You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Three/Five at the back?
June 27 2022 3.48am

Three/Five at the back?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


 

View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 19 Jun 22 10.24pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Quite a few of the clickbait sites are saying Vieira will switch from a back four to a three / five system next season and that this is influencing who we go after in the transfer market.

I suppose the obvious reason for a change would be to solidify in the centre of defence, where for all their skill on the ball Anderson and Guehi have often been found wanting under a high ball or a cross. Finding space for a really big defender who can head the ball would help, and offset Mitchell's lack of height at the back post by pushing him a bit further from the goal and closer to the touchline where he excels.

Not sure what we would be gaining otherwise. Neither of our right backs are high quality attacking options, and even if we got AWB back we'd not be much better off in that regard. Not sure where Zaha, Olise and Eze all fit into that shape either, presuming we also want an out and out striker in the side.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 20 Jun 22 8.34am Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

Quite a few of the clickbait sites are saying Vieira will switch from a back four to a three / five system next season and that this is influencing who we go after in the transfer market.

I suppose the obvious reason for a change would be to solidify in the centre of defence, where for all their skill on the ball Anderson and Guehi have often been found wanting under a high ball or a cross. Finding space for a really big defender who can head the ball would help, and offset Mitchell's lack of height at the back post by pushing him a bit further from the goal and closer to the touchline where he excels.

Not sure what we would be gaining otherwise. Neither of our right backs are high quality attacking options, and even if we got AWB back we'd not be much better off in that regard. Not sure where Zaha, Olise and Eze all fit into that shape either, presuming we also want an out and out striker in the side.

Might see something like:

Guaita

Anderson NEW Guehi

AWB/Clyne/NEW Mitchell

Doucoure? NEW/Someone else

Eze

Olise Wilf

New/Mateta/Someone else

 


Here's to you the famous red and blue.....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View CrazyBadger's Profile CrazyBadger Flag Ware 20 Jun 22 9.59am Send a Private Message to CrazyBadger Add CrazyBadger as a friend

Originally posted by TheBigToePunt

Quite a few of the clickbait sites are saying Vieira will switch from a back four to a three / five system next season and that this is influencing who we go after in the transfer market.

I suppose the obvious reason for a change would be to solidify in the centre of defence, where for all their skill on the ball Anderson and Guehi have often been found wanting under a high ball or a cross. Finding space for a really big defender who can head the ball would help, and offset Mitchell's lack of height at the back post by pushing him a bit further from the goal and closer to the touchline where he excels.

Not sure what we would be gaining otherwise. Neither of our right backs are high quality attacking options, and even if we got AWB back we'd not be much better off in that regard. Not sure where Zaha, Olise and Eze all fit into that shape either, presuming we also want an out and out striker in the side.

always thought AWB would Be suited to the right sided CB in a three, so could see a back 5 of

----AWB -- Anderson -- Guehi
Clyne --------------------Mitchell

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ambrose7's Profile ambrose7 Flag Croydon 20 Jun 22 10.28am Send a Private Message to ambrose7 Add ambrose7 as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

Might see something like:

Guaita

Anderson NEW Guehi

AWB/Clyne/NEW Mitchell

Doucoure? NEW/Someone else

Eze

Olise Wilf

New/Mateta/Someone else

Might do, but the standard of refereeing would have to get even worse to allow us to sneak a 12th player on for the entire season!

If we go to 5 at the back then Eze, Wilf, Olise and and a striker can't all be in the team at the same time unless the remaining midfielder is the messiah - we'd get utterly destroyed in middle of the pitch.

I think it'd more likely be Wilf, a striker, and one of Olise/Eze at any one time.

 


26th January 2010 - Enter Administration
2nd May 2010 - D-Day 1 - Survival at Hillsborough
1st June 2010 - D-Day 2 - Survival at Lloyds
7th June 2010 - CPFC2010 exchange contracts.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 20 Jun 22 11.41am Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

*****New***Andersen***Guehi****
Clyne *****************Mitchell
******Doucoure*Hughes**********
*************Eze***************
*****Olise**********Wilf*******

Mateta/Edouard as the option to change to 4-3-3

 


Never be Two Faced, Always Say What You Think, keep Chilled, Man

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 20 Jun 22 1.53pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

*****New***Andersen***Guehi****
Clyne *****************Mitchell
******Doucoure*Hughes**********
*************Eze***************
*****Olise**********Wilf*******

Mateta/Edouard as the option to change to 4-3-3

That looks good to me.

I would perhaps like someone else instead of Hughes but not overly fussed and I would suggest Andersen as a RCB as opposed to the central defender.

Would be nice to have a real commanding 'blood and guts' player in there as opposed to the not so living up to on paper 6'5" viking who is more of a ball player for some reason!

 


Here's to you the famous red and blue.....

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View TheBigToePunt's Profile TheBigToePunt Flag 21 Jun 22 8.08pm Send a Private Message to TheBigToePunt Add TheBigToePunt as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

*****New***Andersen***Guehi****
Clyne *****************Mitchell
******Doucoure*Hughes**********
*************Eze***************
*****Olise**********Wilf*******

Mateta/Edouard as the option to change to 4-3-3

Yeah, that's the only way we are getting Eze, Wilf and Olise in the same team with a back three. I don't much like the look of it to be honest. I'm not sure who puts the hard hards in upfront in that system, I don't fancy Clyne to create much, and I don't think Olise should play up top.

If we went 343 then we could go with something like:

*****New***Andersen***Guehi*****
New******Hughes***Eze******Mitchell
****Olise************Wilf********
***********Whoever*************

To put it mildly, Hughes would need to have had his Weetabix to cover for the attackers around him, and most managers from Conte to Southgate tend to use two holding midfielders in this system (making it five defenders and two defensive midfielders - yawn!) but either leaving one of Zaha, Eze or Olise out if they are fit to play, or asking the three of them to play in a strikerless system when all three of them want to come and take the ball to feet, and not one of them wants to run behind seems fraught with difficulties.

I just can't see a back-three system suiting our best attacking players.

Edited by TheBigToePunt (21 Jun 2022 8.10pm)

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 22 Jun 22 1.06pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

For what it's worth, I hope we stick to last season's tactics in general, with the odd tweak. The three at the back is fine if you've got Reece James but we have Ward.
Just because it's fashionable, I hope we don't have our heads turned. We don't really have the centre backs either - but Ward could be part of a back three. Then our only wing backs are Mitchell and Clyne - not great.

 


Patrick Viera's
Red and Blue Army!

He decked a bin dipper - respect.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
Yellow Card - User has been warned of conduct on the messageboards View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 22 Jun 22 3.17pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

For what it's worth, I hope we stick to last season's tactics in general, with the odd tweak. The three at the back is fine if you've got Reece James but we have Ward.
Just because it's fashionable, I hope we don't have our heads turned. We don't really have the centre backs either - but Ward could be part of a back three. Then our only wing backs are Mitchell and Clyne - not great.

I agree 4-2-3-1, which it was, more than 4-3-3

 


Never be Two Faced, Always Say What You Think, keep Chilled, Man

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Eaglecoops's Profile Eaglecoops Flag CR3 23 Jun 22 6.52pm Send a Private Message to Eaglecoops Add Eaglecoops as a friend

I keep looking at all these proposed set ups and canít see where the goals are going to come from with 5 at the back.

IMO 4-3-3 works best for us with tactical short term changes to 4-4-2 and maybe 5-3-2.

If we do play 5 in defence there would be a lot of talent left on the bench.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 


Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Three/Five at the back?