You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Crystal Palace V Watford match thread
May 20 2022 5.43am

Crystal Palace V Watford match thread

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 10 of 10 << First< 6 7 8 9 10

 

View palace99's Profile palace99 Flag New Mills 09 May 22 10.47am Send a Private Message to palace99 Add palace99 as a friend

Originally posted by Eaglecoops

What I was particularly disappointed with, was that we knew how Roy would set them up, that is narrow and tight with a drift defence. We failed to get the diagonal ball out to the wing (where there is alway space against a Roy side) either quick enough or accurately enough.

I still think we desperately need a midfielder who can accurately pass and tear open defences with one touch. I lost count of the number of times the ball arrived slowly at Olise’s and Zaha’s feet and all they could was pass it backwards because the drift defence had time to come across and put pressure on them. Will Hughes had a decent game but he is no Cabaye and I thought Eze’s passing was only average.

Agree, Watford were dire so only winning 1.0 was poor - look at West Ham taking Norwich apart after a hard game in Europe only a few days before. We did look partly on the beach IMHO.
The slow build up play is frustrating and something PV often mentions yet we repeatedly do it.
Whilst the backward passing from Olise and to a less extent zaha was frustrating i also think Olise needs to improve his all round game. He is such a fantastic player yet often look a little disinterested.

When the left back got booked early on i said to my mates he'd get sent off today. After the pen he clearly lost his head a little. Yet Olise didn't bother running at him for the rest of the 1st half. When he did bother in the 2nd half he immediately got fouled and was sent off. Why didn't Olise and the rest of the team focus on this area??

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CT Charlie's Profile CT Charlie Flag 09 May 22 10.51pm Send a Private Message to CT Charlie Add CT Charlie as a friend

I agree that we need to be more deliberate about attacking physical opponents who pick up a yellow card early.

I also agree that our passing from midfield to the wings is tentative rather than decisive. Perhaps Eze is too comfortable on the ball, knowing he can control it better than most. However, PV needs to demand that Ebs send quick 20-30 yard bullets to the wings, in order for us to attack at pace. (Bonus, if he regularly sends quick balls wide, the occasional through-ball to a striker will become more effective.)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 10 May 22 7.12am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

I agree that we have periods when we take far too long to get our act together going forwards, however I would like to mention that the diagonal ball from defence to forward wide which seemed to arrive with Joachim Andersen was also being used to good effect by both Mark Guehi & Joel ward on Saturday- often over the top of their defender but there was one delicious one that was flat to the old inside right position that had Watford completely flummoxed.

Originally posted by CT Charlie

I agree that we need to be more deliberate about attacking physical opponents who pick up a yellow card early.

I also agree that our passing from midfield to the wings is tentative rather than decisive. Perhaps Eze is too comfortable on the ball, knowing he can control it better than most. However, PV needs to demand that Ebs send quick 20-30 yard bullets to the wings, in order for us to attack at pace. (Bonus, if he regularly sends quick balls wide, the occasional through-ball to a striker will become more effective.)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Den1923's Profile Den1923 Flag 11 May 22 1.33pm Send a Private Message to Den1923 Add Den1923 as a friend

[Link]

These figures are surprisingly good, when compared to other EPL teams!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 11 May 22 1.45pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by Den1923

[Link]

These figures are surprisingly good, when compared to other EPL teams!

Yes, if you think having the 5th-lowest number of shots on goal this season is good and a surprise.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Den1923's Profile Den1923 Flag 11 May 22 1.58pm Send a Private Message to Den1923 Add Den1923 as a friend

Originally posted by YT

Yes, if you think having the 5th-lowest number of shots on goal this season is good and a surprise.

Yes agreed, clearly we need to improve our play in the final third, we do not get players forward quickly enough and lack a good goal poacher who can anticipate where the ball may end up in the box!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 10 of 10 << First< 6 7 8 9 10

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Crystal Palace V Watford match thread