You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Ron Noades
May 10 2021 10.01pm

Ron Noades

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View thegreatlardino's Profile thegreatlardino Flag crawley/selsey 23 Jan 21 6.26pm Send a Private Message to thegreatlardino Add thegreatlardino as a friend

nearly crashed into this motor in clifton road as he pulled out in front of me

 


Thatís why tonight Iím sitting on top of Lord Herefordís Knob

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Painter's Profile Painter Flag Croydon 23 Jan 21 7.29pm Send a Private Message to Painter Add Painter as a friend

Noades was a businessman and whatever is thought about him over the Goldberg and ground deal, he rescued the club after Boyle had raped the heart out of team of the 80s. Boyle then went on to sell the land to Sainsburys, making a nice profit for himself before he left.
Noades was responsible for finding a lot of the players from the lower leagues, that took us to the FA Cup final for the first time in our history, a memory I will never forget.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 23 Jan 21 8.26pm Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by kevlee

He loved the club so much he destroyed it to line his own pockets. Agreed it took an idiot like Mark Goldberg to help him do it. Mark's problem was that he was a Palace fan with stars in his eyes and not enough money to own a football club. Noades used his retained ownership of the ground as a pawn in his pursuit of personal gain. It took years of pain to get over the damage hes did to the club.
Too many rose tinted glasses being worn I'm afraid. The only thing Ron was interested in was himself.

Rotten Vegetables played a part too.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 23 Jan 21 10.28pm Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

He was undoubtedly shrewd and with Coppell he identified a degree educated man whose top flight career was cut short and had the hunger and intelligence to succeed.

That said I found very little to like about Noades from the personal wealth he accrued during his ownership of the club to his part in the dismantling of the 1991 team and his sale of the club and ongoing ownership of the ground.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglehamster's Profile Eaglehamster Flag Storrington 23 Jan 21 10.38pm Send a Private Message to Eaglehamster Add Eaglehamster as a friend

Originally posted by Tom-the-eagle

Say whatever you like about Noades,but he was chairman during our most successful ever spell.

That said, his wife was apparently a whor@.


She was Welsh, a great laugh and gorgeous. I met her just once. I wish more women were like her.

 


My dad made me a Palace fan. Never forgiven him.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View crystal-purley's Profile crystal-purley Flag Purley 23 Jan 21 10.57pm Send a Private Message to crystal-purley Add crystal-purley as a friend

Originally posted by Painter

Noades was a businessman and whatever is thought about him over the Goldberg and ground deal, he rescued the club after Boyle had raped the heart out of team of the 80s. Boyle then went on to sell the land to Sainsburys, making a nice profit for himself before he left.
Noades was responsible for finding a lot of the players from the lower leagues, that took us to the FA Cup final for the first time in our history, a memory I will never forget.

Allegedly there were a number of high charges made for simple repairs etc made by his building company. Having said that, yes he did bring in a fair number of very decent players very cheaply but were these "overcharges" offset by the Geoff Thomases etc

 


Just retired but haven't learned to garden yet

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 23 Jan 21 11.22pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Two personal memories. True stories, on my children's lives.

Firstly, my Dad and I are outside Selhurst in the queue for FA cup final tickets in 1990. We've been there at least an hour when all of a sudden Noades emerges from the main stand, and begins stalking along towards the club shop. A hush falls over the place, broken by my Dad shouting 'You going to buy us a player with this money then Ron?'.

I expected either a platitude or for Dad's plea to be ignored, but quick as a flash Noades snaps back with 'There's nothing wrong with the eleven who play!' and goes on his way!

Secondly, fast forward five years or so and I'm doing an A-level in graphic design. The subject of my coursework is Selhurst Park (of course). Alan Smith is the manager now and has made a pledge in the Croydon Advertiser to reply personally to any letter he receives from a fan. Sensing an opportunity I write in, asking him to provide a foreword to my project. I am hoping for some small utterance about the importance of a stadium to the team, but to my surprise I receive a call from the club inviting me to the offices to interview Alan.

I borrow a dicta phone from my Mums work (she was a secretary at Mayday hospital), pluck up my courage and set off.

Upon arrival at the office portacabins between the main stand and the (then under construction) Holmesdale stand I am allowed upstairs into the inner sanctum. Smith is charm personified, answering questions from this spotty oik as if I work for The Times. In the background I am increasingly aware of someone stalking about in a bit of a huff. It's Ron.

As my shambolic interview with Smith concludes and I am on my way out, Noades is dictating a letter to some unknown unfortunate, the content of which I shall never forget.

At this point I should explain to younger fans that when the old holmesdale terrace was demolished to be replaced by the current stand, it was necessary to erect a two or three metre high hoarding between the pitch and the building site.

Noades dictates the following to a long suffering secretary who is trailing behind him with pad and pencil as he marches up and down the offices:

'Dear X,
You may remember my previous observation that by painting the Holmesdale hoarding in a shade of red that matches exactly the shade found in the kit our team play in, you may have inadvertently made it harder for our players to pick each other out in the cut and thrust of a game.

You may also recall that I asked you to alter the hoarding in light of my concerns.

Imagine my surprise today then to discover that you have changed the hoarding by adding sections in EXACTLY THE SHADE OF BLUE FOUND IN OUR KIT, THEREBY MAKING THE f***ING PROBLEM f***ING WORSE!!!'

Noades secretary interjects with' I presume you don't actually want me to use the word f***ing in the letter?'.

'YES I f***ING DO!' Says Ron!

I presume a deal was done as the red and blue hoarding stayed in place!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 24 Jan 21 10.49am Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Ron was quite a divisive figure.

I remember going to a supporters meeting when he first took over. He introduced his Board members he brought with him, all looked like South London spivs and chancers. Ron invited questions from the floor and then got shirty with one individual that was accused of being a journalist. Ron claimed there was no money to be made out of owning a football club, I asked him that if that was the case, why did he own two ? ( he was still at Wimbledon at the time ). - I got the ice cold Uncle Ron stare and was told I didn't know what I was talking about !

On the other hand, I met him on a number of occasions a few years later and was always impressed with his knowledge of the game in general and players in particular.And he made a point of answering supporters letters.

Ultimately, although there were many good things he did for the club, It's the bad things that I can't forget because they were really, really bad.

Appointing Mullery...what on earth made him think that could work ??!!

His dealings with Goldberg and Jordan. Nearly had dire consequences for the club as we all know.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Online Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 24 Jan 21 11.18am Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by NEILLO

Ron was quite a divisive figure.

I remember going to a supporters meeting when he first took over. He introduced his Board members he brought with him, all looked like South London spivs and chancers. Ron invited questions from the floor and then got shirty with one individual that was accused of being a journalist. Ron claimed there was no money to be made out of owning a football club, I asked him that if that was the case, why did he own two ? ( he was still at Wimbledon at the time ). - I got the ice cold Uncle Ron stare and was told I didn't know what I was talking about !

On the other hand, I met him on a number of occasions a few years later and was always impressed with his knowledge of the game in general and players in particular.And he made a point of answering supporters letters.

Ultimately, although there were many good things he did for the club, It's the bad things that I can't forget because they were really, really bad.

Appointing Mullery...what on earth made him think that could work ??!!

His dealings with Goldberg and Jordan. Nearly had dire consequences for the club as we all know.

I can vouch for that having a number of conversations with him about the game in general and a whole range of players.He possessed an FA coaching badge and was a qualified referee.Very knowledgeable gentleman indeed.

Edited by Willo (24 Jan 2021 11.21am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 24 Jan 21 11.19am Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

Two personal memories. True stories, on my children's lives.

Firstly, my Dad and I are outside Selhurst in the queue for FA cup final tickets in 1990. We've been there at least an hour when all of a sudden Noades emerges from the main stand, and begins stalking along towards the club shop. A hush falls over the place, broken by my Dad shouting 'You going to buy us a player with this money then Ron?'.

I expected either a platitude or for Dad's plea to be ignored, but quick as a flash Noades snaps back with 'There's nothing wrong with the eleven who play!' and goes on his way!

Secondly, fast forward five years or so and I'm doing an A-level in graphic design. The subject of my coursework is Selhurst Park (of course). Alan Smith is the manager now and has made a pledge in the Croydon Advertiser to reply personally to any letter he receives from a fan. Sensing an opportunity I write in, asking him to provide a foreword to my project. I am hoping for some small utterance about the importance of a stadium to the team, but to my surprise I receive a call from the club inviting me to the offices to interview Alan.

I borrow a dicta phone from my Mums work (she was a secretary at Mayday hospital), pluck up my courage and set off.

Upon arrival at the office portacabins between the main stand and the (then under construction) Holmesdale stand I am allowed upstairs into the inner sanctum. Smith is charm personified, answering questions from this spotty oik as if I work for The Times. In the background I am increasingly aware of someone stalking about in a bit of a huff. It's Ron.

As my shambolic interview with Smith concludes and I am on my way out, Noades is dictating a letter to some unknown unfortunate, the content of which I shall never forget.

At this point I should explain to younger fans that when the old holmesdale terrace was demolished to be replaced by the current stand, it was necessary to erect a two or three metre high hoarding between the pitch and the building site.

Noades dictates the following to a long suffering secretary who is trailing behind him with pad and pencil as he marches up and down the offices:

'Dear X,
You may remember my previous observation that by painting the Holmesdale hoarding in a shade of red that matches exactly the shade found in the kit our team play in, you may have inadvertently made it harder for our players to pick each other out in the cut and thrust of a game.

You may also recall that I asked you to alter the hoarding in light of my concerns.

Imagine my surprise today then to discover that you have changed the hoarding by adding sections in EXACTLY THE SHADE OF BLUE FOUND IN OUR KIT, THEREBY MAKING THE f***ING PROBLEM f***ING WORSE!!!'

Noades secretary interjects with' I presume you don't actually want me to use the word f***ing in the letter?'.

'YES I f***ING DO!' Says Ron!

I presume a deal was done as the red and blue hoarding stayed in place!

Technically blue was better as our kits were more and mostly red, but good stories.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 24 Jan 21 11.25am Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

Technically blue was better as our kits were more and mostly red, but good stories.

Sorry, what I meant was that the previously red hoarding had blue sections added to it, making it exactly like the kit.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Elwissthebest's Profile Elwissthebest Flag Marlborough 25 Jan 21 2.45pm Send a Private Message to Elwissthebest Add Elwissthebest as a friend

Ghastly individual. He once told me that supporters who paid to watch the team had no right to an opinion. Only Corporate sponsors, not the proles who came through the turnstiles, had a right to a view. All that is unattractive about capitalism personified in one man.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Ron Noades