You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > The Palace Spirit Has Gone
January 30 2023 12.25pm

The Palace Spirit Has Gone

Previous Topic | Next Topic


Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

 

View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 15 Jan 23 8.31pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by Croydon-Trucker

you have it in a nutshell Lanzo. Our lack of respect was what i loved the most in those days , we didnt care who the f*** they thought they were or how entitled they were we showed no fear. Personally i think its down to recruitment , we didnt just go out and buy lads that are half good with potential , we bought ( and i remember Parish saying it at the time and wondered WTF he was going on about) we dont just want players that want a paycheque we want players that want to be in and fit the DNA of our club . We had great players , we had tough b******s in midfield like the Jedi and after him Luka, we had our flair players Bolasie and Wilf creative players Cabye Puncheon, defenders that were like brick walls like Delaney Ward and many more that didnt give a toss about what car they were driving or their hair , they played with a love for the club and crowd. We played with an arrogance , you might get passed me once but you wont get another chance . I miss it i want it back . We are too predictable now !! Bolasie even said it himself " i dont even know what im gonna do when i get the ball " We also had the lightning counter attack . We could turn a corner against us into a goal the other end in 5 seconds . We have lost our way and the DNA .


Excellent piece, i wish you could send it to Parish

 


Does anyone know the way? Did we hear someone say?
(We just haven't got a clue what to do!)
Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nubes's Profile Nubes Flag London 15 Jan 23 10.01pm Send a Private Message to Nubes Add Nubes as a friend

So so true. The spirit, the energy our identity has vanished.

It was unique and a strong sense of purpose mixed with a togetherness that drove us as a club on the pitch.

I miss that feeling
Itís like a hollow shell watching the team play.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View iheartcpfc's Profile iheartcpfc Flag SE25 16 Jan 23 3.07am Send a Private Message to iheartcpfc Add iheartcpfc as a friend

Christ I miss the us against the world feeling

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View thai-eagle's Profile thai-eagle Flag chiang mai 16 Jan 23 3.30am Send a Private Message to thai-eagle Add thai-eagle as a friend

I turned on TV last night (Thai time) just before the triple substitution. And was actually impressed with our team.
OUT: Ayew - work hard, falling too much and very little end product.
Eze - for all his outstanding qualities, is not a player we need in present circumstances (fighting for survival).
Schlupp - simply not good enough for PL.
Ward - not there.
With Hughes to get stuck in, two up front and Wilf & Olise on the wings, Palace really gave Chelsea a huge scare. Finally, we turned up as a PL side and with this formation/positive attitude, we will nick enough points to stay up.
PS! How did the Chelsea goalie avoid a yellow card in the end? Twice the crowd threw the ball to him, twice he threw it back - never seen that kind of time wasted before.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View rikz's Profile rikz Flag Croydon 16 Jan 23 2.58pm Send a Private Message to rikz Add rikz as a friend

I must have missed all the success we had under that great spirit

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Nicholas91's Profile Nicholas91 Flag The Democratic Republic of Kent 16 Jan 23 3.16pm Send a Private Message to Nicholas91 Add Nicholas91 as a friend

Originally posted by rikz

I must have missed all the success we had under that great spirit

All jokes aside it will seem like success if we do fall into relegation places.

We certainly won't be in a cup final come the end of season either.

 


Now Zaha's got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose... not a bad effort!!!!

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Lanzo-Ad's Profile Lanzo-Ad Flag Lanzarote 16 Jan 23 3.56pm Send a Private Message to Lanzo-Ad Add Lanzo-Ad as a friend

Originally posted by rikz

I must have missed all the success we had under that great spirit

If you dont understand what the Palace DNA is about that is very sad

 


Does anyone know the way? Did we hear someone say?
(We just haven't got a clue what to do!)
Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way


Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Far away fan's Profile Far away fan Flag On the border of jungle 16 Jan 23 3.56pm Send a Private Message to Far away fan Add Far away fan as a friend

I just feel SP needs to sell the club, I have been a supporter since the 60s been to games in old third division, there is no new stadium coming, players urgently need to be bought in, SP and American owners are just draining the club now, it needs a different level off investment from what current owners are providing, CPFC with the correct investment can be huge, now just being held back, if wrong section I have posted my apologies, just a frustration off being a fan off CPFC

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View rikz's Profile rikz Flag Croydon 16 Jan 23 4.49pm Send a Private Message to rikz Add rikz as a friend

Originally posted by Lanzo-Ad

If you dont understand what the Palace DNA is about that is very sad

Whats that then ? Being a club that predominantly plays in the second tier in English football.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View Slimey Toad's Profile Slimey Toad Flag Karsiyaka, North Cyprus 16 Jan 23 4.52pm Send a Private Message to Slimey Toad Add Slimey Toad as a friend

Dare I say it but become a fixture in the EPL and you lose a large part of your human face or soul. Think about it: players getting into trouble in hum drum dives in Croydon like Joe Bananas (Geoff Thomas comes to mind).

Schlupp, Olise, Edouard, Mateta (for all his flag kicking antics): where are the characters in the side? Only Wilf (and dependable Wardy).

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View sydtheeagle's Profile sydtheeagle Flag England 17 Jan 23 9.32am Send a Private Message to sydtheeagle Add sydtheeagle as a friend

I think you are right. Put simply, we play in a league that isn't designed to be competitive and we've adapted accordingly, losing our competitive soul in the process. We've accepted our position as second-class citizens that exist to provide cannon fodder for our betters while putting on a bit of entertainment into the bargain (and blood and guts; the backs-to-the-wall Palace spirit of old isn't deemed entertaining these days).

It's an awful situation. The club has slowly become unrecognizable over the past three or four years. While I'm loathe to criticize him, Parish appears to have lost his grip, allowing the club we were to disappear but not competently supporting its transition to anything better. His performance over the past two transfer windows has been horrendous. Having put a platform in place for a new side in the summer of 2021, he has completely failed (for whatever reason) to build on and cement it with the result that over the past few weeks, the foundations have rapidly started to fall apart. Arguments about whether Vieira should be fired make me laugh. If I was Patrick, I'd be thinking about walking out. We seem to have neither a plan nor any ambition to support the manager, regardless of who he is.

We've had a good ten-year run and the Delaneys, Danns, Wards and their ilk (proper Palace players) are mostly gone now. What remains isn't a Palace side as, historically, we've known it. I suspect that the only thing that will bring the Palace spirit back is relegation. See, there yet may be an upside to going down.

Edited by sydtheeagle (17 Jan 2023 9.33am)

 


Sydenham by birth. Selhurst by the Grace of God.

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply
View southnorwoodhill's Profile southnorwoodhill Flag 17 Jan 23 9.41am Send a Private Message to southnorwoodhill Add southnorwoodhill as a friend

Originally posted by sydtheeagle

I think you are right. Put simply, we play in a league that isn't designed to be competitive and we've adapted accordingly, losing our competitive soul in the process. We've accepted our position as second-class citizens that exist to provide cannon fodder for our betters while putting on a bit of entertainment into the bargain (and blood and guts; the backs-to-the-wall Palace spirit of old isn't deemed entertaining these days).

It's an awful situation. The club has slowly become unrecognizable over the past three or four years. While I'm loathe to criticize him, Parish appears to have lost his grip, allowing the club we were to disappear but not competently supporting its transition to anything better. His performance over the past two transfer windows has been horrendous. Having put a platform in place for a new side in the summer of 2021, he has completely failed (for whatever reason) to build on and cement it with the result that over the past few weeks, the foundations have rapidly started to fall apart. Arguments about whether Vieira should be fired make me laugh. If I was Patrick, I'd be thinking about walking out. We seem to have neither a plan nor any ambition to support the manager, regardless of who he is.

We've had a good ten-year run and the Delaneys, Danns, Wards and their ilk (proper Palace players) are mostly gone now. What remains isn't a Palace side as, historically, we've known it. I suspect that the only thing that will bring the Palace spirit back is relegation. See, there yet may be an upside to going down.

Edited by sydtheeagle (17 Jan 2023 9.33am)

Good post. The PL exists as a league of 20 to legitimise to certain few at the top with all the money. The rest are just squabbling for the crumbs. It's a fine reflection of our society.

 

Alert Alert a moderator to this post Edit this post Quote this post in a reply

 

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Previous Topic | Next Topic

You are here: Home > Message Board > Palace Talk > The Palace Spirit Has Gone