You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > Messi - Greed
November 28 2021 2.36pm

Messi - Greed

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 5 of 5 << First< 1 2 3 4 5

 

View rikz's Profile rikz Flag Croydon 26 Nov 21 1.51pm Send a Private Message to rikz Add rikz as a friend

Originally posted by dreamwaverider

Letís be honest. The only reason they both play on is money. They are both way past their best.

But still both better than 99% of players our there.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 26 Nov 21 2.25pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by rikz

Still not a fair comparison to someone who has actually proven themselves in the league, the prem has never been technically the best but has always been the most intense, teams across Europe like bayern, psg, Madrid and barca can rest their squad just for games in Europe, prem teams can't, if Chelsea just turnt up at Norwich they would get beat, in previous years barca and Madrid would win most league games without comming out of 2nd gear.

Messi is the greatest no 10 of all time but I don't see how you can call him a better footballer than Ronaldo, who has more attributes and you'll never see him just walking around looking lost on a pitch. 2 games that stand out are the 2 champions league games against roma and Liverpool, no leadership at all from messi. Ronaldo would do a job anywhere on the pitch, messi would get completely embarrassed playing CB.

Sure, but it makes the idea that Messi would 'flop' in the Prem a nonsense, which is what I was responding to.

The centre-back comment is bizarre - I don't care who would be a better centre half. Mateta would be a better centre half than Eze.. I know who's a better footballer.


I think people's summaries of Ronaldo are really removed from reality - he is not remotely a complete footballer and never has been particularly. It feels like just because he's over 6ft people have decided that means 'complete'. He's an end-product player and arguably the best goal scorer of all time. His assist record has never been impressive, poor from set pieces, and his dribbling has been poor for years.

You can argue Ronaldo is a better goalscorer than Messi (I don't agree). Messi is better at nearly everything else (except maybe playing centre half).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View rikz's Profile rikz Flag Croydon 26 Nov 21 3.59pm Send a Private Message to rikz Add rikz as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

Sure, but it makes the idea that Messi would 'flop' in the Prem a nonsense, which is what I was responding to.

The centre-back comment is bizarre - I don't care who would be a better centre half. Mateta would be a better centre half than Eze.. I know who's a better footballer.


I think people's summaries of Ronaldo are really removed from reality - he is not remotely a complete footballer and never has been particularly. It feels like just because he's over 6ft people have decided that means 'complete'. He's an end-product player and arguably the best goal scorer of all time. His assist record has never been impressive, poor from set pieces, and his dribbling has been poor for years.

You can argue Ronaldo is a better goalscorer than Messi (I don't agree). Messi is better at nearly everything else (except maybe playing centre half).

And that's where most others go wrong they think being a better footballer means being better at dribbling, it's only really the last 7 years that Ronaldo has adapted to a number 9, could messi adapt to a 9, definitely not and I used cb as half of football is defence. Ronaldo would do a job anywhere on the pitch. Messi couldn't. That's why he is a better footballer.

Plus they've both been part of great teams but Messi most successful seasons have been alongside xavi, inesta and later surez all three are better than any player Ronaldo has played with.

Edited by rikz (26 Nov 2021 4.05pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 26 Nov 21 4.48pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by rikz

And that's where most others go wrong they think being a better footballer means being better at dribbling, it's only really the last 7 years that Ronaldo has adapted to a number 9, could messi adapt to a 9, definitely not and I used cb as half of football is defence. Ronaldo would do a job anywhere on the pitch. Messi couldn't. That's why he is a better footballer.

Plus they've both been part of great teams but Messi most successful seasons have been alongside xavi, inesta and later surez all three are better than any player Ronaldo has played with.

Edited by rikz (26 Nov 2021 4.05pm)

Just fundamentally disagree - I'd struggle to name anything Ronaldo definitively does better than Messi other than heading.

Judging their defensive abilities is genuinely worthless - they're not employed to defend, I couldn't care less who might hypothetically be better at something they don't need to do.

I think your last paragraph is a huge stretch - they've both played with the best of the best.. that Madrid team was the most successful in history.. Kroos, Modric, Ramos, Benzema.. he was hardly starved of quality.

Messi scored 42 goals and got 17 assists in the 20/21 season when Barca were very poor.

Edited by EverybodyDannsNow (26 Nov 2021 4.50pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View rikz's Profile rikz Flag Croydon 26 Nov 21 6.37pm Send a Private Message to rikz Add rikz as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

Just fundamentally disagree - I'd struggle to name anything Ronaldo definitively does better than Messi other than heading.

Judging their defensive abilities is genuinely worthless - they're not employed to defend, I couldn't care less who might hypothetically be better at something they don't need to do.

I think your last paragraph is a huge stretch - they've both played with the best of the best.. that Madrid team was the most successful in history.. Kroos, Modric, Ramos, Benzema.. he was hardly starved of quality.

Messi scored 42 goals and got 17 assists in the 20/21 season when Barca were very poor.

Edited by EverybodyDannsNow (26 Nov 2021 4.50pm)

How many goals has Messi scored with his weaker foot ? Let's be honest they're both so far in front of any other player and there's such little between the 2 it comes down to personal preference, you could argue all night.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 5 of 5 << First< 1 2 3 4 5

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > Messi - Greed