You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > 'Diversity' in advertising
August 9 2022 6.53pm

'Diversity' in advertising

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

 

View Forest Hillbilly's Profile Forest Hillbilly Flag in a hidey-hole 01 Jul 22 9.20pm Send a Private Message to Forest Hillbilly Add Forest Hillbilly as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

Marta Kaufman who created Friends is feeling really guilty there were no black main characters and barely any at all in her sitcom (that started 25 years ago and went on for quite a few years before it was expected to make everything multiethnic even if it wouldn’t be). To show her guilt and shame during her self flagellation she’s going to donate £4 million to a non white cause or something. Surely she should donate everything she has and live in poverty for the rest of her days.

I didn't realise there were chariddeeees that discriminated on skin colour. is this how WOKE works ? help according to the Dulux colour chart.

 


,.,.,..,

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 01 Jul 22 9.44pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Forest Hillbilly

I didn't realise there were chariddeeees that discriminated on skin colour. is this how WOKE works ? help according to the Dulux colour chart.


It's to create an endowed professorship in the African American Department at Brandeis university.
Expensive things, endowed professorships.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eritheagle's Profile eritheagle Flag Erith 01 Jul 22 10.02pm Send a Private Message to eritheagle Add eritheagle as a friend

Originally posted by Rudi Hedman

Marta Kaufman who created Friends is feeling really guilty there were no black main characters and barely any at all in her sitcom (that started 25 years ago and went on for quite a few years before it was expected to make everything multiethnic even if it wouldn’t be). To show her guilt and shame during her self flagellation she’s going to donate £4 million to a non white cause or something. Surely she should donate everything she has and live in poverty for the rest of her days.

I wonder if the Fresh Prince of Bel Air creator will feel the need to do similar?!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Jimenez's Profile Jimenez Flag SELHURSTPARKCHESTER,DA BRONX 01 Jul 22 10.41pm Send a Private Message to Jimenez Add Jimenez as a friend

She's a registered Democrat so kinda fits the bill. I can only imagine that the series has made her rich beyond belief.
There is a 'Friends Experience' on the corner of 23rd St which I think has a Central Perk Cafe as well as mock ups of their apartments, there always a line around the block when I walk past so guessing it's a real cash cow.
Just thought I'd mention that the demograph of people trying to get in does seem very diverse & not just crackers.

 


Pro USA & Israel

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 02 Jul 22 6.12am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

The Character Ross dated an Asian girl & a coloured girl & Joey dated the same coloured girl -

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 02 Jul 22 6.17am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

Also - if your going to wander back some 25 years + through TV programs that didnt particularly reflect minorities there are plenty to chose from -

And just want to throw this one out there - Benson, the programme with Robert Guillaume as the lead playing the black butler in the white house -I really enjoyed that programme but today it would probably be frowned upon because of typecasting a black butler.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View eritheagle's Profile eritheagle Flag Erith 02 Jul 22 7.51am Send a Private Message to eritheagle Add eritheagle as a friend

Originally posted by Dubai Eagle

The Character Ross dated an Asian girl & a coloured girl & Joey dated the same coloured girl -

Apparently David Schwimmer, who played Ross, made numorous suggestions to the producers that there should be more diversity in the other characters that they date etc.
But the fact that it took til the 9th series for there to be a black woman that they dated is another reason that makes the creator feel bad about herself.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 02 Jul 22 8.30am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

On these things I tend to take the view that those involved were "living in the moment" & the decisions that they made were relevant to the time, Friends was an immensely popular series, one which was probably making everyone involved pots of money, I would imagine movie studios also invest loads of money in programmes & films that lose money, so its relatively easy to see someone deciding that this "cash cow" should be continued without rocking any boats.

For sure if it was remade today it would be significantly different -

2 Programs I would like to see remade today - Yes Minister & Yes Prime Minister, both incredibly funny programs.

Originally posted by eritheagle

Apparently David Schwimmer, who played Ross, made numorous suggestions to the producers that there should be more diversity in the other characters that they date etc.
But the fact that it took til the 9th series for there to be a black woman that they dated is another reason that makes the creator feel bad about herself.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 02 Jul 22 9.56am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by Dubai Eagle

On these things I tend to take the view that those involved were "living in the moment" & the decisions that they made were relevant to the time, Friends was an immensely popular series, one which was probably making everyone involved pots of money, I would imagine movie studios also invest loads of money in programmes & films that lose money, so its relatively easy to see someone deciding that this "cash cow" should be continued without rocking any boats.

For sure if it was remade today it would be significantly different -

2 Programs I would like to see remade today - Yes Minister & Yes Prime Minister, both incredibly funny programs.

There was a remake of Yes, Minister which didn't work. Maybe the original was better cast.
It also came after The Thick of It which was much harder edged.

[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 02 Jul 22 10.27am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle

There was a remake of Yes, Minister which didn't work. Maybe the original was better cast.
It also came after The Thick of It which was much harder edged.

[Link]

They did a stage play which then turned into the TV remake. However it didn't work because the casting of the original was perfect.

Like the remake of Porridge some shows are just so iconic because of the cast. You could never replace John Cleese in Fawlty Towers or Warren Mitchell as Alf Garnet.

Sometimes it is just better to leave well along and come up with something original.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Rudi Hedman's Profile Rudi Hedman Flag Caterham 02 Jul 22 4.27pm Send a Private Message to Rudi Hedman Add Rudi Hedman as a friend

Originally posted by Dubai Eagle

On these things I tend to take the view that those involved were "living in the moment" & the decisions that they made were relevant to the time, Friends was an immensely popular series, one which was probably making everyone involved pots of money, I would imagine movie studios also invest loads of money in programmes & films that lose money, so its relatively easy to see someone deciding that this "cash cow" should be continued without rocking any boats.

For sure if it was remade today it would be significantly different -

2 Programs I would like to see remade today - Yes Minister & Yes Prime Minister, both incredibly funny programs.

The boys used to rib each other by calling each other gay because of little things they did or wore. Wouldn’t happen now. I expect she’ll have to donate $4million to gay rights something.

 


COYP

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 24 Jul 22 7.45am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

There's a bit in the Daily Mail today saying that the woke brigade want archaeologist's that unearth human remains / skeleton's to stop labelling them as either male or female on the basis that there is no evidence as to what that person "identified as" when it was alive, also calling for them to stop labelling skeletons as having skin of a specific colour as it promotes a kind of table of supremacy.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > 'Diversity' in advertising