You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Bewildered
December 3 2021 10.43pm

Bewildered

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

 

View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 01 Mar 21 12.03pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by Ian-VI

It is the exact opposite.
Defending and destroying opposition play is MUCH easier and less phisical demanding than attacking and building your own play.
An Italian Serie A manager some time ago told me, attacking wins you matches, defending wins you trophies.

Edited by Ian-VI (01 Mar 2021 11.50am)

You wonít win anything if your sole intention is a 0-0 outcome. We all remember the George Graham, Jose Mourinho and as we are seeing Roy Hodgson style of football from the past and it is has become outmoded. Knick a goal and park the bus has been the Italian way for years, but itís no longer the way successful teams play football.

I suppose you are suggesting as those who continue to support Hodgson that it is the only style of football we can ever play, whereas I see that style as the only way Hodgson knows how to play.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View si_1967's Profile si_1967 Flag Surrey 01 Mar 21 12.05pm Send a Private Message to si_1967 Add si_1967 as a friend

Originally posted by Goal Machine

I've always respected Roy's interviews as he tells it straight, but he's had a few shockers recently, including yesterday.

I know we have injuries, but we were dire. Zero shots at home against a team in the relegation zone is unacceptable. Perhaps it would have been different with a crowd to urge them forward. The only positive was the result which was totally undeserved.

If they performed like that in front of a full stadium, they would have been booed off.

I like Roy and on the whole he has been terrific, but things are starting to sour. We've done enough to survive this season, but I can't imagine he'll be offered a new contract.


However, the form table over the last 8 games has them in 11th two places above us and only 1 defeat!
But, I don't disagree with all of what you've said above.

 


... what

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View since1953's Profile since1953 Flag Maidenhead 01 Mar 21 12.10pm Send a Private Message to since1953 Add since1953 as a friend

Looking at the playing personnel available to us at the moment I think we are the weakest team in the whole of the prem. Until we get a full squad back (or most of it) we shall have to adopt the Dunkirk spirit because there is no way we shall be able to adopt an adventurous style of play without getting slaughtered.
I have been a supporter since 1953 (but can only remember matches from the late 50s) and have seen many ups and downs, and would say that Roy is playing a blinder with the hand he has been dealt with. Bodies are being put on the line and he recognises this, and if he compliments the performances then we should be realistic in our criticism of his achievement.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 01 Mar 21 12.34pm Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

Yes, relying on the opposition not taking their chances as opposed to creating and scoring yourself is not really a sound football strategy. The most we could have scored in that match was nil. In fact our most dangerous moment was from their defender, ďpassingĒ it back to the goalkeeper.

good point - v Leeds and Burnley both scored early so essentially it was game over after 5 minutes.

Also regarding injuries , i'm not having it. Yes Zaha is clearly a loss but of the others who is a nailed on regular?
Tomkins when fully fit.
Possibly Jeff and Jimmy Mac, but if anyone thinks we will be more creative with these 2 you are deluded. They are the hard working types Roy loves.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Gary St.Andrews's Profile Gary St.Andrews Flag Kenley 01 Mar 21 1.09pm Send a Private Message to Gary St.Andrews Add Gary St.Andrews as a friend

Originally posted by palace99

good point - v Leeds and Burnley both scored early so essentially it was game over after 5 minutes.

Also regarding injuries , i'm not having it. Yes Zaha is clearly a loss but of the others who is a nailed on regular?
Tomkins when fully fit.
Possibly Jeff and Jimmy Mac, but if anyone thinks we will be more creative with these 2 you are deluded. They are the hard working types Roy loves.

Itís having the pick of players and having options from the bench. We donít have that at the moment.

So Tomkins, Schlupp, Jimmy Mac, Zaha, Kelly , Sakho. All these players would feature in the first 11 or from the bench, thatís a fact.

And you donít think there is a problem, you named 4 yourself and one of them is our top scorer. Whoís deluded?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 01 Mar 21 1.16pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by Gary St.Andrews

Itís having the pick of players and having options from the bench. We donít have that at the moment.

So Tomkins, Schlupp, Jimmy Mac, Zaha, Kelly , Sakho. All these players would feature in the first 11 or from the bench, thatís a fact.

And you donít think there is a problem, you named 4 yourself and one of them is our top scorer. Whoís deluded?

Kelly has been fit for weeks but never made it onto the pitch, not quite sure why as he has always done a good job. Sakho will probably never play for us again.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PZ Eagle's Profile PZ Eagle Flag Penzance 01 Mar 21 1.20pm Send a Private Message to PZ Eagle Add PZ Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by palace99

good point - v Leeds and Burnley both scored early so essentially it was game over after 5 minutes.

Also regarding injuries , i'm not having it. Yes Zaha is clearly a loss but of the others who is a nailed on regular?
Tomkins when fully fit.
Possibly Jeff and Jimmy Mac, but if anyone thinks we willy are the hard working types Roy loves.

Newcastle scored first so why wasn't that game over as soon as they scored? We won that one remember?

Injuries have been horrendous this season and don't tell me that it hasn't made any difference. Ask any Manager if they would prefer a settled team rather than having to make changes all the time. If you think they don't make a difference look at Liverpool, they lost VvD to a season ending injury and haven't been the same since.

 


Conjunctivitis.com - A site for sore eyes.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Willo's Profile Willo Flag South coast - west of Brighton. 01 Mar 21 1.26pm Send a Private Message to Willo Add Willo as a friend

Originally posted by PZ Eagle

Newcastle scored first so why wasn't that game over as soon as they scored? We won that one remember?

Injuries have been horrendous this season and don't tell me that it hasn't made any difference. Ask any Manager if they would prefer a settled team rather than having to make changes all the time. If you think they don't make a difference look at Liverpool, they lost VvD to a season ending injury and haven't been the same since.

We have the worst record in the PL this season with 161 games missed by players through injury and illness.By contrast, the total for Fulham is 46 games.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View rollercoaster's Profile rollercoaster Flag Cornwall 01 Mar 21 1.30pm Send a Private Message to rollercoaster Add rollercoaster as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

You wonít win anything if your sole intention is a 0-0 outcome. We all remember the George Graham, Jose Mourinho and as we are seeing Roy Hodgson style of football from the past and it is has become outmoded. Knick a goal and park the bus has been the Italian way for years, but itís no longer the way successful teams play football.

I suppose you are suggesting as those who continue to support Hodgson that it is the only style of football we can ever play, whereas I see that style as the only way Hodgson knows how to play.

Of course we shouldn't play like that too often but in the circumstances, the team we put out on the pitch did ok and a getting a point and denying Fulham 3 points was very important in staying in the division.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace BANANA's Profile Palace BANANA Flag Heathfield East Sussex 01 Mar 21 1.34pm Send a Private Message to Palace BANANA Add Palace BANANA as a friend

Originally posted by Gary St.Andrews

Itís having the pick of players and having options from the bench. We donít have that at the moment.

So Tomkins, Schlupp, Jimmy Mac, Zaha, Kelly , Sakho. All these players would feature in the first 11 or from the bench, thatís a fact.

And you donít think there is a problem, you named 4 yourself and one of them is our top scorer. Whoís deluded?

Even if we did have a full squad and a full bench Roy isn't particularly good with substitutions.. even when it's clear players are knackered and need to be substituted he only usually brings on fresh legs with minutes to spare, if at all, which rarely, if ever, makes a difference.. and as Eaglecoops said, Kelly has been fit for weeks, on the bench and a good defender on his day, why hasn't he been brought on to help our negative/defensive tactics when we've been up against it and give a rest to one of our players..

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Booted Eagle's Profile Booted Eagle Flag Bristol 01 Mar 21 1.43pm Send a Private Message to Booted Eagle Add Booted Eagle as a friend


Are we including the Wickham/Ferguson factor of +76 in the equation ?

Edited by Booted Eagle (01 Mar 2021 1.44pm)

 


ď [T]here are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.There are known unknowns; that is to say there are things that, we now know we don't know.But there are also unknown unknowns Ė there are things we do not know we don't know. Ē
óUnited States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 01 Mar 21 1.46pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by rollercoaster

Of course we shouldn't play like that too often but in the circumstances, the team we put out on the pitch did ok and a getting a point and denying Fulham 3 points was very important in staying in the division.

I canít argue with that, it was a very tough watch though.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Bewildered