You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > OneLove armband
November 27 2022 3.20pm

OneLove armband

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

Play our World Cup 2022 Prediction League!

World Cup Prediction League 2022

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!


 

View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 11 Oct 22 2.58pm Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

So apparently Harry Kane along with the captains of 9 other countries is going to wear an armband in Qatar, supporting LGBTQ rights.

Whilst Iím not against rights for anyone Iíve got 2 major issues with this:

Football, and all sport, should be about the sport. And not about political or social agendas. The FA will pick and chose what movements it wants to support and behave apoliticality the rest of the time. So in Qatar, the English are protesting that Qatar hate the gays, but weíre not doing anything about the working conditions for all the immigrant workers, or any of the other social issues at hand.

The horse has bolted, Qatar hosting the WC was always the wrong decision for many reasons. Why didnít those 9 countries group together pre Qatar being awarded? Why didnít they get the top 10, top 20 ranked nations to commit to not playing if Qatar were awarded? Pretty sure FIFA would have moved it somewhere else if the product was going to be tarnished.

[Link]

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 11 Oct 22 5.30pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

We all wish England would worry about the football more than anything else. You wonder if they travel by coach, plane or band-wagon these days? If they played great football, all well and good. Say what you like. When you don't, best to concentrate on getting better, rather than be sidetracked constantly by the latest media issue.
And you're quite right. No one needs to wear anything if the authorities weren't corrupt. Without full on, easily proveable corruption, there is no way that this world cup would be at Christmas in Qatar. The whole thing is as f***ed up as a table with two legs and an arsehole.
The game has been about money for such a long time now that its motto should be from Wall Street or Jerry Maguire. It's not beautiful, it's as beautiful as studying accountancy. My apologies to the accountants amongst us.

 


Patrick Vieira's
Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Spiderman's Profile Spiderman Flag Horsham 11 Oct 22 6.19pm Send a Private Message to Spiderman Add Spiderman as a friend

Originally posted by MrRobbo

So apparently Harry Kane along with the captains of 9 other countries is going to wear an armband in Qatar, supporting LGBTQ rights.

Whilst Iím not against rights for anyone Iíve got 2 major issues with this:

Football, and all sport, should be about the sport. And not about political or social agendas. The FA will pick and chose what movements it wants to support and behave apoliticality the rest of the time. So in Qatar, the English are protesting that Qatar hate the gays, but weíre not doing anything about the working conditions for all the immigrant workers, or any of the other social issues at hand.

The horse has bolted, Qatar hosting the WC was always the wrong decision for many reasons. Why didnít those 9 countries group together pre Qatar being awarded? Why didnít they get the top 10, top 20 ranked nations to commit to not playing if Qatar were awarded? Pretty sure FIFA would have moved it somewhere else if the product was going to be tarnished.

[Link]

Totally agree. A decision made with the help of brown envelopes

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 11 Oct 22 10.44pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Unfortunately it's so obviously wrong on so many levels that it is worthy or a slot on a sketch show however it only seems to chime in with the rest of everything these days.

Qatar: Obviously bought this world cup and trying to 'sportswash' it's reputation even doing so with terrible human rights abuses. It's almost biblical in it's nature - a nation using foreigners like slaves for colossal building projects.

FIFA: Awarding the WC to a country with no status on the footballing stage and somewhere you can't even drink alcohol, is strictly religious, has a climate that makes the WC unplayable in summer and of course is awash with extreme wealth and poverty simultaneously.

It's all well me slinging up a 'WTF?' GIF for a few likes but does make you wonder as to just what the f**k is going on in the higher echelons of this world! Have to say my biggest beef is still this, what feels like, hijacking of a World Cup, the greatest thing in the world to me, for reasons totally outside of football.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 12 Oct 22 8.17am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

The WC should be a reward for a country an acknowledgment of their contribution to football.

I had no problem with South Africa getting it because the continent of Africa has provided many great players and football has come on leaps and bounds since the sixties.

South Africa was the only country that could host a WC in Africa although they are not necessarily the best footballing nation the rest understood that SA was representing them.

I don't think Qatar has ever qualified for the WC or even provided any world class players so that is why it stinks.

If you wanted a ME WC there are other nations with a better pedigree.

There are plenty of ME nations who could have put it on and were more worthy.

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Teddy Eagle's Profile Teddy Eagle Online Flag 12 Oct 22 8.28am Send a Private Message to Teddy Eagle Add Teddy Eagle as a friend


Estimates on the cost of this WC range from £200 bn upwards, obviously they've had to build new stadiums (stadia?) but going forward the investment will scare off a lot of countries from bidding. The next one is spread across America, Canada and Mexico who between them do have the facilities but could mean a lot of travelling for the fans.
2030 could be in Argentina & Uruguay - have Uruguay got big enough grounds?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 12 Oct 22 9.09am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

I can't see many England fans going to Qatar apart from the die hards.

Apart from the obvious difficulties of getting alcohol what else is their to do whilst waiting for your next game? Chat up the local women

Apparently the hotel prices are though the roof, if this was say France you might take a tent but who wants that when the heat is 40c+.

This could be one of the worst attended world cups.

Edited by Badger11 (12 Oct 2022 9.10am)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 12 Oct 22 11.30am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

Originally posted by Teddy Eagle


Estimates on the cost of this WC range from £200 bn upwards, obviously they've had to build new stadiums (stadia?) but going forward the investment will scare off a lot of countries from bidding. The next one is spread across America, Canada and Mexico who between them do have the facilities but could mean a lot of travelling for the fans.
2030 could be in Argentina & Uruguay - have Uruguay got big enough grounds?

"Stadiums" is fine.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View MrRobbo's Profile MrRobbo Flag Purley 12 Oct 22 11.48am Send a Private Message to MrRobbo Add MrRobbo as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

I can't see many England fans going to Qatar apart from the die hards.

Apart from the obvious difficulties of getting alcohol what else is their to do whilst waiting for your next game? Chat up the local women

Apparently the hotel prices are though the roof, if this was say France you might take a tent but who wants that when the heat is 40c+.

This could be one of the worst attended world cups.

Edited by Badger11 (12 Oct 2022 9.10am)

I've been to Qatar a couple of times visiting friends. They lived on a compound so feels quite isolated from the outside, has its own shop, sports club, pool etc.

I agree it wont be well attended, but I'd be interested to know how that money is split. e.g. all TV to FIFA, and most of hte gate receipts to to the host FA?

So will FIFA give a sh1t, as long as the TV product is good?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 12 Oct 22 12.21pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

I can't see many England fans going to Qatar apart from the die hards.

Apart from the obvious difficulties of getting alcohol what else is their to do whilst waiting for your next game? Chat up the local women

Apparently the hotel prices are though the roof, if this was say France you might take a tent but who wants that when the heat is 40c+.

This could be one of the worst attended world cups.

Edited by Badger11 (12 Oct 2022 9.10am)

I'm confident it will be the worst. Not just in terms of numbers but the composition and demographic of those numbers too. Can see a dead rubber being attended by just a few sheikhs and heirs plus some coerced peasants too!

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View ASCPFC's Profile ASCPFC Flag Pro-Cathedral/caravan park 12 Oct 22 5.52pm Send a Private Message to ASCPFC Add ASCPFC as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

I'm confident it will be the worst. Not just in terms of numbers but the composition and demographic of those numbers too. Can see a dead rubber being attended by just a few sheikhs and heirs plus some coerced peasants too!

They will fake attendances, just like they faked the bidding process and faked a load of immigrants to die making stadia. Probably, will even fake a few results. When something seems this wrong, it is this wrong.

 


Patrick Vieira's
Red and Blue Army!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View YT's Profile YT Flag Oxford 14 Oct 22 7.07am Send a Private Message to YT Add YT as a friend

It's funny but I don't remember the protests by the England players in Russia 2018. Russia doesn't like the gays either. Or black people.

 


Palace since 19 August 1972. Palace 1 (Tony Taylor) Liverpool 1 (Emlyn Hughes)

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last >>

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > OneLove armband