You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > Footballer heights exaggerated?
December 8 2022 3.54pm

Footballer heights exaggerated?

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Play our World Cup 2022 Prediction League!

World Cup Prediction League 2022

Sponsor a forum or Advertise on the HOL!


 

View Zaha127's Profile Zaha127 Flag 24 Oct 22 2.58pm Send a Private Message to Zaha127 Add Zaha127 as a friend

To think a lot of heights listed for footballers are exaggerated.

E.g. currently for Trippier it shows 5 foot 10, Conor Gallagher close to 6 foot, Schlupp 5 foot 10, Hazard 5 foot 9 etc..

Trippier is never 5 foot 10 maybe between 5 foot 7 and 8.
No way is Gallagher close to 6 feet.
Schlupp is probably 5 foot 8 maximum.
Hazard is under 5 foot 8 for sure.

It makes you wonder who measures their heights and how can it be gotten wrong as height is fairly easy to measure considering most clubs have stadiometers which is probably one of the most accurate ways to measure height. The other day I came across Eze one website saying he is 5 foot 10 while the other is saying he is 5 foot 8.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 24 Oct 22 4.07pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by Zaha127

To think a lot of heights listed for footballers are exaggerated.

E.g. currently for Trippier it shows 5 foot 10, Conor Gallagher close to 6 foot, Schlupp 5 foot 10, Hazard 5 foot 9 etc..

Trippier is never 5 foot 10 maybe between 5 foot 7 and 8.
No way is Gallagher close to 6 feet.
Schlupp is probably 5 foot 8 maximum.
Hazard is under 5 foot 8 for sure.

It makes you wonder who measures their heights and how can it be gotten wrong as height is fairly easy to measure considering most clubs have stadiometers which is probably one of the most accurate ways to measure height. The other day I came across Eze one website saying he is 5 foot 10 while the other is saying he is 5 foot 8.

A very interesting point and whilst they may not be 'exaggerated' I would certainly suggest they are almost always 'wrong'.

I noted that Scott Dann fell from 6'5 to 6'3 whilst with us and Guaita is penned at 6'4 in some places which I am dubious about.

My favourite is Kouyate, who in context with other footballers is feasibly billed as 6'2 and often seen as a 'unit'. I was fortunate enough to meet him outside Selhurst once and he was about my height (I am just short of 6'1 so would say '6 foot' if asked) and he had legs thinner than my arms! Whilst I do 'work out' I won't be contesting Mr Olympia anytime soon, was quite a shock.

Met Andersen outside Glaziers Lounge shortly after Villa game, he seemed about 8 foot when stood next to so even 6'5 feels a bit short of truth!

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Zaha127's Profile Zaha127 Flag 24 Oct 22 5.03pm Send a Private Message to Zaha127 Add Zaha127 as a friend

Originally posted by Nicholas91

A very interesting point and whilst they may not be 'exaggerated' I would certainly suggest they are almost always 'wrong'.

I noted that Scott Dann fell from 6'5 to 6'3 whilst with us and Guaita is penned at 6'4 in some places which I am dubious about.

My favourite is Kouyate, who in context with other footballers is feasibly billed as 6'2 and often seen as a 'unit'. I was fortunate enough to meet him outside Selhurst once and he was about my height (I am just short of 6'1 so would say '6 foot' if asked) and he had legs thinner than my arms! Whilst I do 'work out' I won't be contesting Mr Olympia anytime soon, was quite a shock.

Met Andersen outside Glaziers Lounge shortly after Villa game, he seemed about 8 foot when stood next to so even 6'5 feels a bit short of truth!


I think every height is exaggerated by 1-3 inches. Even Edouard they say is 6 foot 2 but he looks a few inches shorter.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Zaha127's Profile Zaha127 Flag 24 Oct 22 5.28pm Send a Private Message to Zaha127 Add Zaha127 as a friend

Even someone like Lisandro Martinez he is not 5 foot 9 you can tell.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View martin2412's Profile martin2412 Flag The Big Wide World 24 Oct 22 8.07pm Send a Private Message to martin2412 Add martin2412 as a friend

During the late 90s I was invited by a company in the Midlands to a corporate box at Wolves v QPR.

We were being shown around the ground before the game and were in the away changing room when the QPR players turned up. I remember remarking to my colleague at the time how small all the players were. I reckon the majority of them were 5'7" or shorter.

I have a picture from that day of us and Ade Akinbye when he was a Wolves player (he wasn't short). Nice bloke actually but cack player !

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View mezzer's Profile mezzer Flag Main Stand, Block F, Row 20 seat 1... 25 Oct 22 10.22am Send a Private Message to mezzer Add mezzer as a friend

I've just booked to go to a Panto over Christmas. Exciting. This year it's Snow White and the 7 Six Footers.

 


Living down here does have some advantages. At least you can see them cry.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Badger11's Profile Badger11 Flag Beckenham 25 Oct 22 10.45am Send a Private Message to Badger11 Add Badger11 as a friend

Originally posted by mezzer

I've just booked to go to a Panto over Christmas. Exciting. This year it's Snow White and the 7 Six Footers.

You are being hightiest.

Those of us who are short of statue prefer to be called Vertically Challenged. It's tough going through life like this but I am sure a large benefit cheque each month could ease the pain.

Edited by Badger11 (25 Oct 2022 10.45am)

 


One more point

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View PalazioVecchio's Profile PalazioVecchio Flag south pole 26 Oct 22 11.38pm Send a Private Message to PalazioVecchio Add PalazioVecchio as a friend

on more than one occasion i have stood at an Airport Luggage-carousel beside some high-profile rugby teams.......

i felt like a Hobbit at a Druids convention.
------------------------------------------------

Diego Maradona, maybe the greatest of all time.......and a short ass. So there really is some fairness in the World.

 


7 points from Manchester last season

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View dreamwaverider's Profile dreamwaverider Flag London 26 Oct 22 11.48pm Send a Private Message to dreamwaverider Add dreamwaverider as a friend

Originally posted by Badger11

You are being hightiest.

Those of us who are short of statue prefer to be called Vertically Challenged. It's tough going through life like this but I am sure a large benefit cheque each month could ease the pain.

Edited by Badger11 (25 Oct 2022 10.45am)

Vertically challenged as opposed to a six footer?

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Goal Machine's Profile Goal Machine Flag The Cronx 27 Oct 22 5.46am Send a Private Message to Goal Machine Add Goal Machine as a friend

Nah, why would they be exaggerated?

In many professional sports it helps to be physically big. Itís not uncommon, as we saw in the Academy documentary, that kids get booted out due to being too short.

Iíve not researched Zaha but he walked past me in the office about 3 years ago and the first thing which surprised me was how tall he was - and Iím 6.1ft. I think they perhaps seem shorter than we think because most of them are quite tall.

I remember watching the New York Knicks years ago and after watching I googled the Ďshort blokeí - he was 6.3ft!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Dubai Eagle's Profile Dubai Eagle Flag 27 Oct 22 6.37am Send a Private Message to Dubai Eagle Add Dubai Eagle as a friend

Very first time I saw Liverpool at Selhurst park, I was only about 12 or 13 at the time, (probably a cup game) my first thoughts were in comparison to our team - OMG they are absolutely huge (tall) it looked like every one of them was 6ft 3 or more -

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Pierre's Profile Pierre Flag Purley 03 Nov 22 1.33pm Send a Private Message to Pierre Add Pierre as a friend

Originally posted by Dubai Eagle

Very first time I saw Liverpool at Selhurst park, I was only about 12 or 13 at the time, (probably a cup game) my first thoughts were in comparison to our team - OMG they are absolutely huge (tall) it looked like every one of them was 6ft 3 or more -

That was just their over inflated ego's Bloody Scousers!

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 


Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Football Talk > Footballer heights exaggerated?