You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Wales to Trial Universal Basic Income
July 30 2021 2.34pm

Wales to Trial Universal Basic Income

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last »

 

View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 15 May 21 3.41pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

As far as I am aware this has been trialled in a number of countries and so far has either been a failure or the results have been inconclusive.

[Link]

It will be interesting to see what exactly it is and how it works.

The idea is that as people get it automatically and it is not dependent on benefits they can focus on taking a job rather than worrying about will I lose my benefits.

Rather than this I would prefer to see a more flexible unemployment benefit. At the moment if you are offered a short term contract you have to sign off and sign back on so most people don't bother.

I would have no problem in allowing people to continue to claim benefits whilst taking a short term job e.g. 6 weeks. How exactly that would work I'm not sure but it does seem that the current system works against it.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 15 May 21 4.10pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

we should bring back :

a) soup kitchens

b) dormitory accommodation

c) compulsory work schemes

d) drink & drugs testing

.....for the Longterm unemployed.

seriously.

Instead of them living in a nice house in unemployment black-spots while Londoners work their ass off to afford a little home and travel to work in a sardine can twice a day.

the longterm unemployed are a blight on taxpayers. Its like you are trying to cycle your bike up Anerley Hill and a fecker is towing behind you on a skateboard. A look of righteous indignation on their face as they try to nick your wallet.

Londoners spend mid-morning doing the paperwork for their employment....not still in bed and knocking off one while suffering a hangover.

To pay a modest sum to EVERYBODY is actually fairer. But it will inflate house prices, rent & grocery bills.

Edited by PalazioVecchio (15 May 2021 4.31pm)

 


from the Etihad, Emirates, Molyneux, London Stadium, the Vitality, turf moor & Anfield to Old Trafford x 2.....or a neighbourly visit to Craven Cottage...Raptors on the Road

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Online Flag Croydon 15 May 21 4.21pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

As far as I am aware this has been trialled in a number of countries and so far has either been a failure or the results have been inconclusive.

[Link]

It will be interesting to see what exactly it is and how it works.

The idea is that as people get it automatically and it is not dependent on benefits they can focus on taking a job rather than worrying about will I lose my benefits.

Rather than this I would prefer to see a more flexible unemployment benefit. At the moment if you are offered a short term contract you have to sign off and sign back on so most people don't bother.

I would have no problem in allowing people to continue to claim benefits whilst taking a short term job e.g. 6 weeks. How exactly that would work I'm not sure but it does seem that the current system works against it.

I can see pandemics for years ahead and this sort of thing being an absolute necessity.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 15 May 21 7.36pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

I can see pandemics for years ahead and this sort of thing being an absolute necessity.

Sure the idea is rather than use a stick and make people work this is the carrot that is supposed to free them up from the tyranny of the job centre and rowing with the officials. Unfortunately when they have tried this elswhere the the unemployed don't bother to get a job.

That's why I would prefer some flexibility around claiming and working so if you are long term unemployed and someone offers you a months work say you can take it and not sign off or something like that.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 15 May 21 11.20pm Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

I think it's an idea worth exploring in a trial. At least it doesn't have 'screwed over' written all over it, which pretty much sums up the impact of most other government policies.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 16 May 21 4.24pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

I wouldn't be too happy about paying tax to let Welsh people drink.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 16 May 21 4.47pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

I've always thought it to be a reasonably sound idea. £x,000 a year for everyone. Full stop. If you want to work, or secure a pension for later life so as to have a higher income, so be it. If you don't, so be it too, but you'll get nothing further from the state or from your local authority.

This would save a fortune in administering and paying state benefits and pensions and would eliminate benefit fraud in one stroke.

The problem, of course, is that the left would still continue to whinge about "inequality" ie the inequality between those who want to better themselves and those who don't or can't.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View jeeagles's Profile jeeagles Flag 16 May 21 8.00pm Send a Private Message to jeeagles Add jeeagles as a friend

This is an idea I like.

I've got a lot of friends and family in the South Wales Valley's. Beautiful place but it's pretty desperate in terms of employment.

If a lot of people know they can afford to travel or move for jobs, then they'd have more opportunities. They'd also be able to get better quality opportunities to help build a decent career.

Would also hopefully cut down on beaurcracy so council workers in benefits offices can be reallocated elsewhere.

Could help with cutting down on petty crime too, which blights shops in smaller towns.

Great place to start a trial.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View W12's Profile W12 Flag 22 May 21 5.57pm Send a Private Message to W12 Add W12 as a friend

Do you think there will not be “conditions” for UBI?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 22 May 21 6.09pm Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by W12

Do you think there will not be “conditions” for UBI?

I think the real question is will UBI work? If it doesn't then it wont address the underlying problems.

So far the results in other places have been less than impressive, in Finland they cancelled the trial. Now if you believe giving people money for nothing in return is a good idea then you will disagree.

If however you believe that people should work and be helped to work cutting down on all the BS at the job centre is a more effective use of public money.

As I said in a previous post one of the barriers for long term unemployed is if they are offered a short term contract they wont take it because they are scared that when that it is over they will not be allowed back on the same benefits or it is simply too much grief. For me finding a solution to that issue is a more effective use of public money rather than trusting that people on UBI will also look for a job.

Edited by Badger11 (22 May 2021 6.10pm)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View W12's Profile W12 Flag 22 May 21 6.16pm Send a Private Message to W12 Add W12 as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

I think the real question is will UBI work? If it doesn't then it wont address the underlying problems.

So far the results in other places have been less than impressive, in Finland they cancelled the trial. Now if you believe giving people money for nothing in return is a good idea then you will disagree.

If however you believe that people should work and be helped to work cutting down on all the BS at the job centre is a more effective use of public money.

As I said in a previous post one of the barriers for long term unemployed is if they are offered a short term contract they wont take it because they are scared that when that it is over they will not be allowed back on the same benefits or it is simply too much grief. For me finding a solution to that issue is a more effective use of public money rather than trusting that people on UBI will also look for a job.

Edited by Badger11 (22 May 2021 6.10pm)

How could paying someone to produce nothing possibly work in economic terms alone?

That’s leaving aside the utter nihilism of this idea.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View OldFella's Profile OldFella Flag London 22 May 21 6.24pm Send a Private Message to OldFella Add OldFella as a friend

Originally posted by jeeagles

This is an idea I like.

I've got a lot of friends and family in the South Wales Valley's. Beautiful place but it's pretty desperate in terms of employment.

If a lot of people know they can afford to travel or move for jobs, then they'd have more opportunities. They'd also be able to get better quality opportunities to help build a decent career.

Would also hopefully cut down on beaurcracy so council workers in benefits offices can be reallocated elsewhere.

Could help with cutting down on petty crime too, which blights shops in smaller towns.

Great place to start a trial.

You lost me to uncontrollable laughter at this point

 


Jackson.. Wan Bissaka.... Sansom.. Nicholas.. Cannon.. Cahill.... Zaha... Thomas.. Byrne... Holton.. Rogers.. that should do it..

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last »

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Wales to Trial Universal Basic Income