You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Croydon council files for bankruptcy
December 2 2020 6.49am

Croydon council files for bankruptcy

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 9 of 12 < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

 

View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 13 Nov 20 12.04pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Painter

I also failed to see, how any crime rate is relevant to the council going bust. Crime is related to the Government budget not the council.

And a certain type of person who sees nothing wrong in what they do.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 13 Nov 20 12.06pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by SW19 CPFC

That policy will not change, no matter who is in charge, because of the housebuilding targets that have been set by the government.

Which were lauded at the time I think.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View jeeagles's Profile jeeagles Flag 13 Nov 20 1.45pm Send a Private Message to jeeagles Add jeeagles as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman
Their main focus was allowing dwellings of multiple flats anywhere possible. Everything else was there to be obstructed. Heads should roll, but of course wonít. Probably get a bonus at some point.

Like taking away prime office space in the town centre and permitting s***ty flats to be built.

I get the idea, more flats, more council tax. But in Croydon's case its, more flats, more DSS, a greater burden on services and less income.

The people councils really want to attract is young professionals with money to spend and no kids or health problems. Unfortunately, Croydon's just not fashionable enough and we are getting the dregs of people pushed out from "gentrified" areas, whilst the type of people they want are moving away.

Would be better to build bigger dwellings for families and people with greater income, it must be decades since a half decent housing estate has been built anywhere in Croydon (Shirley Oaks possibly). They aren't quite the young professional gold mine councils want, but a pretty safe bet. To do this, they'll probably need to sort out the transport links to places like Shirley, Selsdon, Sanderstead etc.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SW19 CPFC's Profile SW19 CPFC Flag Addiscombe West 13 Nov 20 2.20pm Send a Private Message to SW19 CPFC Add SW19 CPFC as a friend

Originally posted by jeeagles

Like taking away prime office space in the town centre and permitting s***ty flats to be built.

I get the idea, more flats, more council tax. But in Croydon's case its, more flats, more DSS, a greater burden on services and less income.

The people councils really want to attract is young professionals with money to spend and no kids or health problems. Unfortunately, Croydon's just not fashionable enough and we are getting the dregs of people pushed out from "gentrified" areas, whilst the type of people they want are moving away.

Would be better to build bigger dwellings for families and people with greater income, it must be decades since a half decent housing estate has been built anywhere in Croydon (Shirley Oaks possibly). They aren't quite the young professional gold mine councils want, but a pretty safe bet. To do this, they'll probably need to sort out the transport links to places like Shirley, Selsdon, Sanderstead etc.

This is not entirely true, at least not for the city centre. Croydon is starting to get a larger share of the YP market, not less. Balham, Streatham and Brixton used to be exactly as you've described but now has ridiculous house prices and large pockets of young professionals.

More and more of these people are being priced out of those places and are moving either here, Kent (screw that) or areas of East London that are yet to be hackneyed.

I am exactly that demographic, albeit the older end of the 'young professional spectrum' Ė there are plenty of family houses in south croydon Ė building family housing in central doesn't make any sense to me.

 


said the rabid giraffe whilst brandishing his throbbing member of reason, and twas ever thus.

Did you know? 95% of people are morons.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SW19 CPFC's Profile SW19 CPFC Flag Addiscombe West 13 Nov 20 2.23pm Send a Private Message to SW19 CPFC Add SW19 CPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

Well it was their downfall with the Westfield deal that Westfield are probably relieved they didnít commit to now. This is the problem with local councils. Itís all one thing or another. Always was. Far too officious and obstinate. If people can walk away they probably will. Itís those who canít that go through pain and stress with them.

To be clear on that though Ė the deal is not dead. The originally proposed plan however, is. The current 'plan' is to reuse as much as possible and turn into a 60/30/10 of Residential, entertainment and retail. Wheras before it was more like 30/30/40. That won't fly anymore. Anywhere.

 


said the rabid giraffe whilst brandishing his throbbing member of reason, and twas ever thus.

Did you know? 95% of people are morons.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View jeeagles's Profile jeeagles Flag 13 Nov 20 4.22pm Send a Private Message to jeeagles Add jeeagles as a friend

Originally posted by SW19 CPFC

This is not entirely true, at least not for the city centre. Croydon is starting to get a larger share of the YP market, not less. Balham, Streatham and Brixton used to be exactly as you've described but now has ridiculous house prices and large pockets of young professionals.

More and more of these people are being priced out of those places and are moving either here, Kent (screw that) or areas of East London that are yet to be hackneyed.

I am exactly that demographic, albeit the older end of the 'young professional spectrum' Ė there are plenty of family houses in south croydon Ė building family housing in central doesn't make any sense to me.

What I meant was build more family houses on the outskirt of the town. I'm guessing you probably live in a converted house or small to medium size block of flats in south croydon, rather than the huge high rises they are building in the town centre?

Whilst there are a lot of family homes, these less family homes on the market and more and more 1 and 2 bedroom flats being built. There doesn't seem to be anywhere for the people wishing to move out of those flats available to move in too when they end up settling down, whilst there's an oversupply of flats in the town centre.

South Croydon and Purley are quite nice places for YP's. Decent transport links and good gyms and pubs near by. The town centre is just barron.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View SW19 CPFC's Profile SW19 CPFC Flag Addiscombe West 13 Nov 20 6.39pm Send a Private Message to SW19 CPFC Add SW19 CPFC as a friend

Originally posted by jeeagles

What I meant was build more family houses on the outskirt of the town. I'm guessing you probably live in a converted house or small to medium size block of flats in south croydon, rather than the huge high rises they are building in the town centre?

Whilst there are a lot of family homes, these less family homes on the market and more and more 1 and 2 bedroom flats being built. There doesn't seem to be anywhere for the people wishing to move out of those flats available to move in too when they end up settling down, whilst there's an oversupply of flats in the town centre.

South Croydon and Purley are quite nice places for YP's. Decent transport links and good gyms and pubs near by. The town centre is just barron.

Mmmm

Iím not sure thatís true. There are plenty of family houses for sale in the south Croydon area, Crystal Palace, Norwood etc.

No I do not live in a high rise but live near to them - 3 bed terraced semi. YPs will move close to transport such as EC and to a lesser extent south Croydon - hence why the flatbuilding makes sense there, and why most of it is concentrated in that area.

 


said the rabid giraffe whilst brandishing his throbbing member of reason, and twas ever thus.

Did you know? 95% of people are morons.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Painter's Profile Painter Flag Croydon 13 Nov 20 6.51pm Send a Private Message to Painter Add Painter as a friend

Originally posted by jeeagles

What I meant was build more family houses on the outskirt of the town. I'm guessing you probably live in a converted house or small to medium size block of flats in south croydon, rather than the huge high rises they are building in the town centre?

Whilst there are a lot of family homes, these less family homes on the market and more and more 1 and 2 bedroom flats being built. There doesn't seem to be anywhere for the people wishing to move out of those flats available to move in too when they end up settling down, whilst there's an oversupply of flats in the town centre.

South Croydon and Purley are quite nice places for YP's. Decent transport links and good gyms and pubs near by. The town centre is just barron.

Anyone with any sense, wouldnt go into Croydon Town centre is a mess. It started going downhill years ago, when out of town shopping was encouraged along the Purley Way with free parking. Parking in Croydon is prohibitive about double the cost of Brom;ey, which is a fairly nice shopping centre anchored by The Glades.
There are flats in Shirley, Sanderstead, Purley and Selsdon, but they arent cheap as they are nice places to live.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dannyboy1978's Profile dannyboy1978 Flag 13 Nov 20 8.31pm Send a Private Message to dannyboy1978 Add dannyboy1978 as a friend

Only in Croydon lol
[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 13 Nov 20 8.54pm Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

As a Local Government Lifer the biggest mess that's come about in recent years is the offer of cheap money from the Public Works Loan's Board to "invest" in property with the aim of making local authorities self funding.

Plays to every Chief Exec's and tinpot politician's weakness.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 13 Nov 20 9.25pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

If Croydon council need to save money I have a suggestion. They should combine their back office with other councils.

I helped multi national corporations do this back in the 1990's consolidate their back offices across Europe into one central one.

The work is the same whether you are Bromley or Croydon council. The workers no longer have to be in the high street in some big shiny expensive office.

I won't hold my breath though.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag 14 Nov 20 4.47am Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Originally posted by SW19 CPFC

Not going after anything, just stating a fact

No weíre not but if youíre being selective with stats be prepared for comparisons to give context. And in this case South Kensington had 1230 to 1136. Itís London generally.

As terrible as your experiences are, theyíre extreme - youíd be hard pushed to claim it as the average for every resident - also, if you live near to council estates or concentrated areas of impoverishment anywhere in London, what do you expect?

Some parts of west Croydon are undoubtably terrible, but there are areas equal to or worse than across London. Just because of that, does it mean the entirety of Croydon is the same? No. Itís a massive borough. I think you mean central and west Croydon. And even then, specific parts of it.


I take it when you say South Ken you mean RBKC?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 9 of 12 < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Croydon council files for bankruptcy