You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Nice One Wilf
April 13 2021 5.11am

Nice One Wilf

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 2 ę First< 1 2

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Flag Midhurst 15 Mar 21 2.12pm Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

Originally posted by Palace Old Geezer

Well said BTP. This nonsense surely has now gone far enough. You're right to identify Phillips as a voice of reason. Seems to me like a common sense kind of guy.

But, now we've got Haringey Council spending £186k to rename Black Boy Lane on their turf despite the residents being quite happy with it. Named after King Charles 11 and been there 300 years. Nonsense. Black is merely a colour - it's not racist.

There's a Black Swan and a Black Horse pub near me. One of them 400 years old. Good too. Hope they don't feel obliged to rename them.

My local is the White Horse. Is that alright?

Sorry, nothing to do with Wolf, who I've supported on his stand in other threads, but the same issue I feel.


Or even Wilf! Bloody pre-emptive text!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag People's Republic of Gozo 15 Mar 21 6.21pm Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

Maybe Wilf noticed that people seem to be getting far more upset about kneeling than they were about racism and thought 'What's the point?'

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Flag Midhurst 15 Mar 21 7.28pm Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

Almost certainly Wilf could sense there was a growing unrest about the way that kneeling was losing it's impact.

His lonely 'stand tall' approach must have been difficult for him, but it sure did make a statement.

 


Dad and I would watch games on the muddy slope of the Holmesdale Road end, probably at the same time as Roy.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Vaibow's Profile Vaibow Flag vancouver/croydon 15 Mar 21 7.45pm Send a Private Message to Vaibow Add Vaibow as a friend

Originally posted by scarlet

Great to see a Palace player leading the way. All lives matter. If he was white he couldn't do it without severe repercussion and that shows you how broken the idea is. This will probably be killed by the pcers but hey. ???

He didn't do it to specifically say all lives matter....

he did it to say that talk is cheap... getting on a knee is the most some people do, which isn't enough... actions speak louder than words.

 


This was once a quality forum....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Crazy_Eagle's Profile Crazy_Eagle Flag South London 16 Mar 21 6.13pm Send a Private Message to Crazy_Eagle Add Crazy_Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by scarlet

Great to see a Palace player leading the way. All lives matter. If he was white he couldn't do it without severe repercussion and that shows you how broken the idea is. This will probably be killed by the pcers but hey. ???

I very, very much doubt Zaha was thinking 'All Lives Matters' in his head.

Good for Zaha on standing up (literally), although I wonder what he would think to see comments like this. The whole All Lives Matter response completely misses the point of why players are taking the knee.

 


R.I.P. DJ Hardline

CPFC2010

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CT Charlie's Profile CT Charlie Flag 17 Mar 21 3.23pm Send a Private Message to CT Charlie Add CT Charlie as a friend

Isn't the BLM movement simply a way of trying to cast a light on the fact that it's more difficult for Blacks (and others) to make their way through life than Whites? That racism is real? And that these things shouldn't be so?

In my opinion, social justice is about ensuring that not only the laws of a society but that the PEOPLE of a society follow the Golden Rule in both action and attitude. Whenever I have the opportunity to engage a critic of BLM, I simply ask them this: Would you prefer to have been born black or white? Why? Until their answer is, "In this culture/country, it really makes no difference whatsoever," I think we ought to keep working, individually and collectively, to effect change.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 17 Mar 21 4.44pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by CT Charlie

Isn't the BLM movement simply a way of trying to cast a light on the fact that it's more difficult for Blacks (and others) to make their way through life than Whites? That racism is real? And that these things shouldn't be so?

In my opinion, social justice is about ensuring that not only the laws of a society but that the PEOPLE of a society follow the Golden Rule in both action and attitude. Whenever I have the opportunity to engage a critic of BLM, I simply ask them this: Would you prefer to have been born black or white? Why? Until their answer is, "In this culture/country, it really makes no difference whatsoever," I think we ought to keep working, individually and collectively, to effect change.

Well, my answer to your question would be ĎI have seen no evidence that in this culture/country, oneís race makes a significant difference whatsoever to ones life chances, despite having read BLMs website on more than one occasioní.

I would then ask you (and it would be a sincere, genuine question) to show me evidence of societal racism in action. Where is the network or pattern across our social institutions or cultures? I would press you for something systemic, corporate, common or widespread, rather than instances or examples of racism, however awful they may be. My criticism of BLM is that they appear unable to make that distinction. My criticism of the BBC et al is that they refuse to even acknowledge how vital it is to do so. A society that has some racists in it is not the same as a racist society, and the solution depends very much on an accurate prognosis of the problem.

To return to Wilf, he has experienced nasty, s***ty social media trolls. I haven't heard him speak of anything beyond that.

Against which you have the evidence of the Zahaís, a black African family who came to the UK and got access to work, housing, education, health, and a safe, structured and secure society in which they did better than they would have done in the Ivory Coast. It wasnít easy for them (Wilf has spoken about being evicted as a kid), but itís not easy for most of us.

Weigh up Wilfís negative (racist) experiences against the positives. Where is the argument that his life is materially harder than any person receiving threats or abuse on line, of whom there are thousands all the time?

I would certainly listen to what you had to tell me, because I canít find anything of substance in BLM to consider. I would also ask you to understand that the notion of Britain as a racist society is at odds with my own experience, and frankly a bit offensive to me as one part of that society.

I am a white working class male from a traditional background, who likes football, the pub, and all the usual stuff, but who also went to Uni, and got a career in a relatively intellectual profession where I have worked at managerial level for a long time. My work affects places and people directly and indirectly. As a working class lad with a middle class life I have a foot in both of the camps where one might look to find racism, and all I can say is that if it pervades then Iíve missed the memo. I might also ask when it became OK to accuse a society of being racist to the point that change must be made without proving it?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 17 Mar 21 5.04pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

Well, my answer to your question would be ĎI have seen no evidence that in this culture/country, oneís race makes a significant difference whatsoever to ones life chances, despite having read BLMs website on more than one occasioní.

I would then ask you (and it would be a sincere, genuine question) to show me evidence of societal racism in action. Where is the network or pattern across our social institutions or cultures? I would press you for something systemic, corporate, common or widespread, rather than instances or examples of racism, however awful they may be. My criticism of BLM is that they appear unable to make that distinction. My criticism of the BBC et al is that they refuse to even acknowledge how vital it is to do so. A society that has some racists in it is not the same as a racist society, and the solution depends very much on an accurate prognosis of the problem.

To return to Wilf, he has experienced nasty, s***ty social media trolls. I haven't heard him speak of anything beyond that.

Against which you have the evidence of the Zahaís, a black African family who came to the UK and got access to work, housing, education, health, and a safe, structured and secure society in which they did better than they would have done in the Ivory Coast. It wasnít easy for them (Wilf has spoken about being evicted as a kid), but itís not easy for most of us.

Weigh up Wilfís negative (racist) experiences against the positives. Where is the argument that his life is materially harder than any person receiving threats or abuse on line, of whom there are thousands all the time?

I would certainly listen to what you had to tell me, because I canít find anything of substance in BLM to consider. I would also ask you to understand that the notion of Britain as a racist society is at odds with my own experience, and frankly a bit offensive to me as one part of that society.

I am a white working class male from a traditional background, who likes football, the pub, and all the usual stuff, but who also went to Uni, and got a career in a relatively intellectual profession where I have worked at managerial level for a long time. My work affects places and people directly and indirectly. As a working class lad with a middle class life I have a foot in both of the camps where one might look to find racism, and all I can say is that if it pervades then Iíve missed the memo. I might also ask when it became OK to accuse a society of being racist to the point that change must be made without proving it?

Well said. Personally Iím sick to death of being told Iím fundamentally racist because I donít actively support my accusers. Itís the most ridiculous argument Iíve ever heard.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Davepalace707's Profile Davepalace707 Flag Northumberland 17 Mar 21 6.04pm Send a Private Message to Davepalace707 Add Davepalace707 as a friend

Yep. 100pc

 


ďYou miss 100 per cent of the shots you donít takeĒ

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 18 Mar 21 7.06am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

Personally Iím sick to death of being told Iím fundamentally racist because I donít actively support my accusers. Itís the most ridiculous argument Iíve ever heard.

Indeed. I wonder how long it will be before we are told that people who didn't support the illegal Sarah Everard vigil are all rapists

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 18 Mar 21 7.49am Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by JRW2

I don't know whether that was meant to be patronising but it clearly looks like it. But I'm about to go down the same path. I only got round to viewing Roy post-WBA last night and I was really struck by how fluently he speaks. He embarks on lengthy sentences and you wonder where they're leading, but he reaches the end with everything nicely tied up. What he has to say is sensible, interesting, wise and balanced. And I've never heard a manager (or player!) throw in some Latin (sine qua non).

Our manager is no fool, shame too many fans only see what they want to see.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 18 Mar 21 8.00am Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

Well, my answer to your question would be ĎI have seen no evidence that in this culture/country, oneís race makes a significant difference whatsoever to ones life chances, despite having read BLMs website on more than one occasioní.

I would then ask you (and it would be a sincere, genuine question) to show me evidence of societal racism in action. Where is the network or pattern across our social institutions or cultures? I would press you for something systemic, corporate, common or widespread, rather than instances or examples of racism, however awful they may be. My criticism of BLM is that they appear unable to make that distinction. My criticism of the BBC et al is that they refuse to even acknowledge how vital it is to do so. A society that has some racists in it is not the same as a racist society, and the solution depends very much on an accurate prognosis of the problem.

To return to Wilf, he has experienced nasty, s***ty social media trolls. I haven't heard him speak of anything beyond that.

Against which you have the evidence of the Zahaís, a black African family who came to the UK and got access to work, housing, education, health, and a safe, structured and secure society in which they did better than they would have done in the Ivory Coast. It wasnít easy for them (Wilf has spoken about being evicted as a kid), but itís not easy for most of us.

Weigh up Wilfís negative (racist) experiences against the positives. Where is the argument that his life is materially harder than any person receiving threats or abuse on line, of whom there are thousands all the time?

I would certainly listen to what you had to tell me, because I canít find anything of substance in BLM to consider. I would also ask you to understand that the notion of Britain as a racist society is at odds with my own experience, and frankly a bit offensive to me as one part of that society.

I am a white working class male from a traditional background, who likes football, the pub, and all the usual stuff, but who also went to Uni, and got a career in a relatively intellectual profession where I have worked at managerial level for a long time. My work affects places and people directly and indirectly. As a working class lad with a middle class life I have a foot in both of the camps where one might look to find racism, and all I can say is that if it pervades then Iíve missed the memo. I might also ask when it became OK to accuse a society of being racist to the point that change must be made without proving it?

Nice post, time is the healer and we haven't had anywhere near enough of it yet, meanwhile as a country we continue with attempting to show to way.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 2 ę First< 1 2

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Nice One Wilf