You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Marcus Rashfords tax affairs
December 1 2021 5.49pm

Marcus Rashfords tax affairs

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 3 of 3 << First< 1 2 3

 

View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 19 Oct 21 8.07pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Goal Machine

I suspect he receives his salary from Man Utd which is subject to PAYE. I suspect for his private business - imagine rights etc is set up as a Limited Company as he pays less tax that way.

I donít know how accurate that £20m charity donation is, but he can (and probably does) claim tax relief on that. If he donates £20m, his basic rate tax band is extended by £20m. You donít seem to realise that avoiding tax is legal if done through the correct channels. Tax evasion however - i.e not declaring income from a rental property is illegal.

Heís doing what all sensible wealthy people do and seeking professional advice to maximise his wealth.

But is it fair?
I would say no it isn't. Many millions can't.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Goal Machine's Profile Goal Machine Flag The Cronx 19 Oct 21 10.05pm Send a Private Message to Goal Machine Add Goal Machine as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

But is it fair?
I would say no it isn't. Many millions can't.

Yes, it is fair because you get tax relief for doing things the government support/encourage.

Edited by Goal Machine (19 Oct 2021 10.20pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 19 Oct 21 11.25pm Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

I really don't get the constant focus on the bloke really, considering he at least has, on multiple occasions gone out of his way to champion causes related to poverty and so on. I'm as cynical as the next man but there are plenty of footballers and others doing absolutely nothing, and they're not under anywhere near as much scrutiny. He's not perfect by any means, but we shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. It will dissuade people from looking to make a difference.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 19 Oct 21 11.39pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by BlueJay

I really don't get the constant focus on the bloke really, considering he at least has, on multiple occasions gone out of his way to champion causes related to poverty and so on. I'm as cynical as the next man but there are plenty of footballers and others doing absolutely nothing, and they're not under anywhere near as much scrutiny. He's not perfect by any means, but we shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. It will dissuade people from looking to make a difference.

Well put - heís held to a higher level of scrutiny than our own government.. I wonder why.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 20 Oct 21 8.05pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by Goal Machine

I suspect he receives his salary from Man Utd which is subject to PAYE. I suspect for his private business - imagine rights etc is set up as a Limited Company as he pays less tax that way.

I donít know how accurate that £20m charity donation is, but he can (and probably does) claim tax relief on that. If he donates £20m, his basic rate tax band is extended by £20m. You donít seem to realise that avoiding tax is legal if done through the correct channels. Tax evasion however - i.e not declaring income from a rental property is illegal.

Heís doing what all sensible wealthy people do and seeking professional advice to maximise his wealth.

I completely understand the difference between tax evasion and avoidance, and that many rich people engage lawfully (though in my opinion, not always morally) in the latter.

As I've said a few times now though, Rashford would be a slightly special case if he is actually shielding his wealth from the taxman through his companies, simply because he has pressed (effectively) for greater strain to be placed on the public purse at the same time.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 20 Oct 21 9.10pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

Well put - heís held to a higher level of scrutiny than our own government.. I wonder why.

As author of the OP I can only explain my own reasons for applying scrutiny. Presuming I've read the inference in your question correctly (and forgive me if I've imagined it) I can confirm that my interest is indeed related to Rashfords race, class and social background.

My strongly held view is that none of these things should influence the treatment a person receives in society, but I'm increasingly concerned that they do. Identity Politics is a worry to me, but not nearly as much of a worry as the extent to which media and corporate organisations are tacitly supporting it.

If Rashford is shielding part of his considerable personal wealth from tax but receiving only gushing praise where other celebrities and politicians have received criticism for the same thing, it would be naive not to ask if race, class and social background are relevant in that inconsistent approach.

If, on the other hand, he's put his money into his companies so that he can develop useful and profitable businesses, and will ultimately pay the same or more in business taxes as he avoided as a private individual, then not only can I think well of Rashford, but I can also rest assured that identity politics hasn't gripped the media and corporate world so fully that they are overlooking the astonishing hypocrisy and naked tax avoidance of a phenomenally wealthy man, simply because of the boxes he happens to tick.

Hence the OP.

Edited by TheBigToePunt (20 Oct 2021 9.15pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Mapletree's Profile Mapletree Flag Croydon 20 Oct 21 11.51pm Send a Private Message to Mapletree Add Mapletree as a friend

Look up the filing histories for yourself if you care.

[Link]

Only two of the companies are active. One looks like itís linked to image rights and one to property but I am not interested enough to look any deeper.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View HKOwen's Profile HKOwen Flag Hong Kong 21 Oct 21 12.10am Send a Private Message to HKOwen Add HKOwen as a friend

I agree with this.

There is of course a hypocrisy involved when those doing this preach politics.

A simpler tax system is good for all.

Originally posted by Badger11

My response is the same whether it is Rashford, Jimmy Carr or Sir Tufton Bufton Tory MP.

Tax avoidance is legal if you don't like it change the tax laws. All he is doing is taking advantage of our increasingly complicated and illogical tax system.

The smart thing the government could do is to close all the loopholes whilst reducing the basic rates.

 


A lie will travel half way around the world before the truth has got it's shoes on.

When conceited septuagenarians opine , best to ignore.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dannyboy1978's Profile dannyboy1978 Flag 21 Oct 21 4.55pm Send a Private Message to dannyboy1978 Add dannyboy1978 as a friend

Originally posted by chris123

They are taxed as employees of their clubs.

Not there commercial income though

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 09 Nov 21 2.25pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Marcus was awarded an MBE today, what a fcuking joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only an MBE? It should be . Sir Marcus Rashford !

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View BlueJay's Profile BlueJay Flag UK 09 Nov 21 4.11pm Send a Private Message to BlueJay Add BlueJay as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud

Marcus was awarded an MBE today, what a fcuking joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only an MBE? It should be . Sir Marcus Rashford !

Fair play to him. Some people seem to have a bee in their bonnet about the bloke, but to my mind if someone actually is passionate about making a difference and is rewarded for that attitude good for them. There are hundreds of Premier League footballers who clearly do sod all apart from count their cash so if we're going to criticise anyone, we should start with them.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View croydon proud's Profile croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 09 Nov 21 6.03pm Send a Private Message to croydon proud Add croydon proud as a friend

Originally posted by BlueJay

Fair play to him. Some people seem to have a bee in their bonnet about the bloke, but to my mind if someone actually is passionate about making a difference and is rewarded for that attitude good for them. There are hundreds of Premier League footballers who clearly do sod all apart from count their cash so if we're going to criticise anyone, we should start with them.

Yes, top bloke, great example to the youngers to!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 3 of 3 << First< 1 2 3

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Marcus Rashfords tax affairs