You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Is Anyone NOT on strike?
November 28 2022 8.37am

Is Anyone NOT on strike?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 > Last >>

Play our World Cup 2022 Prediction League!

World Cup Prediction League 2022

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!


 

View Palace Old Geezer's Profile Palace Old Geezer Flag Midhurst 02 Sep 22 12.37pm Send a Private Message to Palace Old Geezer Add Palace Old Geezer as a friend

Suggestions now that our dedicated nurses are planning to go on strike. So we've already seen the rail staff, post office workers, bus drivers, airline workers, barristers etc etc.

I fail to understand the mentality of anyone opting to go on strike in protest about low pay at a time when the country is recovering from the costs brought about by Covid, is throwing buckets of money at the dangerous war in Ukraine and attempting to offset the extortionate fuel costs resulting from it.

Seems to me like there's a failure of folk to understand the seriousness of the economic situation we're faced with. Everyone is having to make sacrifices in order to keep fed and warm during the winter. Where is the money for wage increases going to come from.

Meantime, it feels like more people are on strike than at work.

 


Dad and I watched games standing on the muddy slope of the Holmesdale Road end. He cheered and I rattled.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View cryrst's Profile cryrst Flag The garden of England 02 Sep 22 1.31pm Send a Private Message to cryrst Add cryrst as a friend

Originally posted by Palace Old Geezer

Suggestions now that our dedicated nurses are planning to go on strike. So we've already seen the rail staff, post office workers, bus drivers, airline workers, barristers etc etc.

I fail to understand the mentality of anyone opting to go on strike in protest about low pay at a time when the country is recovering from the costs brought about by Covid, is throwing buckets of money at the dangerous war in Ukraine and attempting to offset the extortionate fuel costs resulting from it.

Seems to me like there's a failure of folk to understand the seriousness of the economic situation we're faced with. Everyone is having to make sacrifices in order to keep fed and warm during the winter. Where is the money for wage increases going to come from.

Meantime, it feels like more people are on strike than at work.

Easy tiger. Certain posters will be calling you Tory loving scum.
How dare you speak sense. inflation is set to be back to 3-4% by next years end.
All these rises that these workers want will only end up with cuts to services. The finger though won’t be pointed at the actual strikers but hmg.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 02 Sep 22 1.45pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

If people are poorly paid and badly treated, I support the strikes. People should be able to afford to live on their wages. Wages have been effectively cut by up to a quarter in some cases, due to the current cost of living. Companies are still posting profits, however, and my opinion is - they can take a hit on those profits, particularly the larger companies. Where I would have sympathy is for small and small-medium business where a couple of poor months could mean going to the wall. I expect energy costs are actually the main problem here and are not being dealt with effectively. I heard energy companies are posting record profits - if that's the case it's a bit of a disgrace.

 


Patrick Vieira's
Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View silvertop's Profile silvertop Flag Portishead 02 Sep 22 2.15pm Send a Private Message to silvertop Add silvertop as a friend

Originally posted by ASCPFC

If people are poorly paid and badly treated, I support the strikes. People should be able to afford to live on their wages. Wages have been effectively cut by up to a quarter in some cases, due to the current cost of living. Companies are still posting profits, however, and my opinion is - they can take a hit on those profits, particularly the larger companies. Where I would have sympathy is for small and small-medium business where a couple of poor months could mean going to the wall. I expect energy costs are actually the main problem here and are not being dealt with effectively. I heard energy companies are posting record profits - if that's the case it's a bit of a disgrace.

Energy supply companies making a mint. Utility companies not so.

SME employees unlikely to strike. Only the heavily unionised public or quasi public sector.

I worked in the public sector and wages were frozen for 5 years. It hurt. And that was with little inflation. With no or nominal increases for years and the cost of living crisis they are having to put food on the table with a huge chunk of real income lost.

In terms of those who attack them on the basis that it is tough but we are all in it together etc they seem to be retired folk with no mortgage and an index linked pension.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Glazier#1's Profile Glazier#1 Flag 02 Sep 22 2.50pm Send a Private Message to Glazier#1 Add Glazier#1 as a friend

Originally posted by silvertop

Energy supply companies making a mint. Utility companies not so.

SME employees unlikely to strike. Only the heavily unionised public or quasi public sector.

I worked in the public sector and wages were frozen for 5 years. It hurt. And that was with little inflation. With no or nominal increases for years and the cost of living crisis they are having to put food on the table with a huge chunk of real income lost.

In terms of those who attack them on the basis that it is tough but we are all in it together etc they seem to be retired folk with no mortgage and an index linked pension.

Yes. I see workers at my college taking home just 1K a month for a full week and they have rent to pay, food, bills. They haven't had a pay rise more than 1% for the last 10 years.

This has a cumulative effect on workers, who have been remarkably patient after the last financial crisis. Yes, the banks who needed bailing out.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 02 Sep 22 2.58pm

Originally posted by Palace Old Geezer

Suggestions now that our dedicated nurses are planning to go on strike. So we've already seen the rail staff, post office workers, bus drivers, airline workers, barristers etc etc.

I fail to understand the mentality of anyone opting to go on strike in protest about low pay at a time when the country is recovering from the costs brought about by Covid, is throwing buckets of money at the dangerous war in Ukraine and attempting to offset the extortionate fuel costs resulting from it.

Seems to me like there's a failure of folk to understand the seriousness of the economic situation we're faced with. Everyone is having to make sacrifices in order to keep fed and warm during the winter. Where is the money for wage increases going to come from.

Meantime, it feels like more people are on strike than at work.


MPs took a 10% pay rise on top of expenses, and the government introduced the bankers million pounds bonus"s again a month ago, maybe more
Start at the top and then worry about the grafters at the bottom keeping up!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 02 Sep 22 2.59pm

Originally posted by cryrst

Easy tiger. Certain posters will be calling you Tory loving scum.
How dare you speak sense. inflation is set to be back to 3-4% by next years end.
All these rises that these workers want will only end up with cuts to services. The finger though won’t be pointed at the actual strikers but hmg.

3-4%, or 22%

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 02 Sep 22 3.02pm

Got to laugh at the bank of england boss taking £650 a year and telling workers not to ask for a pay rise because it wil;l fuel inflation!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Flag 02 Sep 22 3.03pm Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend

Originally posted by croydon proud


MPs took a 10% pay rise on top of expenses, and the government introduced the bankers million pounds bonus"s again a month ago, maybe more
Start at the top and then worry about the grafters at the bottom keeping up!

10%?

[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 02 Sep 22 3.04pm

Originally posted by croydon proud

Got to laugh at the bank of england boss taking £650 a year and telling workers not to ask for a pay rise because it wil;l fuel inflation!

Even £ 650k a year!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
croydon proud Flag Any european country i fancy! 02 Sep 22 3.09pm

Ok, well its gone up 17k since 2010, about 20% pay rise while others havent budged, not bad indeed!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Quote this post in a reply
View Glazier#1's Profile Glazier#1 Flag 02 Sep 22 3.12pm Send a Private Message to Glazier#1 Add Glazier#1 as a friend

Originally posted by cryrst

Easy tiger. Certain posters will be calling you Tory loving scum.
How dare you speak sense. inflation is set to be back to 3-4% by next years end.
All these rises that these workers want will only end up with cuts to services. The finger though won’t be pointed at the actual strikers but hmg.

I wonder, Cryrst, if you would ever support any strike under any circumstances.

Please don't think I'm being aggressively antagonistic. It's not that but simply a desire to know.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > News & Politics > Is Anyone NOT on strike?