You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Au revoir Sakho
September 17 2021 4.59am

Au revoir Sakho

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Mojo87's Profile Mojo87 Flag 27 Jul 21 7.23pm Send a Private Message to Mojo87 Add Mojo87 as a friend

Originally posted by tonymikejoe

He was very good when Big Sam brought him in on loan for half a season.
We put huge pressure on CPFC and Parish to buy him and "show some ambition."
However, that 28m transfer fee simply walking out the door must have Steve choking on his champagne.
Another reminder: Don't buy players off Liverpool FC.

Liverpool been fleecing too many clubs with their fringe players for inflated prices.

Sakho was an expensive consequence but on his day, particularly during his loan period, he was impressive.
After that he became a donkey when playing and a broken mule when not

But all the best Sakho!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 27 Jul 21 7.45pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by CT Charlie

You speak the truth.

Decades of being a teacher and coach incline me to modify the aphorism to Lesson taught. Time will tell whether it's a lesson learned. Here's hoping...

Well spoked that man. There's none so blind as those that won't see. Hopefully Palace will see that signing players from bigger clubs is more fraught with risk than its worth.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 27 Jul 21 8.03pm Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

Soldier.

Seriously, whilst the value has been questionable I think we may have gone down in 17/18 or 18/19 without him. Our best performances during those two seasons were generally with him in the team alongside Tomkins.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ambrose7's Profile ambrose7 Flag Croydon 27 Jul 21 8.53pm Send a Private Message to ambrose7 Add ambrose7 as a friend

Originally posted by Rachid Rachid Rachid

Soldier.

Seriously, whilst the value has been questionable I think we may have gone down in 17/18 or 18/19 without him. Our best performances during those two seasons were generally with him in the team alongside Tomkins.

Him and Tomkins were close to the best CB partnership outside the top 6 at the point of him signing.

He was only frustrating because he was actually good. Same as the anger when Bruce and Freedman left their manager roles - it was only because they were actually good at what they were doing that people were fussed. The injuries wiped him out and he was an absolute shadow of himself in the few games he played last year.

 


26th January 2010 - Enter Administration
2nd May 2010 - D-Day 1 - Survival at Hillsborough
1st June 2010 - D-Day 2 - Survival at Lloyds
7th June 2010 - CPFC2010 exchange contracts.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View aashman12's Profile aashman12 Flag 28 Jul 21 7.54am Send a Private Message to aashman12 Add aashman12 as a friend

Originally posted by ambrose7

Like many players who play a lot of football in their teens, he's burned out by his early 30s. Add Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Micah Richards & Cesc Fabregas to that list. Hopefully Clyne, Moses & Zaha don't go that way. James Milner a rare exception.

I can't see this being good business for Montpellier, but good luck to them.

Theres no way he is burnt out with the amount of games he's played over his career. He averages a very low games per season.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 28 Jul 21 9.22am Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by ambrose7

Him and Tomkins were close to the best CB partnership outside the top 6 at the point of him signing.

He was only frustrating because he was actually good. Same as the anger when Bruce and Freedman left their manager roles - it was only because they were actually good at what they were doing that people were fussed. The injuries wiped him out and he was an absolute shadow of himself in the few games he played last year.

He was good, but not great, and even at his best wasn't worth the money. I felt that Tomkins outperformed him for almost a third of the cost.

Sakho is the emperors new clothes. If you didn't know about his cv, price tag, wages, the club we were buying him from etc and just watched him play you could be forgiven for believing someone who told you he was a much loved but slightly comical and error prone club stalwart that had been with us for years, was effective on his day but wouldn't be a top class player in a million years.

A big, clumsy lump who was good at getting in the way but who spread panic every time he tried to step outside of those basics.

Edited by TheBigToePunt (28 Jul 2021 9.24am)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View kennybrowns leftfoot's Profile kennybrowns leftfoot Flag Reigate 28 Jul 21 10.06am Send a Private Message to kennybrowns leftfoot Add kennybrowns leftfoot as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

He was good, but not great, and even at his best wasn't worth the money. I felt that Tomkins outperformed him for almost a third of the cost.

Sakho is the emperors new clothes. If you didn't know about his cv, price tag, wages, the club we were buying him from etc and just watched him play you could be forgiven for believing someone who told you he was a much loved but slightly comical and error prone club stalwart that had been with us for years, was effective on his day but wouldn't be a top class player in a million years.

A big, clumsy lump who was good at getting in the way but who spread panic every time he tried to step outside of those basics.

Edited by TheBigToePunt (28 Jul 2021 9.24am)

I'd agree with this. Sakho showed flashes of the World class talent that he had, especially during his loan spell.... But that's all they were just flashes.
Personally I always felt there were big question marks over his commitment and rightly or wrongly I always wondered just how 'injured' he actually was half the time.

 


Don't waste your time with jealousy. Sometimes your ahead, sometimes your behind, the race is long. But in the end it's only with yourself!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View NEILLO's Profile NEILLO Flag Shoreham-by-Sea 28 Jul 21 10.20am Send a Private Message to NEILLO Add NEILLO as a friend

Originally posted by kennybrowns leftfoot

I'd agree with this. Sakho showed flashes of the World class talent that he had, especially during his loan spell.... But that's all they were just flashes.
Personally I always felt there were big question marks over his commitment and rightly or wrongly I always wondered just how 'injured' he actually was half the time.

I know what you mean. There were a few occasions when Roy stated that Sakho had declared himself unfit and it appeared that Roy wasn't convinced.

Ultimately he was a prime example of what a minefield the transfer market is.

After the loan period performances, signing him permanently looked to be almost a ' no brainer '. Instead he became an expensive financial drain that couldn't be relied upon.

 


Old, Ungifted and White

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View nead1's Profile nead1 Flag 28 Jul 21 11.34am Send a Private Message to nead1 Add nead1 as a friend

The end for him was that dreadful performance away to Chelsea last year; responsible for 3 of the goals if I remember correctly.
As others have said, he did not seem by nature someone Roy would ever have signed had he been there at the time - far too erratic, unreliable and his commitment could always be questioned.
Just shows how difficult it is to judge the transfer mkt and how costly errors can be; everyone is always wiser in hindsight!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 28 Jul 21 12.01pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by nead1

The end for him was that dreadful performance away to Chelsea last year; responsible for 3 of the goals if I remember correctly.
As others have said, he did not seem by nature someone Roy would ever have signed had he been there at the time - far too erratic, unreliable and his commitment could always be questioned.
Just shows how difficult it is to judge the transfer mkt and how costly errors can be; everyone is always wiser in hindsight!

For me the big lesson from the Sakho, Cabeye, Benteke, Milivojevic, Van Aanholt period was just how hard it is to sign an upgrade on a limited but committed player. Those five had more ability (and better careers) than Delaney, Ledley, Murray, Jedinak etc, but few of them needed to bust a gut for Palace in order to get the rewards a top player gets, and (crucially)as a group none of them needed to drag Palace to a significantly higher level in order to be considered good, valuable top flight players. They had little to prove and it showed.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rachid Rachid Rachid's Profile Rachid Rachid Rachid Flag 28 Jul 21 10.34pm Send a Private Message to Rachid Rachid Rachid Add Rachid Rachid Rachid as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

He was good, but not great, and even at his best wasn't worth the money. I felt that Tomkins outperformed him for almost a third of the cost.

Sakho is the emperors new clothes. If you didn't know about his cv, price tag, wages, the club we were buying him from etc and just watched him play you could be forgiven for believing someone who told you he was a much loved but slightly comical and error prone club stalwart that had been with us for years, was effective on his day but wouldn't be a top class player in a million years.

A big, clumsy lump who was good at getting in the way but who spread panic every time he tried to step outside of those basics.

Edited by TheBigToePunt (28 Jul 2021 9.24am)

I respect your opinion and I think those who think he was a bit flaky are also right. But when we signed him around deadline day in 2017 we we in a horrible mess with centre back options of Tomkins, Delaney, Dann and Kelly. Dann was already creaking then and Kelly has only really looked a player under Roys tutelage. Wed have gone through the trap door IMO.

I think hes been better than you suggest particularly at turning defence into attack but in the last two years has lost his discipline and fitness. He and Tomkins were magnificent the day we turned City over 3-2 at the Etihad.


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Gary St.Andrews's Profile Gary St.Andrews Flag Kenley 29 Jul 21 12.27am Send a Private Message to Gary St.Andrews Add Gary St.Andrews as a friend

This news has pleased me more than any signing. What more can be said about him that hasnt already been said?


 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Au revoir Sakho