You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > James McArthur
November 30 2020 4.41am

James McArthur

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last »

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 19 Oct 20 5.01pm Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

It's games like yesterday that expose him, we may have been outnumbered in midfield but we were definitely overrun, and he was invisible. Looks OK on the ball, doesn't do anything conspicuously bad but has lost some pace and much of his attacking threat (which was considerable a couple of seasons back). We need an upgrade, bcos our midfielders tend to be defensive - we have stodgy paceless midfielders and airy-fairy attackers, and the stodge has great trouble delivering the ball to the twinkle-toed ones upfront - a better link between defence and attack has long been required, someone who can put their foot in AND add a bit of creativity either through passing or dribbling, a poor man's Colin Bell, maybe two of them, or a midfield general who MCarthy can look after. McArthur's been a great servant, he still gives all he can, but yesterday he was a passenger, and it's not the first time, he's never conspicuously poor but he is too often invisible or ineffective these days - we need a replacement similar to the Jimmy Mac who arrived, he belongs in Scotland or the Championship now imho.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Uphill's Profile Uphill Flag Bedford 19 Oct 20 5.06pm Send a Private Message to Uphill Add Uphill as a friend

Why pick on him ?

After yesterday I could go through the team and pick on each of their shortcomings !

He is a great tryer (which is all the manager admires) but lacks attacking skills.

I'd concentrate on Wilf - ineffective, disinterested and going through the motions.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 19 Oct 20 8.08pm Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

The reason I'm 'picking' on him, is bcos we need Jimmy Mac, Jairo and Luca but we don't need McArthur or Meyer any more - we need an attacking midfielder, we only have Schlupp who can't play deep in the middle, Eze needs to be wide or in an advanced position - he doesn't pick the ball up deep in midfield, we need someone in there who can turn defence into attack, pass or move forwards effectively not sideways, supply the forwards quicker and better than we do atm. Everton have got Allan and Doucoure in, they protect the back four but they help to set up attacks like Jairo did yesterday, it's why we basically play 7-0-3 rather than 4-2-1-3. One of the commentators described McArthur as a 'ratter' - a spoiler if you like, but we're struggling partly bcos our midfield has too many ratters and not enough players, there's always more flair the further up the pitch you go, but virtually all our flair is in the final third and we need a bit more in the middle to make our supply less predictable, and McArthur cannot be described as unpredictable. I think he's a symptom of a bigger problem with Roy's approach.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Ginger Pubic Wig's Profile Ginger Pubic Wig Flag Wickham de L'Ouest 19 Oct 20 9.07pm Send a Private Message to Ginger Pubic Wig Add Ginger Pubic Wig as a friend

I would like to see Meyer next to Riedewald. Meyer is capable of so much more in the right set up.

One day, when he's competing in a Champions League semi, or at a World Cup we'll think...oh yeah, we had a player there. It was always obvious he might be.

Madness I tell you. Madness.

We are not seeing what could so obviously be with a modicum of faith and perseverance.

I understand the sentiment for saying McArthur is a problem, but it's a team game. If he looks up amd sees Wilf and Bats buzzing about looking for a pass, he'd find them.

The reality is they were abject, which doesn't help him. Which means we are overrun.

It's nonetheless true that his consistent 7/10 has perhaps slipped to 6.5/10.

 


If you want to live in a world full of kindness, respect and love, try to show these qualities.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EddieMac's Profile EddieMac Flag 19 Oct 20 9.56pm Send a Private Message to EddieMac Add EddieMac as a friend

Originally posted by Ginger Pubic Wig

I would like to see Meyer next to Riedewald. Meyer is capable of so much more in the right set up.

One day, when he's competing in a Champions League semi, or at a World Cup we'll think...oh yeah, we had a player there. It was always obvious he might be.

Madness I tell you. Madness.

We are not seeing what could so obviously be with a modicum of faith and perseverance.

I understand the sentiment for saying McArthur is a problem, but it's a team game. If he looks up amd sees Wilf and Bats buzzing about looking for a pass, he'd find them.

The reality is they were abject, which doesn't help him. Which means we are overrun.

It's nonetheless true that his consistent 7/10 has perhaps slipped to 6.5/10.

I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for that to happen. He will leave Palace when his contract runs out and disappear into the abyss. His career fizzled out well before it’s time.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Sutton Coldfield 19 Oct 20 10.19pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Uphill

Why pick on him ?

After yesterday I could go through the team and pick on each of their shortcomings !

He is a great tryer (which is all the manager admires) but lacks attacking skills.

I'd concentrate on Wilf - ineffective, disinterested and going through the motions.


I'm not sure Ex Hib is picking on him. You are right that you could go through (most of) the team on Sunday's performance, (although I'd exclude Jairo and Schlupp who both tried to play some football). However, MacArthur's performances have IMO become less effective over the last year and I reckon he's in terminal decline. It's a shame because he does always try - that's the nature of the lad and the reason he's so popular with us fans, but for me his day is rapidly passing and I wouldn't have in my first choice XI.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sprites's Profile sprites Online Flag Auckland 20 Oct 20 5.29am Send a Private Message to sprites Add sprites as a friend

Absolute warrior for us. Fine to replace him if we have better options...but right now we don't. Be careful what you wish for...

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 20 Oct 20 6.44am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by ex hibitionist

We need an upgrade, bcos our midfielders tend to be defensive - we have stodgy paceless midfielders and airy-fairy attackers, and the stodge has great trouble delivering the ball to the twinkle-toed ones upfront - a better link between defence and attack has long been required, someone who can put their foot in AND add a bit of creativity either through passing or dribbling,

Someone like Conor Gallagher you mean

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 20 Oct 20 7.29am Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by sprites

Absolute warrior for us. Fine to replace him if we have better options...but right now we don't. Be careful what you wish for...

Wise words.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View jeeagles's Profile jeeagles Flag 20 Oct 20 8.55am Send a Private Message to jeeagles Add jeeagles as a friend

I wouldn't say the OP is picking on him. More pointing out that he plays in a system where he is hung out to dry.

Always puts in a huge amount of effort but the poor guy is 33.

He's no longer got the fitness or ability to play in a midfield two, particuarly one that's constantly under pressure.

Would like to see us revert to 3 in midfield, but not 3 holding midfielders (unless we are playing the linkes of Liverpool). Reidewald/McCarthy and/or Luka/McArthur with either Meyer/Eze. Rotate on form and who we are playing. Put Zaha back on the wing.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 20 Oct 20 9.01am Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

Someone like Conor Gallagher you mean

spot on, and I'm not knocking McArthur as such, but as one poster said he can't play in a midfield pair any more, ain't got the legs and ends up chasing the game

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 20 Oct 20 9.13am Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by Midlands Eagle

Someone like Conor Gallagher you mean

Maybe Roy just didn’t rate him! ( where have we heard that before)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last »

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > James McArthur