You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > How long until this new look team gels
October 26 2021 3.39am

How long until this new look team gels

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last >>

 

View BALDEAGLE!'s Profile BALDEAGLE! Flag Crystal palace 31 Aug 21 11.04pm Send a Private Message to BALDEAGLE! Add BALDEAGLE! as a friend

Starting to get a bit excited about the new look team! how’s it going to look? how are we gonna play ?and can we shoehorn all these creative players into a team

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Palace 1979's Profile Palace 1979 Flag Surrey 31 Aug 21 11.09pm Send a Private Message to Palace 1979 Add Palace 1979 as a friend

Needs a few months I think. especially with the run of fixtures coming up. Still got Eze and Ferguson to wait for too (approx November) so if we can gel by then it will make it easier to bring them into the side too.

Been happy with the changes so far, and wasn't it great to actually have some possession and look threatening again against West Ham.

Now we have a natural goalscorer, if he can adapt quickly this could be a very exciting team to watch.

What a fantastic transfer window...

 


Some people are like Slinkies … not really good for anything, but you can’t help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ChicagoPalace's Profile ChicagoPalace Flag 01 Sep 21 2.06am Send a Private Message to ChicagoPalace Add ChicagoPalace as a friend

I think we need to be really patient. Difficult run of fixtures through November. Frankly, if we have seven or eight points through ten games, I think we will be perfectly fine. Can't wait to see how the club looks when Hughes, Olise, Eze and Edouard are added to the mix.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 01 Sep 21 6.54am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by Palace 1979

Needs a few months I think. especially with the run of fixtures coming up. Still got Eze and Ferguson to wait for too (approx November) so if we can gel by then it will make it easier to bring them into the side too.

Been happy with the changes so far, and wasn't it great to actually have some possession and look threatening again against West Ham.

Now we have a natural goalscorer, if he can adapt quickly this could be a very exciting team to watch.

What a fantastic transfer window...

I used to read Shoot! magazine when I was a kid - I've still got a copy of the first edition. Whenever a new player joined a club, it was invariably written that he would need 3 to 6 months to "settle in". How times have changed, eh?

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag 01 Sep 21 7.09am Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Originally posted by YT

I used to read Shoot! magazine when I was a kid - I've still got a copy of the first edition. Whenever a new player joined a club, it was invariably written that he would need 3 to 6 months to "settle in". How times have changed, eh?


Haaa. Remember it well. How we have moved on. I used to be in awe when there was an article on Palace. The the claret and thin blue stripes always looked great in black and white. Even with everything covered in mud. Can you screen shot it and post it?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Pete53's Profile Pete53 Flag Hassocks 01 Sep 21 8.38am Send a Private Message to Pete53 Add Pete53 as a friend

Well hopefully fairly quickly. We have already bedded in three newbies in Gallagher, Guehi and Andersen, so we won't be having to introduce all the new ones at the same time.

Given the limitations of our financial resources and the status of our club, I think it was a pretty good window. At least there appeared to be some strategic thinking behind the recruitment strategy. I know some wanted a winger, but, at least we did get a striker.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Ginger Pubic Wig's Profile Ginger Pubic Wig Flag Wickham de L'Ouest 01 Sep 21 9.34am Send a Private Message to Ginger Pubic Wig Add Ginger Pubic Wig as a friend

I think this is the killer question.

When you look at what Roy achieved with the players he had, you really appreciate his contribution. Clearly, we look a lot stronger on paper but if we take some heavy early beatings, things won't look good at all, and we could have poor morale/unity.

Roy had a united bunch of average players. Patrick has a disparate bunch of (seemingly) very good players. It's a big task to bring them together.

 


If you want to live in a world full of kindness, respect and love, try to show these qualities.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PatrickA's Profile PatrickA Flag London 01 Sep 21 9.34am Send a Private Message to PatrickA Add PatrickA as a friend

We will have a younger, energetic team more capable of playing on the front foot.
Looking at the risk/reward aspects of making the transition to a new style with new players there is one potential downside that seems obvious.
If we replace Kouyate with Hughes and Benteke with Edouard we do lose two accomplished players at defending set pieces with their height and heading ability.
Guiita is not particularly commanding and arguably we would only be left with Anderson, Guehi and possibly Ward to defend set pieces .
This could be something for teams such as Burnley and Everton to exploit.
I’m not suggesting Benteke and Kouyate should be included merely because of their aerial presence and it may be a case of us trying to avoid conceding too many set pieces and corners.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 01 Sep 21 10.16am Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

The million dollar question.

Hopefully not long.

We have bought smartly. Quite a few players (Anderson, CG, Hughes) that know the league, so the pace and physicality shouldn’t be a problem. We have a few others Guehi, Olise, Edourad that will need to get up to speed.

Since the promotion its often been referenced about how tight the squad was and how welcoming a team it was. That’s partly I guess due to the fact that we barely signed anyone, but you do see lots of photos that seam to allude to players being happy. Olise and Eze spring to mind.

I guess the thing that Pat needs to do is look at the team and work out how best to bed them all in. As much as I’d like to always see our best 11 players starting, there will be an important role for Luka, Kouyate, Benteke and Ayew. Whilst maybe not the best, their experience will be invaluable. So if we’re playing a Burnley, we might see Olise, and Hughes on the bench for Ayew and Kouyate. Or Benteke coming on for the last 20 to try and hold on to a 1 nil.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Tickled pink's Profile Tickled pink Flag Cornwall 01 Sep 21 10.17am Send a Private Message to Tickled pink Add Tickled pink as a friend

String.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 01 Sep 21 10.26am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by MrRobbo

The million dollar question.

Hopefully not long.

We have bought smartly. Quite a few players (Anderson, CG, Hughes) that know the league, so the pace and physicality shouldn’t be a problem. We have a few others Guehi, Olise, Edourad that will need to get up to speed.

Since the promotion its often been referenced about how tight the squad was and how welcoming a team it was. That’s partly I guess due to the fact that we barely signed anyone, but you do see lots of photos that seam to allude to players being happy. Olise and Eze spring to mind.

I guess the thing that Pat needs to do is look at the team and work out how best to bed them all in. As much as I’d like to always see our best 11 players starting, there will be an important role for Luka, Kouyate, Benteke and Ayew. Whilst maybe not the best, their experience will be invaluable. So if we’re playing a Burnley, we might see Olise, and Hughes on the bench for Ayew and Kouyate. Or Benteke coming on for the last 20 to try and hold on to a 1 nil.

A million dollars? That's small change these days. Ronaldo gets paid that in less than two weeks!

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 01 Sep 21 10.35am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by dreamwaverider


Haaa. Remember it well. How we have moved on. I used to be in awe when there was an article on Palace. The the claret and thin blue stripes always looked great in black and white. Even with everything covered in mud. Can you screen shot it and post it?

Unfortunately a lot of my "stuff" is in storage at the moment. We had to de-clutter in order to accommodate some waifs and strays during lockdown, and they are still here!!

Anyway, here's an image from the t'internet. Two things of interest:

1) the cover price of one shilling (5p). That was a bit pricey back in the day, so I was well chuffed that my parents agreed to buy it for me each week.

2) "Terrific New Football Paper For Boys". A girl-free zone; those were the days!

Shoot.jpg Attachment: Shoot.jpg (14.95Kb)

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > How long until this new look team gels