You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Does anyone want to manage Palace?
June 23 2021 10.18am

Does anyone want to manage Palace?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 3 « First< 1 2 3

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Midlands Eagle's Profile Midlands Eagle Flag 10 Jun 21 8.05am Send a Private Message to Midlands Eagle Add Midlands Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Goal Machine

I have a feeling it will end up being Dougie - perhaps the timing of the documentary release was part of his plan B all along.

I very much doubt whether Parish had any control over the timing of the release of the documentary as that would have been completely down to Amazon

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cROYdonrogers's Profile cROYdonrogers Flag Leamington Spa 10 Jun 21 8.08am Send a Private Message to cROYdonrogers Add cROYdonrogers as a friend

I think the Nuno breakdown had a lot to do with Mendes. No doubt there was a fee. Not sure having Mendes sniffing around all the time would have been healthy.
Fair play to SP if he’s made a call for good reasons.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View KAOS's Profile KAOS Flag In a tree 10 Jun 21 9.44am Send a Private Message to KAOS Add KAOS as a friend

The future of our club is really about the next 12 months and just staying in this league. I trust SP's judgement in not rolling over to Nuno's demands which sound like they would have put the club at financial risk. As a club, we're not in a position to upset the applecart yet with everything we've done in the background and in recent years. If people don't know what that is, watch the documentary to remind themselves of our journey thus far.

Yes we need a new manager but they will be financially constrained as Roy was. Perhaps, not as much as Roy but constrained nonetheless which is why Nuno isn't the man for us. If the next manager doesn't work and we have to part terms, at least we won't be held to ransom financially by any crazy compensation / release terms ... and you can bet your bottom dollar, Nuno and his backroom staff would have cost an arm and a leg.

So great we were linked Nuno and his team but even better that SP & co walked away with confidence. It's our club not the Nuno show ...

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 10 Jun 21 1.52pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by KAOS

The future of our club is really about the next 12 months and just staying in this league. I trust SP's judgement in not rolling over to Nuno's demands which sound like they would have put the club at financial risk. As a club, we're not in a position to upset the applecart yet with everything we've done in the background and in recent years. If people don't know what that is, watch the documentary to remind themselves of our journey thus far.

Yes we need a new manager but they will be financially constrained as Roy was. Perhaps, not as much as Roy but constrained nonetheless which is why Nuno isn't the man for us. If the next manager doesn't work and we have to part terms, at least we won't be held to ransom financially by any crazy compensation / release terms ... and you can bet your bottom dollar, Nuno and his backroom staff would have cost an arm and a leg.

So great we were linked Nuno and his team but even better that SP & co walked away with confidence. It's our club not the Nuno show ...

Spot on KAOS. We're Palace - South London and Proud - not a club to be used to further the Nuno and entourage show with Mendes manipulating the puppet strings.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View nead1's Profile nead1 Flag 10 Jun 21 2.56pm Send a Private Message to nead1 Add nead1 as a friend

I completely agree; the only thing that surprises me is how far events seemed to move before the issue of his backroom set up appears to have come out. You would have thought that Freedman and Parish would have been entirely clear around the existing coaches in place right from the start and not wanting an expensive overhaul.
Maybe, as others have commented, he was not entirely straightforward to deal with and just made these demands in the full knowledge that Palace would baulk at them.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Elphers40's Profile Elphers40 Flag Northants 10 Jun 21 4.21pm Send a Private Message to Elphers40 Add Elphers40 as a friend

I think we are an attractive proposition for any manager and Nono’s interest demonstrates that. I 100% back SP and Dougie’s Judgement to pull out of the Nuno deal. I was excited by the prospect- but not at the cost of our principles of loyalty to current staff who have done a good job. We move forward to the next.

Whilst I think the compensation clauses of some managers has prompted SP and Dougie to look at out of work Managers more favourably I believe they’ll get it right in the end.

SP isn’t perfect - but I’m happy to trust him to judge who is the right fit for the job. (He’s got a pretty good track record tbf).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View monkey's Profile monkey Flag 10 Jun 21 4.25pm Send a Private Message to monkey Add monkey as a friend

Originally posted by pax3908


It just seems to me we try and do things on the cheap,squeeze the maximum from the candidate,which puts them of coming,instead of just agreeing,l know we would like the best,but we don't half seem to haggle,doesn't seem to happen so much with other clubs?

other clubs are not run by someone who rescued the club from oblivion and are trying their best not to let it happen again. I understand the frustration, because I know it gets boring the ‘he saved the club’ line, but he has to balance the books and make sure the mercenaries of the modern game don’t take the piss out of us.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 10 Jun 21 4.52pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Elphers40

I think we are an attractive proposition for any manager and Nono’s interest demonstrates that. I 100% back SP and Dougie’s Judgement to pull out of the Nuno deal. I was excited by the prospect- but not at the cost of our principles of loyalty to current staff who have done a good job. We move forward to the next.

Whilst I think the compensation clauses of some managers has prompted SP and Dougie to look at out of work Managers more favourably I believe they’ll get it right in the end.

SP isn’t perfect - but I’m happy to trust him to judge who is the right fit for the job. (He’s got a pretty good track record tbf).

For all the good track record, we have also managed to fall out and burn bridges too.

 


I used to put the manager's name in front of Red and Blue but got fed up with changing it. If someone cool becomes our manager then maybe..

Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View steeleye20's Profile steeleye20 Flag Croydon 10 Jun 21 4.52pm Send a Private Message to steeleye20 Add steeleye20 as a friend

You would have to have a very tough hide to manage at all.

And the top managers seem to be on a carousel where they can depart for somewhere else when they want to.

If sacked they can be off to europe no worries, start after a two-week holiday.

Really they can call the tune now, and you can't blame them.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CT Charlie's Profile CT Charlie Flag 10 Jun 21 6.44pm Send a Private Message to CT Charlie Add CT Charlie as a friend

I suspect it's a Catch-22: those who would want the job, in general, are not the ones we'd want to hire.

All of us – fans, players, owners – want someone with Premier League experience and success, but anyone with those qualifications would be wary of managing a team with aging players, an incomplete roster, and stingy owners.

Plenty of lower-league managers in England and elsewhere, would LOVE the opportunity and might succeed, but they don't meet our criteria of being wise in the ways of PL football.

Edited by CT Charlie (10 Jun 2021 7.27pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View martin2412's Profile martin2412 Flag The Big Wide World 10 Jun 21 7.54pm Send a Private Message to martin2412 Add martin2412 as a friend

Originally posted by steeleye20

You would have to have a very tough hide to manage at all.

And the top managers seem to be on a carousel where they can depart for somewhere else when they want to.

If sacked they can be off to europe no worries, start after a two-week holiday.

Really they can call the tune now, and you can't blame them.

Football management must be one of the only professions that rewards failure.

They can sign a 3 year contract, be absolutely pony, get sacked after a year and then get their contract paid up.

It makes sense to do a bad job, get 3 years money in one year, then move on to the next victim.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 3 « First< 1 2 3

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Does anyone want to manage Palace?