You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Will hughes
September 22 2021 12.39am

Will hughes

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

This forum is sponsored by

Football Index

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!

 

View Nubes's Profile Nubes Flag London 27 Aug 21 8.37am Send a Private Message to Nubes Add Nubes as a friend

Originally posted by thai-eagle

With Gallagher, McArthur, Schlupp, Kouyate, Luka, and hopefully later, Olise and Eze, is really another midfielder that we really need?
What about someone to put the ball in the net and some full-backs (on both sides)?


A different type of midfielder to all named above. He is a ball playing centre mid, not an enforcer or ball winner so to speak.

Pass-and-move is his game we donít have that default type midfielder.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 27 Aug 21 9.11am Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

Originally posted by EastEndEagle

Totally un-inspiring if that's the best we can get.

Never rated him, hardly set the world alight at Watford and talking to some Watford season ticket holders today they are glad to be shot of him. Apparently hugely one footed... To the point one said he didn't know why he bothered to wear 2 f***ing boots.

I hope he is not as bad as that but I am not hopeful

I just don't get this. This is a sensible signing, basically a younger version of Macca. Who also wasn't an inspiring signing, but he's done ok for us.

Lets not write the guy off before he even gets on the pitch.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Flag Midhurst 27 Aug 21 9.16am Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

This bloke seems to have quite a few supporters on here. Personally, I'm not convinced, but he's a relatively inexpensive option so he may add a different dimension.

Just hope he shaves his beard off. Anyway, we're not certain he's coming yet are we?

 


Dad and I watched games standing on the muddy slope of the Holmesdale Road end. He cheered and I rattled.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 27 Aug 21 9.24am Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by Palace Old Geezer

This bloke seems to have quite a few supporters on here. Personally, I'm not convinced, but he's a relatively inexpensive option so he may add a different dimension.

Just hope he shaves his beard off. Anyway, we're not certain he's coming yet are we?

It says here he's set to have his medical today:

[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Frickin Saweet's Profile Frickin Saweet Flag South Cronx 27 Aug 21 9.27am Send a Private Message to Frickin Saweet Add Frickin Saweet as a friend

I see him as the sort of player who can do some of the dirty work in midfield, yet still play a forward pass, to let our flair players flourish. A younger (and hopefully better) McArthur.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ex hibitionist's Profile ex hibitionist Flag Hastings 27 Aug 21 9.34am Send a Private Message to ex hibitionist Add ex hibitionist as a friend

It goes like this - Luka, McArthur, Jairo and Kouyate: we can only play one of these guys in our midfield, two of them means we are putting out a sh*t team. McArthur is the only one who comes close to being a regular first teamer, the rest are squad players and/or back-up defenders, apart from Luka who should be got rid of asap unless his form returns to somewhere near the first two seasons he was with us. Gallagher and Hughes are a good solution to what we all identified as one of our main weaknesses last season - lack of pace and energy in deep midfield. Hughes's arrival means we can look at strengthening up front and at full back. He is just what we need right now and he's not expensive (bit like the signings of Ayew and McCarthy). Welcome to Selhurst Will!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 27 Aug 21 9.58am Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by glazedallover


We have been linked with him for some time, and supposedly made an offer some 10 days ago.

Not exactly a 'panic' buy is it ?

we knew we had an ageing midfield for the last 2 years and more recently that McCarthy was going. We only got linked with Hughes when he declined a new contract.

Why not earlier in the summer if we were so keen on him?

It's a panic buy because he won't add much to our squad - a reasonable passer, but no creativity, not a great tackler and rarely scores. Maybe a younger version of Luka is the club's logic

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 27 Aug 21 10.03am Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

Originally posted by palace99

we knew we had an ageing midfield for the last 2 years and more recently that McCarthy was going. We only got linked with Hughes when he declined a new contract.

Why not earlier in the summer if we were so keen on him?

It's a panic buy because he won't add much to our squad - a reasonable passer, but no creativity, not a great tackler and rarely scores. Maybe a younger version of Luka is the club's logic

Its not a panic buy its good business. We haven't got 20 mill to spend on every player in the squad. So no I doubt he was top of the list, but not signing a contract likely dropped his value from 15m to 6m. So he represents good value for money.

Much the same with Nketiah, last year of his contract so we can now afford him.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Flag Midhurst 27 Aug 21 10.06am Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

Originally posted by ex hibitionist

It goes like this - Luka, McArthur, Jairo and Kouyate: we can only play one of these guys in our midfield, two of them means we are putting out a sh*t team. McArthur is the only one who comes close to being a regular first teamer, the rest are squad players and/or back-up defenders, apart from Luka who should be got rid of asap unless his form returns to somewhere near the first two seasons he was with us. Gallagher and Hughes are a good solution to what we all identified as one of our main weaknesses last season - lack of pace and energy in deep midfield. Hughes's arrival means we can look at strengthening up front and at full back. He is just what we need right now and he's not expensive (bit like the signings of Ayew and McCarthy). Welcome to Selhurst Will!

I can't help but wonder whether PV sees it that way. Or did he have no say in the matter?

 


Dad and I watched games standing on the muddy slope of the Holmesdale Road end. He cheered and I rattled.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Orange1290's Profile Orange1290 Flag 27 Aug 21 10.33am Send a Private Message to Orange1290 Add Orange1290 as a friend

Good signing and another one over the line well before the window closes. Hopefully one more, a striker, to be in the bag by beginning of next week. A couple of more games of settling in and then I think some good results will start to be seen.

 


Pro China, EU & Palestine

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 27 Aug 21 10.38am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

I think we should trust PV I assume that a world class midfielder should have some talent spotting ability.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Buckspalace's Profile Buckspalace Flag Thornborough 27 Aug 21 11.08am Send a Private Message to Buckspalace Add Buckspalace as a friend

Totally underwhelmed with this, i hope i am proved wrong but always felt a bit lightweight.

We need a striker in before the window closes top priority

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Will hughes