play under Potter so why are they struggling to avoid relegation and we are not.

It's about time to stop giving Roy all the Flak and reserving some criticism to the owners for underfunding
the Manager who, given what he has to work with is doing a great job keeping us in this league.

What is deluded is thinking no other manager can do better. Try reading Canterbury Palace's post which explains perfectly why we are not managed as well as we could be.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PZ Eagle's Profile PZ Eagle Flag Penzance 27 Apr 21 3.37pm Send a Private Message to PZ Eagle Add PZ Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

What is deluded is thinking no other manager can do better. Try readin

I see my stalker is alive and well. I haven't posted for weeks but as soon as I do eaglecoops is in like Flint. FYI I have read Canterbury Palace's post. And for the record I didn't say another Manager couldn't do better but it would need massive investment to do so. Given the exact same parameters that Roy has to operate under I doubt whether they could .

 


Conjunctivitis.com - A site for sore eyes.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View thai-eagle's Profile thai-eagle Flag chiang mai 27 Apr 21 3.54pm Send a Private Message to thai-eagle Add thai-eagle as a friend

Think we all should appreciate the work of our manager. BUT, his game plans (Benteke a regular among other things) and none-use of efficient substitutes (like McCarthy in vs Leicester when we needed offensive power) and allergy to younger players, make me wish for a change of manager the coming season. Relegation or not, some of the games this season has been absolutely horrible. Funny enough, the 0-7 vs Liverpool was actually one of our better games (esp. 1st half).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Canterbury Palace's Profile Canterbury Palace Flag Whitstable 27 Apr 21 3.58pm Send a Private Message to Canterbury Palace Add Canterbury Palace as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

I'm willing to bet that if you went on any other club's HOL equivalent you would read about supporters disagreeing with their managers team selections, and in particular, substitutions !

Thomas Tuchel is regularly criticised for the brand of football his teams play, but of course he is winning games with it and I guess there is the difference. And he certainly has the players available to him to play more expansive football.

I think Benteke is a more effective target man than Mateta and that's why he's being selected. But I do take the point that we should be seeing more of Mateta, and hopefully will as the season winds down.

As for our conceding goals, it's not surprising given that we have 4 ageing ' sicknotes ' rotating with a player more comfortable in midfield at club level. The club could and should have dome more to prevent the situation.

It is a tough watch at the moment. As it largely was under Peter Taylor, Trevor Francis, Dario Gradi, Alan Mullery....oh that's brought back some bad memories...


You're absolutely right, most fanbases moan equally about managerial decisions. I'd wager that, with the possible exceptions of City, Liverpool and Leeds, every group does it in the Premier League. That is the nature of being a fan I suppose but also defines these forums.

However, I also think it's perfectly natural for fans to demand more. We haven't won a major honour or competed in European competition in our history (No, I don't count the Zenith or Intertoto) so I don't think we are being greedy or entitled by doing so.

Nobody is asking for a top 6 finish but we've come within minutes of winning the FA Cup recently and even Burnley have played in the Europa League, so I can't accept that it's beyond our reach as a club.

Those things can't be guaranteed, of course, but at least let us enjoy our football. We've seen the atmosphere stripped away, the matchday experience gone, the pubs closed and even the joy of a goal dissipate thanks to VAR.

For us to abandon all attacking intent as well, when we have two of the most thrilling forwards the club has seen at our disposal, and instead focus on loading the team with aging defenders tasked solely with grinding out another year of monotonous purgatory is just too much.

Perhaps I'm being unrealistic and I apologise if people do think it's a lack of gratitude for what Parish and Roy have done for the club but, ultimately, football is entertainment and we're being starved of it at the moment.

Edited by Canterbury Palace (27 Apr 2021 3.59pm)

 


We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Davepalace707's Profile Davepalace707 Flag Northumberland 27 Apr 21 4.13pm Send a Private Message to Davepalace707 Add Davepalace707 as a friend

Originally posted by Canterbury Palace


You're absolutely right, most fanbases moan equally about managerial decisions. I'd wager that, with the possible exceptions of City, Liverpool and Leeds, every group does it in the Premier League. That is the nature of being a fan I suppose but also defines these forums.

However, I also think it's perfectly natural for fans to demand more. We haven't won a major honour or competed in European competition in our history (No, I don't count the Zenith or Intertoto) so I don't think we are being greedy or entitled by doing so.

Nobody is asking for a top 6 finish but we've come within minutes of winning the FA Cup recently and even Burnley have played in the Europa League, so I can't accept that it's beyond our reach as a club.

Those things can't be guaranteed, of course, but at least let us enjoy our football. We've seen the atmosphere stripped away, the matchday experience gone, the pubs closed and even the joy of a goal dissipate thanks to VAR.

For us to abandon all attacking intent as well, when we have two of the most thrilling forwards the club has seen at our disposal, and instead focus on loading the team with aging defenders tasked solely with grinding out another year of monotonous purgatory is just too much.

Perhaps I'm being unrealistic and I apologise if people do think it's a lack of gratitude for what Parish and Roy have done for the club but, ultimately, football is entertainment and we're being starved of it at the moment.

Edited by Canterbury Palace (27 Apr 2021 3.59pm)

Spot on as was your earlier post.

 


“You miss 100 per cent of the shots you don’t take”

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View alexdyoung87's Profile alexdyoung87 Online Flag Yorkshire 27 Apr 21 6.04pm Send a Private Message to alexdyoung87 Add alexdyoung87 as a friend

Ralph Rangnick is the way to go. Success at Leipzig, experiences with a modern approach.

For those that are not aware of him, read up.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 27 Apr 21 6.19pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by alexdyoung87

Ralph Rangnick is the way to go. Success at Leipzig, experiences with a modern approach.

For those that are not aware of him, read up.

Sounds good but the old saying 'you can't polish a turd' comes to mind. If we had a genuinely young, hungry squad a progressive manager could do wonders. Ours are hungry for a Werthers Original with slippers on feet watching The Repair Shop, or repeats of The Antiques Roadshow. They are not hungry for a new Tactical approach, fitness regime and Training ground changes.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 27 Apr 21 7.52pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

I find this and thought it interesting.

The author has assigned a value to each club's league position from the last 60 years (when league 3 and 4 were formed).

He then calculates the average for each club to show roughly what type of club they are.

Palace has a value of 30 which indicates that over 60 years we are a mid table Championship club assuming the bottom club in the Pl is 20.

the good news is we are above Brighton, Charlton and Millwall.

Anyway I just thought I would share it with you. great for looking up rivals or clubs you have an affinity with. 3 years out of date but I doubt much has changed.

[Link]

Edited by Badger11 (27 Apr 2021 7.53pm)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Canterbury Palace's Profile Canterbury Palace Flag Whitstable 27 Apr 21 8.35pm Send a Private Message to Canterbury Palace Add Canterbury Palace as a friend

Originally posted by Davepalace707

Spot on as was your earlier post.


Cheers Dave.

 


We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View orpingtoneagle's Profile orpingtoneagle Online Flag Orpington 27 Apr 21 9.09pm Send a Private Message to orpingtoneagle Add orpingtoneagle as a friend

I hear we are retaking Roy and all out of contract players as the club have accepted the offer of being founder members of the breakaway Walking Football league. Where due to the age of participants the game is played at walking pace. We have arranged our first pre season friendly against the top Irish team Craggy Island Clergy.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 382 of 385 < 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > roy out