You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Edouard
October 5 2022 6.08am

Edouard

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

 

View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 24 Aug 22 8.36am Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

Absolute Poppycock, i would have said Hogwash, but Willo has patented it, l thought of claptrap, baloney or balderdash, but settled on poppycock instead

Is 'rhubarb' still available? I have used it once or twice before!

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Slimey Toad's Profile Slimey Toad Flag Karsiyaka, North Cyprus 24 Aug 22 9.16am Send a Private Message to Slimey Toad Add Slimey Toad as a friend

Originally posted by Willo

Use "Hogwash" at your peril.

I am about to patent "Tripe and onions".

Edited by Willo (24 Aug 2022 7.51am)

And 'anger of Vesuvian proportions'. I like that one.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View EddieMac's Profile EddieMac Flag 28 Aug 22 9.16pm Send a Private Message to EddieMac Add EddieMac as a friend

I get the feeling PV is giving OE a fair crack to see if can be the main man before the transfer window closes. So far in my book he is failing his audition. He will get his last chance to dance against Brentford.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag 28 Aug 22 9.49pm Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Originally posted by EddieMac

I get the feeling PV is giving OE a fair crack to see if can be the main man before the transfer window closes. So far in my book he is failing his audition. He will get his last chance to dance against Brentford.

Wonít that be too late?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 28 Aug 22 11.17pm Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by dreamwaverider

Wonít that be too late?

No. There'll still be 2 whole days to get a new striker in plus all the other players we crave! The window closes at 11pm on Thursday.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Pete53's Profile Pete53 Flag Hassocks 28 Aug 22 11.59pm Send a Private Message to Pete53 Add Pete53 as a friend

Originally posted by YT

No. There'll still be 2 whole days to get a new striker in plus all the other players we crave! The window closes at 11pm on Thursday.

Last minute panic rush buys often don't turn out well though.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sprites's Profile sprites Flag Auckland 29 Aug 22 1.42am Send a Private Message to sprites Add sprites as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

Absolute Poppycock, i would have said Hogwash, but Willo has patented it, l thought of claptrap, baloney or balderdash, but settled on poppycock instead

What a surprise.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 29 Aug 22 7.16am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by Pete53

Last minute panic rush buys often don't turn out well though.

Indeed. My post was intended to be ironic.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PatrickA's Profile PatrickA Flag London 05 Sep 22 10.51am Send a Private Message to PatrickA Add PatrickA as a friend

Edouard has had more opportunities this season and sadly I donít think he will be the answer as the central striker in Vieiraís preferred 4-3-3..
This is not a criticism of Edouard , but more an observation that he has a different skill set to that required for the role.
Either we have to change the style of play to accommodate his strengths or accept heís going to be a bit part player.
As I see it the central striker in Vieiraís system requires someone who is mobile, presses the oppositionís defence, links play for the team and coverts a reasonable proportion of the limited chances that we create.
Edouard has good footwork and can work openings in the opposition penalty area, but he rarely gets an opportunity to display these attributes in our system.
Our build up tends to be quite laboured and he doesnít get the early and quick service he probably needs.
The model for what Vieiraís system requires for the central striker is Jesus at Arsenal and obviously we canít afford that class of player.
For different reasons Benteke and Mateta probably didnít/donít have the required skill set either.
Iím not suggesting Vieira should change all his tactical plans to accommodate Edouard, but just acknowledging that the player may well not be the answer through no fault of his own.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 05 Sep 22 11.06am Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by PatrickA

Edouard has had more opportunities this season and sadly I donít think he will be the answer as the central striker in Vieiraís preferred 4-3-3..
This is not a criticism of Edouard , but more an observation that he has a different skill set to that required for the role.
Either we have to change the style of play to accommodate his strengths or accept heís going to be a bit part player.
As I see it the central striker in Vieiraís system requires someone who is mobile, presses the oppositionís defence, links play for the team and coverts a reasonable proportion of the limited chances that we create.
Edouard has good footwork and can work openings in the opposition penalty area, but he rarely gets an opportunity to display these attributes in our system.
Our build up tends to be quite laboured and he doesnít get the early and quick service he probably needs.
The model for what Vieiraís system requires for the central striker is Jesus at Arsenal and obviously we canít afford that class of player.
For different reasons Benteke and Mateta probably didnít/donít have the required skill set either.
Iím not suggesting Vieira should change all his tactical plans to accommodate Edouard, but just acknowledging that the player may well not be the answer through no fault of his own.

I agree, i don't think we have the players to play 4-3-3, the CF is almost a waste of a player, Wilf, Eze and Olise are our best players, and they need to relieve them of responsibility as much as they can, i think the formation i put on the Attack or Defend thread makes the most of what we have, basically 3 attackers and 8 defenders.

 


I remember Paris in '49, The Champs Elysee, Saint Michel And old Beaujolais wine, And I recall that you were mine, In those Parisienne days


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View taylors lovechild's Profile taylors lovechild Flag 05 Sep 22 11.11am Send a Private Message to taylors lovechild Add taylors lovechild as a friend

Originally posted by PatrickA

Edouard has had more opportunities this season and sadly I donít think he will be the answer as the central striker in Vieiraís preferred 4-3-3..
This is not a criticism of Edouard , but more an observation that he has a different skill set to that required for the role.
Either we have to change the style of play to accommodate his strengths or accept heís going to be a bit part player.
As I see it the central striker in Vieiraís system requires someone who is mobile, presses the oppositionís defence, links play for the team and coverts a reasonable proportion of the limited chances that we create.
Edouard has good footwork and can work openings in the opposition penalty area, but he rarely gets an opportunity to display these attributes in our system.
Our build up tends to be quite laboured and he doesnít get the early and quick service he probably needs.
The model for what Vieiraís system requires for the central striker is Jesus at Arsenal and obviously we canít afford that class of player.
For different reasons Benteke and Mateta probably didnít/donít have the required skill set either.
Iím not suggesting Vieira should change all his tactical plans to accommodate Edouard, but just acknowledging that the player may well not be the answer through no fault of his own.

I think a Firminho type player is another example; someone who comes deeper and plays the wingers in, rather than the other way round. Mateta's first touch is awful for a PL player, but he looks more dangerous in the 18-yard box. Edouard has good feet, but seems to want too long on the ball and has so far seemed to struggle with the speed and physicality of the PL. Neither have shone, but Mateta always looks more likely to score out of the two. I am starting to wonder whether Ayew should go back in the middle as he presses well, has lots of energy and retains possession, even if he can't score.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 05 Sep 22 11.18am Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Playing as a central striker in a 4-3-3 is no mean feat in the PL, you pretty much have to be an all rounder.

I would suggest that occasionally, for a player, this can lead to them essentially abandoning their strengths in order to fulfill criteria of the role they are not accustom to and essentially doing no parts of the role particularly well (Benteke).

As things currently stand, I would suggest Mateta is our best option up front for this reason as he has the physical, and to a less but still proficient extent the general footballing capability to do so however his main aim is still to put the ball in the back of the net.

Benteke forever looked lost as to what he should be doing up there which essentially led to him being unable of even conceiving the notion of scoring and I fear Edouard is taking the same course. Just my opinion as always.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > Edouard