You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Palace Release Academy Players
July 5 2022 1.06am

Palace Release Academy Players

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last >>

 

View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 11 Jun 22 6.47am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Some well known names touted for a first team spot have been released.

[Link]

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cROYdonrogers's Profile cROYdonrogers Flag Leamington Spa 11 Jun 22 7.32am Send a Private Message to cROYdonrogers Add cROYdonrogers as a friend

Saw that and it got me thinking about the value and/or direction of the academy. I'm instinctively pro the academy, the idea of harvesting and nurturing the best talent in South London etc, but is it working?
Recently you would only point to AWB and Mitchell, the later with some input from Brentford. I thought Rak-Sakyi's debut was ok. Genuinely ok. Needs to beef up a bit to survive the rigors of Premier League football.
So if we're going the academy route lets do some things differently. We need to loan out smarter, even at the risk of the finishing position of the Academy teams. Say send a player to Sutton free of charge, where we can monitor easily. Yes try and follow the Chelsea model at a lower level, although I think we are a long way off that at the moment. Give the Academy one place on the bench, now there will be 5 substitutes.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View rossboss29's Profile rossboss29 Flag Portsmouth 11 Jun 22 7.52am Send a Private Message to rossboss29 Add rossboss29 as a friend

Good luck to them all and hopefully they find new clubs.

I feel especially sorry for Luke Dreher who was on the verges of the first team at one stage but unfortunately injuries had ruined his chances to progress with us.

I know Sean Robertson was highly rated also at one point but again injuries curtailed his play time.

Iím sure Nya Kirby wonít be short of takers.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EverybodyDannsNow's Profile EverybodyDannsNow Flag SE19 11 Jun 22 12.43pm Send a Private Message to EverybodyDannsNow Add EverybodyDannsNow as a friend

Originally posted by cROYdonrogers

Saw that and it got me thinking about the value and/or direction of the academy. I'm instinctively pro the academy, the idea of harvesting and nurturing the best talent in South London etc, but is it working?
Recently you would only point to AWB and Mitchell, the later with some input from Brentford. I thought Rak-Sakyi's debut was ok. Genuinely ok. Needs to beef up a bit to survive the rigors of Premier League football.
So if we're going the academy route lets do some things differently. We need to loan out smarter, even at the risk of the finishing position of the Academy teams. Say send a player to Sutton free of charge, where we can monitor easily. Yes try and follow the Chelsea model at a lower level, although I think we are a long way off that at the moment. Give the Academy one place on the bench, now there will be 5 substitutes.

You're never really going to get more than a couple of first-team prospects in each batch of kids coming through - the fact we can point to AWB and Mitchell in the last few years is amazing... how many clubs have sold an academy graduate for £50m in recent years? And how many have another graduate as one of the first name's on the team sheet?

We're going well - Adaramola and JRS look to be the next up, and the current U18 squad seems to be particularly strong... I think there's 4 or 5 of them who've represented England at various youth levels.

The future is bright!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 11 Jun 22 1.36pm Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

Also in the grand scheme of things the Academy is still a fledgling operation, for sure it will evolve as each season passes.

Originally posted by EverybodyDannsNow

You're never really going to get more than a couple of first-team prospects in each batch of kids coming through - the fact we can point to AWB and Mitchell in the last few years is amazing... how many clubs have sold an academy graduate for £50m in recent years? And how many have another graduate as one of the first name's on the team sheet?

We're going well - Adaramola and JRS look to be the next up, and the current U18 squad seems to be particularly strong... I think there's 4 or 5 of them who've represented England at various youth levels.

The future is bright!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Crystal_Clear's Profile Crystal_Clear Flag Belfast 11 Jun 22 5.47pm Send a Private Message to Crystal_Clear Add Crystal_Clear as a friend

Two names there which were highly rated at one time

Dreher who was seriously unlucky with injuries.

Kirby who had chances to shine whilst out on loan, but never seemed to to fulfill potential.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View doombear's Profile doombear Flag Too far from Selhurst Park 11 Jun 22 6.56pm Send a Private Message to doombear Add doombear as a friend

Originally posted by Crystal_Clear

Two names there which were highly rated at one time

Dreher who was seriously unlucky with injuries.

Kirby who had chances to shine whilst out on loan, but never seemed to to fulfill potential.


Was part of that England U17 World Cup winning squad along the likes of Sancho, Foden, Gallagher, Hudson-Odoi, Smith-Rowe, Guehi and a few others.

Just shows how quickly things can change for a youngster. I remember watching Kirby in one of last season's pre=season matches and thinking 'he hasn't got what it takes for the PL'. Clearly, the club have taken the same view.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Pete53's Profile Pete53 Flag Hassocks 12 Jun 22 11.00am Send a Private Message to Pete53 Add Pete53 as a friend

I don't know how old those players being released are, but once you are getting close to being too old for the Under 23s then you are reaching a crossroads. Unless you are a genuine clear prospect for inclusion in the senior squad then there is no option but to move them on.

I wish them well.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 12 Jun 22 3.28pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

At the risk of boring people by repeating a point I've made before, there simply isn't an amount of money, a set of facilities, a standard of staff or an organisational strategy any club can use that overcomes the bald facts of the profession: Very, very few youth prospects make it. Look at how many international youth tournament winners end up not even being professional footballers.

The numbers alone dictate constant rejection of youth players. You give your senior left back a five year deal. Meanwhile, you have a left back in each of your youth teams from u14 up to u18. At the end of each of the next five years you have to decide if the oldest youth team left back is likely to be better than the senior man. People talk about creating a 'pathway' but even if the club sell the senior left back and give the u18 player a chance, you'd end up either replacing that same player a year later with the next upcoming youth player, or releasing that next upcoming youth player. One way or another, there can never be enough job opportunities for the number of youth products, even if only because the lifespan of a professional contract covers the same period in which four or five youth players reach the end of the development process.

The vast majority of players on the list will have known for a long time that they weren't going to be professional footballers. They are kept on because the one or two that might have a chance need another twelve or thirteen blokes around them in order to play matches.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 12 Jun 22 7.50pm Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

At the risk of boring people by repeating a point I've made before, there simply isn't an amount of money, a set of facilities, a standard of staff or an organisational strategy any club can use that overcomes the bald facts of the profession: Very, very few youth prospects make it. Look at how many international youth tournament winners end up not even being professional footballers.

The numbers alone dictate constant rejection of youth players. You give your senior left back a five year deal. Meanwhile, you have a left back in each of your youth teams from u14 up to u18. At the end of each of the next five years you have to decide if the oldest youth team left back is likely to be better than the senior man. People talk about creating a 'pathway' but even if the club sell the senior left back and give the u18 player a chance, you'd end up either replacing that same player a year later with the next upcoming youth player, or releasing that next upcoming youth player. One way or another, there can never be enough job opportunities for the number of youth products, even if only because the lifespan of a professional contract covers the same period in which four or five youth players reach the end of the development process.

The vast majority of players on the list will have known for a long time that they weren't going to be professional footballers. They are kept on because the one or two that might have a chance need another twelve or thirteen blokes around them in order to play matches.


This is key. If our policy was to let every player go at 18 who wasn't going to make it we wouldn't be able to field a team. It sounds harsh, but many of the players will be going through the motions, at the minute to keep JRS and TA playing and progressing.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Norway's Profile Norway Flag Sandnes,Norway 13 Jun 22 11.33am Send a Private Message to Norway Add Norway as a friend

Today Manchester City signed a young Norwegian - his father Alfi Haaland signed for City 22 years ago. Alfie was part of an excellent youth team (the same for his son a few decades later) I remember one of Alfies trainers told me: When I looked at the group as 16 years old I would never have thought Alfie Haaland would make it - many in the team had much more talent than him. But he was the one who trained hardest and worked hardest - making him a pro in England for a decade. Nobody thought that was possible when he played for the youth teams.

My point is - too much talent who shines early often lack the hard work which make the really good players. And the Haalands are definitly among them.
So let us encourage the young Palace players to keep working hard!

 


Norway

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag Chatham 13 Jun 22 12.01pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

I remember a story from harry rednap when at Tottenham about frank lampard kicking balls at goal in all weather at all hours. I canít remember what player wasnít signed instead but harry said there and then that frank would get to the top.
Too right he did. Much as heís now a bit of a dinlow frank certainly was a great player.
Point being itís not the most skilful who actually make it as the poster said.

Oops I think it was West Ham

Edited by cryrst (13 Jun 2022 8.16pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Palace Release Academy Players