You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Back from yesterday's game
October 23 2021 9.56am

Back from yesterday's game

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last >>

 

View DANGERCLOSE's Profile DANGERCLOSE Flag london 22 Aug 21 5.23pm Send a Private Message to DANGERCLOSE Add DANGERCLOSE as a friend

Early day's but here goes

Partnership between Andersen and Guehi looks decent

Mitch needs to do better

Ward not quick enough

Gallaher and McArthur were both excellent

Kouyate poor performance

Schlupp looked lost at times

Zaha poor performance

Big Ben needs to make runs, a bit too static

Bench, no real options

My take on things so far

We need Eze and Olise back as we lack attacking options, if mitch gets injured we don't have a replacement. We played a lot better than last week and was a bit more exciting than last season. It will take time but I personally think we will be ok.

Transfer market.

We need ST,LB,Maybe a winger but I would like JRS given opportunities. We need better options on the bench for sure, I know Tompkins can do a job but do we need another?

 


[Link]

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Swindy's Profile Swindy Flag Bromley 22 Aug 21 8.09pm Send a Private Message to Swindy Add Swindy as a friend

Agree with the vast majority of your points but feel we missed a trick as better performances from Zaha (too much hiding when the pass was on) & Benteke was the difference between winning and only drawing.
However, it is a worry that we have a goalkeeper who now wants to keep punching catchable balls and the short passing across the six yard box at goal kicks I hope is not persisted with - it didn't work too well for Arsenal at times last season !

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Kant's Profile Kant Flag exeter 22 Aug 21 8.39pm Send a Private Message to Kant Add Kant as a friend

Canít really agree with this assessment, even though Iím ready to accept that Iím probably in the minority.

If Wilf had been making his debut for us yesterday weíd be lauding him. Familiarity clearly breeding contempt.

I thought Mitchell was fine given his level of experience. Yes, he wasnít faultless, but Jimmy Mac aside I canít think of anyone who didnít make a mistake or two; including the newbies. Shame his honeymoon period with the critics is over. The others should enjoy it while it lasts.

And Schlupp didnít look Ďlostí to me. He enjoyed some effective forays on the wings, interchanging with Wilf, and was his normal direct self. I didnít think Ayew improved things.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sprites's Profile sprites Flag Auckland 23 Aug 21 6.09am Send a Private Message to sprites Add sprites as a friend

Originally posted by Kant

Canít really agree with this assessment, even though Iím ready to accept that Iím probably in the minority.

If Wilf had been making his debut for us yesterday weíd be lauding him. Familiarity clearly breeding contempt.

I thought Mitchell was fine given his level of experience. Yes, he wasnít faultless, but Jimmy Mac aside I canít think of anyone who didnít make a mistake or two; including the newbies. Shame his honeymoon period with the critics is over. The others should enjoy it while it lasts.

And Schlupp didnít look Ďlostí to me. He enjoyed some effective forays on the wings, interchanging with Wilf, and was his normal direct self. I didnít think Ayew improved things.

Wow, you're right so funny how differently people can see things. Disagree with most of your points and agree pretty much entirely with the OP.

Wilf was terrible. If he was on debut, I'd be saying get rid. Mitchell was woeful. He's not the answer at LB for us. Schlupp looked like no one knows what his best position is...which is probably true.

I'd also add that Gallagher was immense. Him and Macca/Luka sitting behind Eze whets the appetite.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View leejaneagles's Profile leejaneagles Flag 23 Aug 21 9.22am Send a Private Message to leejaneagles Add leejaneagles as a friend

There was literally a point where the Defender fouled Wilf but slipped and fell on his backside, the ball at Wilf's feet about 35 yards from goal with a defender on the floor and 2 Team Mates around him.

Referee clearly indicated advantage and Wilf stood there waving and pointing crying like a little girl to get his free kick rather than just run forward. Sick of him. Even if he had a good game to that point that's more than enough to know his attitude stinks and he isn't mentally right.

Schlupp is a good impact player but if you're going to start him it definitely needs to be in midfield running at players and having an option left and right all times. He's clearly not a winger that can bomb down the wing and create on his own.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 23 Aug 21 11.09am Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

Originally posted by leejaneagles

There was literally a point where the Defender fouled Wilf but slipped and fell on his backside, the ball at Wilf's feet about 35 yards from goal with a defender on the floor and 2 Team Mates around him.

Referee clearly indicated advantage and Wilf stood there waving and pointing crying like a little girl to get his free kick rather than just run forward. Sick of him. Even if he had a good game to that point that's more than enough to know his attitude stinks and he isn't mentally right.

Schlupp is a good impact player but if you're going to start him it definitely needs to be in midfield running at players and having an option left and right all times. He's clearly not a winger that can bomb down the wing and create on his own.

Schlupp may be world football's one and only remaining 'inside left'.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View FinchleyEagle's Profile FinchleyEagle Flag 23 Aug 21 11.17am Send a Private Message to FinchleyEagle Add FinchleyEagle as a friend

Originally posted by sprites

Wow, you're right so funny how differently people can see things. Disagree with most of your points and agree pretty much entirely with the OP.

Wilf was terrible. If he was on debut, I'd be saying get rid. Mitchell was woeful. He's not the answer at LB for us. Schlupp looked like no one knows what his best position is...which is probably true.

I'd also add that Gallagher was immense. Him and Macca/Luka sitting behind Eze whets the appetite.

Absolutely agree Sprites. Zaha needs to get his head on right, but as our GOAT he gets a little extra latitude.

The 2 CBs look immense, and other than the players reading the memo about football going back to being properly a contact sport and to start beasting other players (I'm looking at you especially Benteke, and Wilf mate, just get on with it!!) and the fact that it's very much a burgeoning project, I think it looks alright.

Imagine Eze back, Olise stepping up well, maybe one more signing, Luka back... that seems alright to me.

 


You'll be forever in my family's memories and it was an honor and privilege to play and lead in the red and blue
Yours sincerely
Mile Jedinak

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Chubskip's Profile Chubskip Flag 23 Aug 21 11.22am Send a Private Message to Chubskip Add Chubskip as a friend

I don't understand why Ayew escapes criticism? Cannot fault his effort but I really don't think he's good enough for prem league. Please prove me wrong.... I still think we need a holding midfielder, maybe Hughes could be that man and a forward coming in off the RHS. I too think we will be fine but may struggle to get points in next 4 or 5 games.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Pete53's Profile Pete53 Flag Hassocks 23 Aug 21 11.24am Send a Private Message to Pete53 Add Pete53 as a friend

Originally posted by FinchleyEagle

Absolutely agree Sprites. Zaha needs to get his head on right, but as our GOAT he gets a little extra latitude.

The 2 CBs look immense, and other than the players reading the memo about football going back to being properly a contact sport and to start beasting other players (I'm looking at you especially Benteke, and Wilf mate, just get on with it!!) and the fact that it's very much a burgeoning project, I think it looks alright.

Imagine Eze back, Olise stepping up well, maybe one more signing, Luka back... that seems alright to me.

Should Luka get back into the side he might, with the greater leniency being shown by refs, complete a game without getting a yellow card!!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 23 Aug 21 11.49am Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by DANGERCLOSE

Early day's but here goes

Partnership between Andersen and Guehi looks decent

Mitch needs to do better

Ward not quick enough

Gallaher and McArthur were both excellent

Kouyate poor performance

Schlupp looked lost at times

Zaha poor performance

Big Ben needs to make runs, a bit too static

Bench, no real options

My take on things so far

We need Eze and Olise back as we lack attacking options, if mitch gets injured we don't have a replacement. We played a lot better than last week and was a bit more exciting than last season. It will take time but I personally think we will be ok.

Transfer market.

We need ST,LB,Maybe a winger but I would like JRS given opportunities. We need better options on the bench for sure, I know Tompkins can do a job but do we need another?

Overall no more than a 6 out of 10. 1st half poor, got better in the 2nd half and could have nicked it.

I thought both full backs were ok but neither are great going forward - slows the attack down and unable or unwilling to put over an early cross.

Andersen and Guehi good although Andersen looked a little slow when dragged out to the wing.

Gallagher great 1st half but lost his way in the 2nd. Jimmy Mac solid, but disappoint in Jeff S. I still don't know his best position.

Tekkers won little in the air, looked a little disinterested (stupid offisdes etc) and missed with the one clear heading opportunity he had.

Wilf is Wilf - personally he has had performances like that for a few years now and definitely has lost a yard of pace. He needs to grow up regarding fouls, especially as the rules have been tweaked. Atkinson is a poor ref so he knew what to expect before the game (he was the ref who 'booked' Wild for a stonewall pen v Arse a couple of years ago before VAR corrected it).

One observation re defending. We still look poor at set pieces and will continue conceding too many from corners/free kicks and the 2 yard pass out from the keeper will definitely result in a goal being conceded soon (remember Sakho at Leicester)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 23 Aug 21 2.09pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by leejaneagles

There was literally a point where the Defender fouled Wilf but slipped and fell on his backside, the ball at Wilf's feet about 35 yards from goal with a defender on the floor and 2 Team Mates around him.

Referee clearly indicated advantage and Wilf stood there waving and pointing crying like a little girl to get his free kick rather than just run forward. Sick of him. Even if he had a good game to that point that's more than enough to know his attitude stinks and he isn't mentally right.

Schlupp is a good impact player but if you're going to start him it definitely needs to be in midfield running at players and having an option left and right all times. He's clearly not a winger that can bomb down the wing and create on his own.


This Wilf incident stuck clearly in my mind as well and confirmed to me at least that these days Wilf only cares about Wilf on the field of play and as for his team mates, they have to work for him and round him even when they are in better positions to score or assist than he is.

He desperately needs to sort his head out or get out.

Edited by doombear (23 Aug 2021 2.10pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View trapperjohn's Profile trapperjohn Flag Horsham 23 Aug 21 4.00pm Send a Private Message to trapperjohn Add trapperjohn as a friend

Originally posted by leejaneagles

There was literally a point where the Defender fouled Wilf but slipped and fell on his backside, the ball at Wilf's feet about 35 yards from goal with a defender on the floor and 2 Team Mates around him.

Referee clearly indicated advantage and Wilf stood there waving and pointing crying like a little girl to get his free kick rather than just run forward. Sick of him. Even if he had a good game to that point that's more than enough to know his attitude stinks and he isn't mentally right.

Schlupp is a good impact player but if you're going to start him it definitely needs to be in midfield running at players and having an option left and right all times. He's clearly not a winger that can bomb down the wing and create on his own.

Surely the reason he didnít run forward is that the defender had wrapped both arms round his ankle to stop him doing just that. I think I might have complained at that too

 


I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Back from yesterday's game